American wants to practice in the EU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
efex101 said:
No, I am pretty sure that the pay for residents is 1200 euros..I also received one e-mail from another Spanish resident...do you read Spanish? I can post it here...or PM it to you..she answered all the questions that fw? asked...

:oops: Yeah, my spanish needs work. If you could post the questions here that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Miklos said:
Well, something quite similar happend to an American friend of mine vacationing in Germany. He broke his ankle, and before they'd do his surgery, he had to charge his credit card a couple thousand Euros. After that, the staff's demeanor changed considerably.

BTW, you'll find this all over Europe. If you don't have health coverage as a foreigner, you'll receive minimum treatment until you can show that have the means to pay. The same applies in Canada.

Miklos

What did he charge his card for?
For better demeanour? Did they tell him that they wouldn't do it if he didn't pay or not?
Both in the UK (and in Greece), as long as it's an emergency -it is my experience- that it's free. However, if insurance is available it will be charged after service (especially for procedures).
This policy covers ALL visitors, in both countries. (not just EEA or commonwealth).
(in Greece this policy also applied to people who claimed to be ‘visitors' but were quite obviously illegal immigrant workers.)
So, I very seriously doubt that, at least, these 2 countries charge the US government for its citizens, as it was also said. (And I have to say that this universal coverage for travellers doesn't sound like the US government AT ALL! Are you sure about this? Even if an American gets into an accident and ends up in the SICU for months? (That's an emergency, right? Should I advise my hospital to sent a bill of tens of thousands of $$ to the US embassy, next time something like this happens? I am sure they would be interested, so let me know if that can work?)
I think that the question is: what do you mean by ‘minimum'?
Elective procedures are not free, but that's the US way as well.

PTCA said:
For better demeanour? Did they tell him that they wouldn't do it if he didn't pay or not?
Both in the UK (and in Greece), as long as it’s an emergency -it is my experience- that it’s free. However, if insurance is available it will be charged after service (especially for procedures).
This policy covers ALL visitors, in both countries. (not just EEA or commonwealth).
(in Greece this policy also applied to people who claimed to be ‘visitors’ but were quite obviously illegal immigrant workers.)
So, I very seriously doubt that, at least, these 2 countries charge the US government for its citizens, as it was also said.

You can doubt what you want. They wouldn't do the surgery until they charged his card.

(And I have to say that this universal coverage for travellers doesn’t sound like the US government AT ALL! Are you sure about this? Even if an American gets into an accident and ends up in the SICU for months? (That’s an emergency, right? Should I advise my hospital to sent a bill of tens of thousands of $$ to the US embassy, next time something like this happens? I am sure they would be interested, so let me know if that can work?)
I think that the question is: what do you mean by ‘minimum’?
Elective procedures are not free, but that’s the US way as well.

I don't know what you mean about universal coverage for travelers, however, Medicaid is used by illegal immigrants on a daily basis in the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
1- aqui la carrera se estudia a partir de los 18 años, cuando terminas el bachiller superior, los aspirantes echan su instancia, y si tienen buenas notas los cogen en alguna facultad, previamente han tenido que haber hecho la opcion de biosanitarias en bachiller. la carrera dura 6 años, y despues debes prepararte el MIR, con otro examen.
2- el MIR sale todos los años, hay bastantes plazas, pero las mas requeridas necesitan unas notas muy buenas.
3- una vez que has aprobado el examen MIR, pasas a hacer la residencia, que oscila entre los 3 y los 5 años. 3 años solo en algunas especialidades no clinicas, como medicina forense, medicina preventiva, del deporte y alguna otra, se hacen por escuela y no te pagan mientras las haces, es como si fuera una enseñanza de pago, pero puedes optar a becas. normalmente se cogen con notas malas. Medico de familia antes era de 3 años, pero a partir de este año es de 4, 3 los cursas en el hospital, y el otro en un centro de salud. la mayoria de especialidades son de 4 años, quitando medicina intensiva, pediatria, cardiologia y las cirugias.
4- situacion de la medicina publica en españa: es mayoritaria, hay empresas como sanitas, adeslas, etc, pero la mayor parte de los medicos trabaja en el sistema publico, y en ocasiones se puede compaginar el trabajo en el sistema publico con las clinicas privadas, en especialidades de las que hay mucha demanda. en españa hay una cobertura muy amplia, por lo que el abrir una consulta privada solo es posible en ciertas especialidades y cuando ya tienes algo de prestigio, si no no tienes clientes: dermatologia, cirugia estetica, cardiologia, etc. normalmente no hay consultas de medico de familia porque aqui todo es gratuito, y la gente se aprovecha mucho del sistema publico, hay mucho gasto sanitario, etc.
5- paro: en medicina de familia no hay mucho paro, de hecho es de las especialidades que mas trabajo ofertan, el problema es que no es de calidad, porque los politicos prefieren cuidar al usuario antes que al profesional, con lo cual ultimamente los contratos son muy malos, contratos a media jornada, contratos de guardias en los que solo cobras lo que trabajas, sin ningun complemento y en los que no hay derecho a bajas laborales ni a vacaciones pagadas etc. parece que quieren mejorar algo estos contratos, pero sin llegar a equiparlos con los de los titulares de la plaza. ademas en españa ultimamente hay muchas denuncias a medicos, la mayor parte con fines lucrativos, que no llegan a demostrarse, pero que te hace estar siempre a la defensiva. todo esto hace que la profesion medica este bastante desencantada.
6- sueldo: el sueldo de un residente es bajo, unos 1200 Euros mensuales con 14 pagas al año, y un mes de vacaciones. Aqui la jornada laboral es de 35 a 40 horas semanales en consulta a las que debes sumarle las guardias, de 24 o 17 horas, minimo 5 al mes, en algunas especialidades por necesidades del servicio puedes hacer mas, pero a partir de la quinta guardia te las pagan menos , o sea que no esperes sacarte un sobresueldo haciendo guardias. todos los años sube un poco, pero muy poco, a lo mejor 50 euros al mes.
7- posibilidades de trabajo de un extranjero: aqui hay mucha gente extranjera trabajando, sobre todo sudamericanos y de paises como Marruecos, y otros paises arabes , asi que supongo que los norteamericanos no tendrian problemas, de todas formas puedes contactar con el ministerio de sanidad y consumo, y preguntarles. La pagina es www.msc. es

Just like in the US, if you don't have insurance you are considered a 'private patient' and you pay the full list price for any service (not the discounted insurance price). In contrast to the US, it is customary for a private patient to make a deposit to the hospital to cover the anticipated expense of admission.