2016 Match stats for IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why the IMG stats were so low for Ortho? Every time I post people seem to say there's no chance without a 260+ etc etc yet these stats say a completely different story.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf - Page 174

Why were Non-US IMG's accepted with such low step 1 scores?? (237 average) The only significant differences in the other stats are the research but i'm sure having 30 research papers instead of 40 wouldn't make a real difference anyway and then the work experience with non-US having 3 more?

Someone please explain these stats? I'm very confused after all the talk about how difficult Ortho is

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please explain to me why the IMG stats were so low for Ortho? Every time I post people seem to say there's no chance without a 260+ etc etc yet these stats say a completely different story.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf - Page 174

Why were Non-US IMG's accepted with such low step 1 scores?? (237 average) The only significant differences in the other stats are the research but i'm sure having 30 research papers instead of 40 wouldn't make a real difference anyway and then the work experience with non-US having 3 more?

Someone please explain these stats? I'm very confused after all the talk about how difficult Ortho is
It's a small number of applicants. Connections and networking also matter a great deal, and many of those non-US IMGs are likely Canadians which are held to a similar standard as Americans.

It's a small number of applicants. Connections and networking also matter a great deal, and many of those non-US IMGs are likely Canadians which are held to a similar standard as Americans.

Ah that's what I thought, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the scores etc there had to have been something else going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know an IMG that mached. Don’t know boards scores but the person had an insane number of publications (not including podiums and posters) - more than even the atrendings in the department. They waited 4-5 years to apply and worked multiple research positions. They literally wrote papers for every attending within a department at multiple institutions. And beyond that, they are amazingly nice and genorous. That matters more than just a one day test.

I personally know an IMG that mached. Don’t know boards scores but the person had an insane number of publications (not including podiums and posters) - more than even the atrendings in the department. They waited 4-5 years to apply and worked multiple research positions. They literally wrote papers for every attending within a department at multiple institutions. And beyond that, they are amazingly nice and genorous. That matters more than just a one day test.

It's been awhile since I looked at those match stats but from what I remember for Ortho the average FMG publications was 40+? not entirely sure if i'm accurate there, can't be bothered looking through again. Yes I agree of course if you have connections you'll get the spot.

It's been awhile since I looked at those match stats but from what I remember for Ortho the average FMG publications was 40+? not entirely sure if i'm accurate there, can't be bothered looking through again. Yes I agree of course if you have connections you'll get the spot.

This guy had more than double that quoted number of PubMed publications. Including podiums and posters he probably had close to 200 “ERAS Publications” - connections for him were created by his research.