another img question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tito8512

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to know wat usmle scores does an img need to be able to get into a general surgery residency?.i know its hard and that its harder for imgs but i just want to know.how hard is it to get a solid program,doesnt have to be the best one but a good residency program.

i know this forum is for ortho but i didnt c a forum for general surgery.ohh i also want to know how hard is it to get into a fellowship in surgery.is it generally easy once u do a general surgery residency???maybe vascular or cardiothoracic???

Members don't see this ad.

the forum titled "surgery" is for general surgery. i'm not 100% sure, but i think an img would need at least a 220 to be competitive for gs.

tm

oh yeah...cardiothoracic is pretty easy to get right. vascular isn't bad as long as you are fairly open minded about geography.

I'm not sure about how hard it is to get into GS for an FMG, but remember that Cardiothoracic and Vascular as well as other GS subspecialties are fellowship training, so you won't be matching directly into it. Although some say Cardiothoracic is "easy", I would think you still need to go to an academic or strong community GS program to match into it. Look online for match rates of FMGs for GS, I think in 2005 as well as last year, there were many many more people (both american and FMGs), trying to get into GS then there were spots.

Good luck.
sscooterguy