Am I overreacting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both foxvet and koda7 were pretty harsh to the OP. Maybe they are the only rude people in that class. I don't think anyone in our class would post comments like that to a colleague, especially someone you personally know

I am not sure what you meant by posting comments to someone you "personally know" - because I don't know where expat goes. We can't take pictures of animals in our labs, so I doubt he goes here.

Look, I am as embarrassed as people are offended. I am even more embarrassed because I know one of these flaming imbeciles. But that still doesn't give people the right to start bashing my school because of a few stupid, inflammatory posts. If ya'all want me to beat them round the head, I shall. In fact the next time I see fox, I intend to give him a piece of my mind....anyhow, back on topic. I will say, again...don't make assumptions about a school from two idiots who post crap on boards.

I know for a fact that no one in my class, or the classes above me, would say things like that. But fox and koda are both first years. Our first years, this year, are unfortunately a bit "off" as a whole (and I can say that because I know a lot of them). Hopefully the 2012 group will be more "as usual".

I was assuming that the OP also went to VA/MD being that so many VA/MD students came out of the wood work to post on this topic, I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption.

As for Cyrille's question - I think the reason that so many schools have these rules against taking pictures in lab is because of the animal rights groups; therefore, I think that putting pictures up of dogs/horses would get a more negative response.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just looking for some input as to whether we're overreacting,

I don't think you are overreacting. While I don't think that posting pictures of partial dissections is a problem, I would have serious qualms about having pictures where the whole animal, or an identifiable part of the animal, were visible. And posting pictures of anything that could be construed as disrespectful to the animal - yikes!

It's disheartening to read some of the responses to your query. It gives all of us a bad name.

But fox and koda are both first years. Our first years, this year, are unfortunately a bit "off" as a whole (and I can say that because I know a lot of them). Hopefully the 2012 group will be more "as usual".

"Way to base you opinion of an entire school on foxvet"

Wow, talk about a hypocrite. Way to base your opinion of a class on what a few first years said. Even if you "know a lot of them." :thumbup: Where is all the school spirit you usually preach?

Members don't see this ad :)
*smacks forehead*

Ok, I will try again, since I keep being misunderstood.

Wow, talk about a hypocrite. Way to base your opinion of a class on what a few first years said

I base my opinion on the class because I personally know and have interacted with the majority of them and I work with them/see them practically every day. Does that mean I feel the same way about every single person IN that class? No. I also know a few very nice people in the class, and work with them in various school activities. I am sorry if you were insulted. I did not mean to single anyone out. What I was commenting on was bad-mouthing a school because of a few nasty posts. I will further clarify and say that I am disappointed with a large number of people in our current first year class because it seems they have not gotten out of the "college party mentality" and things like that. But I feel that since I live and work with these people, my opinion holds more validity that someone commenting on a few posts.

I will repeat again: "Does that mean I feel the same way about every single person IN that class? No. I also know a few very nice people in the class, and work with them in various school activities. "

The majority is not the definition of everyone in the class. It is the definition of how the class is perceived by the outside world/other classes, etc. It is when the minority, especially an offensive, is perceived as the "definition" that the model breaks down and many misconceptions arise.

If I didn't have "school spirit", I wouldn't be posting on this thread trying to defend the school...

Let's all have a collective sigh and return to topic. I'm tired of trying to clean up someone else's mess in the name of my school and just getting dumped on for it. If you have an issue, talk to fox or koda. They are the ones who acted like this, not me.

Americans are such "cutetarians."

It's not just Americans, my friend. Let's not start with that. After living in Europe, I found the majority of my colleagues harbored more "cutetarian" feelings than ANYONE I know in the South, where we know, from birth, where our meat comes from.

Nice term, though. I will use that in the future!

Interesting topic. I personally don't think it's a big deal but I can see the other side as well.

Overreacting.

But then again, some schools apparently live in constant PETA fear. If that's your school, then report it I guess. Now I'll shut up before I get flammed.

However - if people are doing inappropriate things, or the dogs/cats/horses etc are identifiable in the picture, rather than just seeing a partial dissection of, say, a hind quarter, then these pictures should not be publicly viewable - for the same reason you cannot publish pictures of patients without explicit client consent.

I may get blasted for posting here, b/c I'm not even in school yet but I completely agree with this post. It all comes down to being professional. I could see posting someting for study aid purposes, but that's it.

I really need to deal with my lolcat obsession...but I could not resist
funny-pictures-creepy-squirrel-camera-park.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

That's not a lolcat!

1168608091196.jpg