Anesthesiologist nominated as surgeon general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Now if he can do something to empower the ASA and screw the CRNAs.....

Reactions: 1 users
I know Dr Adams.... We went to medical school together. He was part of the original group that got me interested in Anesthesia. Good move!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jerome has had a significant impact at the state level and adeptly avoided the many land mines that awaited him before his ascension. A good guy with an excellent mind, capable of grasping and acting on public health issues

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Great nomination. Educating the public on the importance of physician led anesthesia care is the most important hurdle facing our specialty. Hopefully change can come from the top.

Reactions: 5 users
Jerome has had a significant impact at the state level and adeptly avoided the many land mines that awaited him before his ascension. A good guy with an excellent mind, capable of grasping and acting on public health issues

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Sounds like a great character for our field. Let's hope his views don't collide with with wonderful congress that has to confirm this nomination..

Im very surprised this story has not gained more traction. This is the highest government position an anesthesiologist would ever have. I truly hope the ABA and ASA truly embraces him and allow him to bring our political issues to the forefront. This is a great day!

Reactions: 6 users
It's a good story. But unfortunately the surgeon general role (in the public eyes) has been severely diminished in the last 30 years.

I remember seeing c everett koop commercials on TV growing up.

When was last time we saw a commercial from surgeon commercials on Tv?

Reactions: 3 users
This is an OUTSTANDING pick and one that I thought Trump would royally f up (like I could honestly see him picking Dr Oz). I agree this should have been given more coverage, but apparently derisive tweets (that shouldn't be surprising to ANYONE) are way more important :/

Dr. Adams' record in public health is stellar (basically fixed the mess pence made and then tried to solve with "prayer") and hopefully he has more than a titular role in addressing the opioid epidemic (he actually understands it unlike Price who probably created tons of addicts when he was in pvt practice ortho).

Reactions: 4 users
Color me pessimistic, but I hold little hope for any sort of public intellectual awakening about anesthesiologists because of this nomination/appointment...you're all aware the current Surgeon General is a nurse, right?

That said, good on him. The we have a positive light shined on anesthesiology and anesthesiologists, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say that the lack of responses on this from the forum says a lot, too. Where are all the doom and gloomers who preach the sky is falling?

Impressive to me how silent they are when something goes well. This is a big deal, though we might be able to split hairs about how big of a deal it is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I will say that the lack of responses on this from the forum says a lot, too. Where are all the doom and gloomers who preach the sky is falling?

Impressive to me how silent they are when something goes well. This is a big deal, though we might be able to split hairs about how big of a deal it is.

It will be a big deal if he comes out all guns blazing but in all likelihood he won't.

If he's confirmed he'll be tasked with national health, and based upon his background and the political climate the opioid crisis will be a predominant part of his actions. I just don't see him using the platform to speak to Physician led care or in particular Anesthesiologist vs CRNA practice. That's not really within the scope of his position.

Of course I'd like for it to bring notice to Anesthesiologists as physicians among the layman but I doubt it will.

Last edited:

Quick! Name the last 3 surgeon generals. 'Nuff said.

Reactions: 4 users

Has he said anything about anesthesia?

This guy's been in a politically appointed position doing public health for years now, not practicing anesthesia.

Better him than a CRNA for sure :) but I'm not really sure what you all expect him to do for us as SG. It's a public health job.

I don't know what the job of the surgeon general is but I'm pretty sure it's not to advocate for the specialty of anesthesia.

I don't know what the job of the surgeon general is but I'm pretty sure it's not to advocate for the specialty of anesthesia.

The value of having an anesthesiologist in this role...

Moments before a famous Shakespearean actor was to perform Hamlet to a packed house in New York, he dropped dead. The house manager solemnly went onstage and announced, "We are sorry to bring you this news, but our performance tonight has been canceled due to the untimely demise of our featured performer."

From the back of the theater a voice cried out, "Give him some chicken soup!"

Startled, the stage manager cleared his throat and replied, "I apologize if in my grief I have not made my solemn message clear. The man is deceased."

Once again, but more emphatically the voice rang out, "Give him some chicken soup!"

Having had quite enough, the manager bellowed back, "Sir, the man is dead! Giving him chicken soup couldn't possibly help."

To which the voice replied, "Well, it couldn't hurt!"

Reactions: 7 users
Has he said anything about anesthesia?

This guy's been in a politically appointed position doing public health for years now, not practicing anesthesia.

Better him than a CRNA for sure :) but I'm not really sure what you all expect him to do for us as SG. It's a public health job.
In baseball, you'd be batting .333

1) he has spoken about physicians in anesthesiology. I've seen him speak multiple times in public venues on the topic. Surgery Stories | When Seconds Count

2) he still works as an assistant professor at IU clinically. I am sure it is not much, but he still practices, which he doesn't have to do. He chooses to.

3) as surgeon general, it is yet to be seen... but bill Clinton mother being a CRNA had a profound impact on our struggles. Having a close ear to the president from an anesthesiologist couldn't hurt either. I gave you credit on this one though because he may or may not do a lot as SG. I can't prove you wrong factually.

I think it's great, this guy is active with the ASA and well-respected among physician circles nationally. Maybe he won't directly affect the CRNA issue, but I am positive it certainly won't hurt and can really only help.

Excited for this one.

I'm going to bring up the elephant in the room. I think a reason he has not resonated more may be in part due to his race. Most of the posters here voted for trump and in some way were tired of seeing Obama in office. Now we have a black anesthesiologist nominated to fill a role in a hostile climate. Btw Mr Adams is no stranger to this. I think he will make an impact.

I'm going to bring up the elephant in the room. I think a reason he has not resonated more may be in part due to his race. Most of the posters here voted for trump and in some way were tired of seeing Obama in office. Now we have a black anesthesiologist nominated to fill a role in a hostile climate. Btw Mr Adams is no stranger to this. I think he will make an impact.

Exactly.

He's black... AND he's a doctor?

An educated, well-spoken black man in America is a threat.. dare I say it.. a weapon.

Hope he does a great job.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly.

He's black... AND he's a doctor?

An educated, well-spoken black man in America is a threat.. dare I say it.. a weapon.

Come on man, just because ONE black doctor just shot up a NYC hospital doesn't mean you have to be consider every black doctor armed and dangerous from now on :laugh:

This is exactly the kind of thinking that brought Trump to power. White folk are just tired of hearing how racist they are (when most of them really aren't). This approach is entirely counterproductive, because it pisses off even the sympathetic members of the majority.

I think the reason most people couldn't care less is that the Surgeon General, especially in a Trump administration, is almost a decorative position. He could be a family member, as far as I am concerned, and still I wouldn't care. I'll celebrate when I see something actually change in favor of anesthesiologists/physicians.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly the kind of thinking that brought Trump to power. White folk are just tired of hearing how racist they are (when most of them really aren't). This approach is entirely counterproductive, because it pisses off even the sympathetic members of the majority.

I think the reason most people couldn't care less is that the Surgeon General, especially in a Trump administration, is almost a decorative position. He could be a family member, as far as I am concerned, and still I wouldn't care. I'll celebrate when I see something actually change in favor of anesthesiologists/physicians.
FFP, I do believe that the vast majority of white folks are not racist. But their is a bias amongst the average folks. Be it media driven, society driven, I do not think its the overt neo-nazis kkk racism that fueled trump(albeit many of them jumped on the trump bandwagon.) Its existing in a environment of white favoritism. I grew up in a white dominated community. I was always told that white actors/actresses were attractive, that blacks were supposed to be good at sports, not doctors or physicians. This racism is not overt, but it molds the mind of the individual and molds the system. I did not know many black physicians until I got into medical school(IU) where I encountered many game changing physicians Dr Adams,etc etc. I have seen my colleagues make game changing mistakes, and given a pass, I have also seen African American physicians get the book thrown at them for minor issues. I have seen a caucasian surgeon yell and scream at a colleague of mine in the OR and use expletives and nothing done. It would be my understanding that if the surgeon was black the system would have been thrown at him. I cannot help to think that its this subvert, unconscious favoritism thats the reason why this is not on the news. BTW I have watched both Fox News and CNN and BOTH news stations have not mentioned Trumps pick. I do hope that Dr Adams does not get caught up by the medias anger against Trump.

FFP, I do believe that the vast majority of white folks are not racist. But their is a bias amongst the average folks. Be it media driven, society driven, I do not think its the overt neo-nazis kkk racism that fueled trump(albeit many of them jumped on the trump bandwagon.) Its existing in a environment of white favoritism. I grew up in a white dominated community. I was always told that white actors/actresses were attractive, that blacks were supposed to be good at sports, not doctors or physicians. This racism is not overt, but it molds the mind of the individual and molds the system. I did not know many black physicians until I got into medical school(IU) where I encountered many game changing physicians Dr Adams,etc etc. I have seen my colleagues make game changing mistakes, and given a pass, I have also seen African American physicians get the book thrown at them for minor issues. I have seen a caucasian surgeon yell and scream at a colleague of mine in the OR and use expletives and nothing done. It would be my understanding that if the surgeon was black the system would have been thrown at him. I cannot help to think that its this subvert, unconscious favoritism thats the reason why this is not on the news. BTW I have watched both Fox News and CNN and BOTH news stations have not mentioned Trumps pick. I do hope that Dr Adams does not get caught up by the medias anger against Trump.
I am white, and I have always found Viola Davis beautiful, or Denzel handsome. I have nothing against a movie with a lot of non-white characters, as long as they are good and close to mainstream. And I just won't miss a movie with Larry Fishburne, or even Samuel L. Jackson. I admit I am not a big fan of African culture, starting from design and ending with the music, but that applies to other cultures as well, and I bet most of us feel most comfortable within our own culture and ones that share many common things. I admire and dislike the same things in all people, regardless of characteristics that are beyond their control.

Every community protects its own and sees people who are different as outsiders. It's just human nature. I know how you feel, because I am an immigrant. Every outsider mistake is put under the microscope and amplified, while "one of ours" gets just a wrist slap. There is this legend that America is tolerant; it's far from true (on an absolute scale). America is just more tolerant than many-many other countries. As soon as you learn to accept that, you will become happier. Political correctness is not the solution; the solution is to live and let live, be the best (human being) you can be and prove them wrong by your own example.

There is this (true) story about WWII that I remember reading. The worst pogroms against Jews were not in countries and cities where there had been a lot of antisemitism even before the war, but in places where everybody had apparently been tolerant to them. That's why I personally consider PC to be so dangerous, and I think free speech should be encouraged whenever it does not incite to violence, directly or indirectly. I prefer to know who to stay away from, rather than a sneak attack from where I expect it the least. Also, I'd rather have people express their feelings, than bottle them up and get much more frustrated.

I am white, and I have always found Viola Davis beautiful, or Denzel handsome. I have nothing against a movie with a lot of non-white characters, as long as they are good and close to mainstream.
Every community protects its own and sees people who are different as outsiders. It's just human nature. I know how you feel, because I am an immigrant. Every outsider mistake is put under the microscope and amplified, while "one of ours" gets just a wrist slap. There is this legend that America is tolerant; it's far from true (on an absolute scale). America is just more tolerant than many-many other countries. As soon as you learn to accept that, you will become happier. Political correctness is not the solution; the solution is to live and let live, be the best (human being) you can be and prove them wrong by your own example.

It's hard sometimes. Good-Exemplary behavior is rarely rewarded. Bad behavior is rarely disincentivized.

Nailed it with your comment about it being human nature. We are still tribal.

Yep. You just can't fix human nature. People should stop being so sensitive about everything; it allows for much better relations and mutual understanding, even friendship.

People are not perfect. Some of my best buddies in life were intolerant against one of the groups I belonged to. I was "the exception"... that ended up changing their opinions, and of some of their friends'. But that was in a culture where people were free to use even tabu words and express their opinions, without anybody losing his career over it, as long as it was a peaceful conversation.

Tolerance takes generations, and it's not easy to achieve. People tend to believe boogeyman stories about an outsider group, and there will always be politicians ready to exploit that, and use "the others" as scapegoats. The solution is education, not PC, definitely not the exaggerated knee-jerk career-destroying reactions we can see in the US (especially in the media and universities). People should not be fired over saying the wrong things; they should be fired only if proven to have discriminated where legally not allowed to.

I think a pretty small minority of the people on this forum voted for Trump. Certainly not most.

And you think Trump voters are unexcited about this appointment ... by Trump?

I'm unexcited because in my entire life I've never seen the Surgeon General do anything of consequence. But hey, maybe this guy will be the first.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll add that as a white guy who grew up in the privileged 'burbs of San Diego, I recognize that I can't possibly know what it's like to endure racism or sexism, overt or soft. I try to never let any of it slip into my head. Always glad to see talented women and people of color get chances like this. Hope he makes the office relevant.

Reactions: 6 users
Jerome is primarily a decent human being, a man with a good heart. He also is a success story who happens to be black, but his race is really of no consequence. He is a talented physician that I will be proud to have as surgeon general.

Jerome is primarily a decent human being, a man with a good heart. He also is a success story who happens to be black, but his race is really of no consequence. He is a talented physician that I will be proud to have as surgeon general.
I agree with most of this except the part about his race is no consequence. Very idealistic. Barack Obama is a success story that happens to be black. See the difference? Your racial background frames how the world views you and how you view the world.

Jerome is not a politician and is not running for election. He is an appointee, not because he is black but because of his serving with Pence in an equivalent state office that he will occupy in the federal capacity, and also because he did an excellent job in Indiana. He is the exact opposite of Trump in nearly every way possible.

Had Barack not been black, he would have not become president. Instead, Hillary would have been our president in 2008. Barack and Hillary both appealed to the vacillating sentiments of the American electorate that serially alternates presidential parties every eight years or so. It was the Democrats turn to take the office in 2008, and they were not in the mood to have a white man leading the country (given they had two excellent candidates that would each be a first for the country), therefore Democrats in the primaries decided the fate of the nation. Had Hillary's main opponent in the Democrat primaries been a white male, she would have won handily in 2008, and would have won the general election. So yes, black can be a political advantage, but only for elected office. Trump has the whitest cabinet and major appointees of any modern president with only one black out of 33. Being black is not an advantage in being appointed to the Trump administration.

Last edited:
I am white, and I have always found Viola Davis beautiful, or Denzel handsome. I have nothing against a movie with a lot of non-white characters, as long as they are good and close to mainstream. And I just won't miss a movie with Larry Fishburne, or even Samuel L. Jackson. I admit I am not a big fan of African culture, starting from design and ending with the music, but that applies to other cultures as well, and I bet most of us feel most comfortable within our own culture and ones that share many common things. I admire and dislike the same things in all people, regardless of characteristics that are beyond their control.

There is this (true) story about WWII that I remember reading. The worst pogroms against Jews were not in countries and cities where there had been a lot of antisemitism even before the war, but in places where everybody had apparently been tolerant to them. That's why I personally consider PC to be so dangerous, and I think free speech should be encouraged whenever it does not incite to violence, directly or indirectly. I prefer to know who to stay away from, rather than a sneak attack from where I expect it the least. Also, I'd rather have people express their feelings, than bottle them up and get much more frustrated.

No country is fully tolerant. That is human nature

I think a pretty small minority of the people on this forum voted for Trump. Certainly not most.

And you think Trump voters are unexcited about this appointment ... by Trump?

I'm unexcited because in my entire life I've never seen the Surgeon General do anything of consequence. But hey, maybe this guy will be the first.

Who would they vote for? Hillary whose husband was a big CRNA supporter? Hillary would finish off Anesthesiology

Even if he does nothing for Anesthesiology - he likely will do something positive for the medical profession.

I believe it's exactly this sort of thinking that got Trump elected. Middle-class, poor (and some upper) class whites were sick of hearing they are racist or biased, or that the deck is "stacked" against minorities while at the same time seeing things like affirmative action codified into law across the country (which many would argue is the epitome of racism).

If you are poor, white and unemployed or even struggling financially, terms like "white privilege" are a major slap in the face but wholly accepted as truth by the media and popular culture.

I myself did not vote for Trump but definitely think the backlash against "PC police" mentality and victimhood culture was the main thing that brought him into power.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dr Bello was Nigerian. An educated African American male have been seen as threats.

Threats to who?? Seriously. White Power??? Whites elected a black guy. I just do not, in my daily life, get the feeling that myself or other whites are just waiting to hold down the black guy. And I don't think my head is in the sand on this one. Maybe in 1960 and perhaps in some select geographic areas, but not our nation as a whole.

I believe it's exactly this sort of thinking that got Trump elected. Middle-class, poor (and some upper) class whites were sick of hearing they are racist or biased, or that the deck is "stacked" against minorities while at the same time seeing things like affirmative action codified into law across the country (which many would argue is the epitome of racism).

If you are poor, white and unemployed or even struggling financially, terms like "white privilege" are a major slap in the face but wholly accepted as truth by the media and popular culture.

I myself did not vote for Trump but definitely think the backlash against "PC police" mentality and victimhood culture was the main thing that brought him into power.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly. And I DID vote for Trump. Because the white kid growing up in a trailer park being told he is "privileged" in modern America is ludicrous.

I'll add that as a white guy who grew up in the privileged 'burbs of San Diego, I recognize that I can't possibly know what it's like to endure racism or sexism, overt or soft. I try to never let any of it slip into my head. Always glad to see talented women and people of color get chances like this. Hope he makes the office relevant.

This is BS pgg. You don't know what it's like to be a victim of racism?? Just watch a "punch out" video where young blacks target whites with a giant sucker punch to the face. Often knocking them out cold. Whites do not own racism.

Whites in South Africa are high on the genocide ladder. This narrative that only whites are racists is absurd (not saying you, PGG, are making that claim).