This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NolaBola2015

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
So I applied to dental schools this year. At the moment, I am on one waitlist for Nova Southeastern University's School of Dentistry. I'm trying to figure out what to do next year on the chance that I don't get into their dental school. I'm about to meet with an academic advisor from my undergrad to talk about options, but I figured that this would be a good place to also see if anyone has any advice to help me.
A little about me:
I got a BS in psychology with a minor in biology from the University of Alabama. (I was originally pre-med and decided like two months before graduation that I wanted to switch to dentistry - long story). My overall GPA was 3.28 and my science GPA was ~2.6. I took the following year to take some science classes at a closer university (University of Alabama - Birmingham) to home while shadowing my family dentist. I raised my science GPA enough to get accepted to a Master of Science of Biomedical Sciences program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. I finished that program with a 3.38 GPA overall. I took the DAT last July and got a 21 AA (PAT-25, QR-21, RC-20, Bio-21, GC-20, OC-21, TS-21). So this year, I applied to dental schools while working as a temp dental assistant to offices around my hometown. I did that full time in the fall and now part time due to other obligations that came up.
Because I've only been waitlisted at one school, I started applying to more post baq/Master programs just to start the ball rolling on a plan for next year. I got accepted to one post-baq so far (I applied to three) but then the thought crossed my mind that if getting another Master in the same degree is useful or if I should go for a different program (like MPH or MBA) in order to help with other options if dental schools do not pan out.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.