Another new school…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Governor of Georgia is seeking to push a dental school at Georgia Southern University. It seems that since most dentists aren’t taking Medicaid, the solution is to build a school and have students that are working for free treat this patient population. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
The Governor of Georgia is seeking to push a dental school at Georgia Southern University. It seems that since most dentists aren’t taking Medicaid, the solution is to build a school and have students that are working for free treat this patient population. Thoughts?

Gonna be one hell of an expensive school if they are “free treating” patients.

I think access to care is an issue but it cannot be solved by opening dental schools. It’s all theater. The fee schedule for Medicaid is punitive in most states and should be raised significantly if it is a political priority. Another option to address the issue are publicly funded clinics.
Call me cynical but I don’t think the governor is interested in solving the healthcare problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's never been about access to care. Opening a dental school is in itself a business venture.

Reactions: 3 users
Every dental school they open has a “mission”
or a humanitarian agenda to validate the need. Which is all BS. Ultimately they’ll fill classes with the majority students who will pretend to fit the mold and then just go to the cities they want to live in and raise their families. Those cities will likely be saturated already and the dentists will just sign on with the DSO’s where the risk is low and money “guaranteed”. It’s unfortunate but a consistent pattern. I dont see it happening soon, but I have to imagine some start closing down at some point. But as long as the applicants and money are there, they’ll keep opening.

Reactions: 7 users
I think access to care is an issue
I think people not brushing their teeth is the bigger issue. It’s really not that hard to prevent 90% of the crap dentists have to fix. But, we cannot enforce personal responsibility, since everyone is a victim in today’s culture.

“It’s because of the patriarchy and systemic racism that I have rampant decay! It has absolutely nothing to do with my garbage diet and that I maybe brush my teeth once a month!”

Big Hoss

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Every dental school they open has a “mission”
or a humanitarian agenda to validate the need. Which is all BS. Ultimately they’ll fill classes with the majority students who will pretend to fit the mold and then just go to the cities they want to live in and raise their families. Those cities will likely be saturated already and the dentists will just sign on with the DSO’s where the risk is low and money “guaranteed”. It’s unfortunate but a consistent pattern. I dont see it happening soon, but I have to imagine some start closing down at some point. But as long as the applicants and money are there, they’ll keep opening.
I think after dental schools, most dentists started to enjoy the conveniences/ amenities that decently big cities offer. Most refuse to come back to their small towns, where it might be extremely difficult for their spouses to find decent jobs or their kids to attend good schools. Nobody in their late 20 early 30s want to come back to podunk Iowa or montana to practice and it is the truth. Nobody wants to take medicaid insulting low fees either...those a_+holes open dschool just to make money, no doubt about it

I think after dental schools, most dentists started to enjoy the conveniences/ amenities that decently big cities offer. Most refuse to come back to their small towns, where it might be extremely difficult for their spouses to find decent jobs or their kids to attend good schools. Nobody in their late 20 early 30s want to come back to podunk Iowa or montana to practice and it is the truth. Nobody wants to take medicaid insulting low fees either...those a_+holes open dschool just to make money, no doubt about it
100%

The other hypocrisy of these new private schools is the amount of debt their graduates end up with make it impossible for them to subsist on Medicaid reimbursements or community dentistry salary. So we all know the "access to care" line is all a facade.