Do I need to retake licensing exams if I move to another state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boooberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know if I would have to take licensing exams again if I choose to move to another state? Say, if I wanted to move 10 years after doing the WREB, do I have to do this again? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to inquire about this too. I've heard it depends on the State. I graduated from an American dental school (2016) but have been practicing in Canada since then. I took the NERB (CDCA) boards to keep my options open. If I decide to move back to States in future, would I need to retake the exam again? That sounds like a headache finding patients for the live patient portion all over again. I remember that being a big pain.

Depends on the state. You need to take it if you are moving in a certain time frame (like within two years of graduating dental school). However, most states let you get licensure by credentials (i.e. if you have your license in another state and are in good standing). You have to be careful with licensure by credential because some states are very specific. For example: some states allow you to get your license from portfolio... Now you have your license and you've worked there for years... If you want to move to another state by licensure they may say, "sure, you can get your license here but NOT if you get licensure by portfolio originally."

There are lots of ways to get licensure; however, if you are looking at all of your options and the only one that makes sense for your situation is having taken a test (WREB or NERB) then you may have to take a test if you have not already. For example, if you took the WREB and the state only accepts NERB then you would have to take the NERB.

If you took the WREB prior to 2018 you didn't get to do the new prosth section, some states make you take the prosth section. In my case, I had to fly out to another state, take just the prosth section, pass it, and then I was considered for licensure in the state I was moving to.

Here is an ADA source:

In the end though, once you have worked and are in good standing for a few years you pretty much can always get licensure by credential and move state to state with few exceptions. Canada is the obvious wrench here... But you wont have to keep taking the NERB over and over again for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
And what happens if I apply for licensure in a state after my residency and I am an international dentist ( not done DDS/DMD), do states allow licensure by reciprocity or credentials despite me not having a DDS/DMD but a residency from US?