An odd question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have an odd question. Please keep an open mind :oops:

I smoke marijuanna just about every weekend. It helps me relax on a boring saturday/sunday. This semester I am going to be looking for an internship/shadowing at an optometry office. I was wondering if offices usually drug test when hiring interns? I am willing to quit smoking for good if they do, its not that important to me. I just need to know so I can wait before looking or just start looking now.

Thanks for answering my question in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I have an odd question. Please keep an open mind :oops:

I smoke marijuanna just about every weekend. It helps me relax on a boring saturday/sunday. This semester I am going to be looking for an internship/shadowing at an optometry office. I was wondering if offices usually drug test when hiring interns? I am willing to quit smoking for good if they do, its not that important to me. I just need to know so I can wait before looking or just start looking now.

Thanks for answering my question in advance.

Very few offices that I know of put their employees through drug testing. Lenscrafters I know does, or at least they did in the past.

That being said, the concern for you shouldn't be your next job. It should be your career. If you are every unlucky enough to get pinched for your habit, you could end up with a drug conviction on your record which may have serious reprecussions on your ability to get a license to practice, or a DEA number to prescribe medications, even if that conviction is a misdemeanor. If I'm not mistaken, these types of legal situations can also have a significant impact on yoru ability to get a student loan so really give it some thought as to whether this is something you want to continue with. I have no ethical or moral qualms with people who want to smoke weed, but the risks may far outweight the benefits in your case.

Very few offices that I know of put their employees through drug testing. Lenscrafters I know does, or at least they did in the past.

That being said, the concern for you shouldn't be your next job. It should be your career. If you are every unlucky enough to get pinched for your habit, you could end up with a drug conviction on your record which may have serious reprecussions on your ability to get a license to practice, or a DEA number to prescribe medications, even if that conviction is a misdemeanor. If I'm not mistaken, these types of legal situations can also have a significant impact on yoru ability to get a student loan so really give it some thought as to whether this is something you want to continue with. I have no ethical or moral qualms with people who want to smoke weed, but the risks may far outweight the benefits in your case.

I did not know that a misdemeanor could hinter my ability to get a license to practice :eek:. I guess I never thought about it that way .Thank you for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
all i have to say is you have some balls and be careful about posting something like this in a forum that may be read by potential schools....and yes it can affect you so I suggest you quit your bad habits regardless of any job/internship/shadowing you look into...