IMG with board orthopedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kfbeidas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am an IMG with a modest step 1 score planning to take all my boards

I was planning to do resdency here in my country then after I am board certified here I can applay to the US match

Does anyone know what are my chances of getting accepted I have LOR from US Doctors and I hopefully will have 3 or more publications

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am an IMG with a modest step 1 score planning to take all my boards

I was planning to do resdency here in my country then after I am board certified here I can applay to the US match

Does anyone know what are my chances of getting accepted I have LOR from US Doctors and I hopefully will have 3 or more publications

Yes, might be hard, but as long as is possible,then you should try it! Myself is and IMG from Mexico with orthopedic surgery boards completed. I want to move to the US and almost have my ecfmg certification. Don't let anyone tell you that it is impossible, the last time I heard that word was when my attending in Mexico told me that reading a EKG was impossible for and orthopedic resident. And here i am. Step 1 and 2 cleared, just missing CS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, might be hard, but as long as is possible,then you should try it! Myself is and IMG from Mexico with orthopedic surgery boards completed. I want to move to the US and almost have my ecfmg certification. Don't let anyone tell you that it is impossible, the last time I heard that word was when my attending in Mexico told me that reading a EKG was impossible for and orthopedic resident. And here i am. Step 1 and 2 cleared, just missing CS.
Learning a skill and overcoming a system are two very different things. Ortho is incredibly competitive even for top US MD candidates. IMGs and DOs having a hard time with ACGME ortho programs is the reality based on numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Helo all,
I am an IMG from nepal. I completed my MBBS in sep 2012 and did a job as a house office at a hospital till april 2014 and got admitted for postgraduation in orthopedics in may 2014. The PG orthopedics is a 3 year course in my country and I have only 3 months left now to complete it. The thing is that I got a green card few months back and now I am a LPR. And I love ortho very much. I am planning to complete my PG here then do the USMLE steps 1,2 CK and CS within a year and apply for a residency match for 2019. But the thing is it will be 7 yrs since I graduated from medical school when I apply. So my first question is does that 7 year filter me out as old graduate or do I have a chance for match.
And second question is do I really have a chance in ortho match if I get a decent score in steps or do I opt for other subjects straight away.
Does having green card favour me or it just doesnt matter at all...
I have two publications both related to orthopedics and I have been a practising doctor ever since I graduated with no lagging period.
Thanking you in advance for your reply...