Seeking advice. I am choosing between DVM or DPT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sciencenerd10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently an undergraduate senior and I am choosing between the fields of veterinarian medicine or physical therapy. For those who are current vet students or those who are licensed veterinarians, can you give me some advice? My biggest fear of going into the profession of vet medicine is having to euthanize an animal that I have the skills to help simply because someone wont pay for treatment. I have heard that this happens often which is a concern for me. Do you enjoy working in the field of vet medicine? Do you regret pursuing this field and wish you had chosen a different career path? Was this something you wanted to do your whole life? What are the biggest pros and cons to the field of veterinarian medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've provided plenty of info on my experience in the discussions that WTF linked to, but to specifically answer one of your questions...

My biggest fear of going into the profession of vet medicine is having to euthanize an animal that I have the skills to help simply because someone wont pay for treatment.

This will vary based on the location in which you practice and the local economics. I'm in a low-cost-of-living (ie. low-income) area and I would say that approximately 50% of the recommendations that I make are declined by the owners due to cost. This doesn't always result in euthanasia, but it is definitely a reality of our profession. Many of the euthanasias that I perform are "economic euthanasias" - where there are definitely things that could be done to potentially help the pet, but the owner can't afford it and without those diagnostics/treatments the pet will suffer.

I would recommend spending a good bit of time in veterinary clinics before pursuing this profession. And don't make the mistake that I made, working primarily in old-school practices with a solo doctor... because a lot of the challenges of our profession won't turn up in that environment. Spend time in a multi-doctor hospital and spend time with the associates, because that is the position that you will most likely find yourself in (for at least the first part of your career, if not all). I worked in one multi-doctor practice and the difference portraits of vet med painted by the owner vs associates were kind of lost on me at the time, but in hindsight I think there were definite lessons there if I had chosen to listen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! The information provided has been very insightful. I have only shadowed at one veterinarians office so far. She recently bought the practice, and there is only one other vet working there for minimal hours. She is the primary veterinarian. In her experience, she said it is unusual to have to perform economic euthanasia and if someone can't pay, they will sometimes hand over ownership to her and the rescue group she works with. Is this a commonality or a reasonable option?

Also, my biggest interest within vet medicine is exotic/zoo medicine. Does anyone have experience in this field or can anyone shed some light on the dynamics of working in that area of medicine? I have had a hard time finding reliable information online that attests to the availability of jobs in that area of medicine as well as the salary differences.

Aside from the large amount of debt...I am curious how many people would still choose this profession. In the links provided, I see that debt is a huge factor. It is something I am definitely considering as I will be fulling borrowing loans for graduate school. If we could say debt magically was not an issue, and schooling was free...would you go through with vet school again or would you choose a career in the human medical field such as physical therapy?

Thank you both! The information provided has been very insightful. I have only shadowed at one veterinarians office so far. She recently bought the practice, and there is only one other vet working there for minimal hours. She is the primary veterinarian. In her experience, she said it is unusual to have to perform economic euthanasia and if someone can't pay, they will sometimes hand over ownership to her and the rescue group she works with. Is this a commonality or a reasonable option?

Also, my biggest interest within vet medicine is exotic/zoo medicine. Does anyone have experience in this field or can anyone shed some light on the dynamics of working in that area of medicine? I have had a hard time finding reliable information online that attests to the availability of jobs in that area of medicine as well as the salary differences.

Aside from the large amount of debt...I am curious how many people would still choose this profession. In the links provided, I see that debt is a huge factor. It is something I am definitely considering as I will be fulling borrowing loans for graduate school. If we could say debt magically was not an issue, and schooling was free...would you go through with vet school again or would you choose a career in the human medical field such as physical therapy?

Well, I have never found the idea of working in human medicine as interesting. So, no I wouldn't go into human medicine.

If debt were not a factor at all and school were free, I would still go through vet school because it has been what I have wanted to do since I was a child. And I really enjoy it.

However, that isn't realistic. We can't just remove a factor from the equation because we don't want to think about that factor. The cost does concern me. I am at a point where I am not sure how things are going to work out and it is slightly worrisome. Almost to the point that if I had known what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gone through vet school. Now that I am here and I have the debt that I do have, I am kind of in a position where I need to continue so that I can pay off said debt and hope that I can figure out how to make that all work out. I have been looking up various options and have things in mind, but there is nothing guaranteeing that I will be able to rely on those things to occur.

As far as zoo/exotic medicine, that is a difficult field to break into. Not impossible but there is a lot of competition there and if I recall correctly, the salary isn't all that much better than the other areas of veterinary medicine. There isn't as much research as well into zoo/exotic species so a lot of veterinarians in that field (from what I have heard) are kind of figuring things out on their own as issues come up. Which is fine, but can be a bit intimidating and stressful.

Also, it may not be possible to have every animal that ends up in a situation of economic euthanasia handed over to you or to a rescue group. It is really going to depend upon where you are working, who you are working for and the policies of that veterinary clinic. Where I used to work, if economic euthanasia came up and the vet offered the owner to surrender, the vet took on that pet as their own and treatment was paid for out of the vet's pocket at full cost (no discounts). This was because the clinic I worked at had a really good discount and allowing vets or vet techs to take on pets from clients that couldn't afford treatment and then using their employee discount would significantly impact the clinic financially. It was designed to prevent employees from having that bleeding heart of taking on too many pets that owner's couldn't afford.

Yes, it's definitely not realistic to think of the magical debt free world. I mention this magical debt free world in an attempt to separate debt from the equation so that I may get a better understanding of the other factors aside from debt that cause individuals to reconsider going into vet medicine.

What are the main positives to the career and what are the main negatives that one truly has to be willing to take on in this career field?

Thank you so much everyone who has taken the time to give me advice.

It is the very definition of cutthroat. I'm not going to lie, it is probably the most difficult specialty in vet med to get into and is notorious for breaking people down. Almost every single colleague I have met who tried to get into exotics/zoo/wildlife ended up having to settle for small animal. The jobs are very scarce, most don't pay well, even for those who have gone on do to internships and residencies.

Some parts of the country may afford the option of treating/rehoming ill pets. In my area, though, pet overpopulation is such a crisis that countless healthy animals are euthanized every day due to lack of available homes. No-kill rescues are all closed to even healthy surrenders, much less animals that would require care. Some clinics would have allowed me to have an owner surrender pets if I paid for treatment and did the fostering/rehoming but I've never felt comfortable that I'd be able to find a home for the pet. Other clinics have expressly forbid doing that. Again, I know the ability to involve rescue groups better in some parts of the country.

I graduated with zero debt and still wouldn't do it again. I expected to have a bit more flexibility/freedom/respect and I have found there is no way to get that without ownership (which I don't want to do). I'm given very little ability to make my own medical decisions and don't typically feel that I'm treated like a professional. I have to follow my boss's rules, not my own medical ethics. (And this is in 5 separate clinics that I've worked in since vet school.)

Many vet students enter vet school with an interest in zoo/wildlife medicine, but very few people will actually go on to do it. Only one person from my class now works in zoo/aquarium medicine.... and it was only an option for that person because they married an older veterinarian who was able to pay their bills through several years of unpaid/low-paid internships all over the country. Unrealistic for most of us. (I had wanted to go that route too, but decided against it due to finances.)

You're asking good questions. Keep doing your research.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm an Aussie that graduated from a vet school in Australia so I have around $50k in debt so it's very little compared to my North American colleagues. I'm a vet for the lifestyle and I love it. Would I do it again? Hell yeah!! If I had the marks would I have done human med instead? Of course- I've always wanted to "save the world" so always thought about becoming an obstetrician/paediatrician. But had I not had any expectations from friends/family of going into uni, I would have probably become a pilot! (I may yet get my private pilot's license so I can become a flying vet).

My view of the field is quite skewed because I work in a (very) rural area doing a healthy mix of largies and smallies (which represents a fairly small % of vets nowadays) so I have alot more fun than my colleagues in the city. I'm a born and bred city guy but fell in love with the country. Driving around the stunning countryside saving animals, helping farmers and feeling like an important part of the local community is an amazing feeling. So get that damn vet degree and start exploring this beautiful earth!!

I'm an Aussie that graduated from a vet school in Australia so I have around $50k in debt so it's very little compared to my North American colleagues. I'm a vet for the lifestyle and I love it. Would I do it again? Hell yeah!! If I had the marks would I have done human med instead? Of course- I've always wanted to "save the world" so always thought about becoming an obstetrician/paediatrician. But had I not had any expectations from friends/family of going into uni, I would have probably become a pilot! (I may yet get my private pilot's license so I can become a flying vet).

My view of the field is quite skewed because I work in a (very) rural area doing a healthy mix of largies and smallies (which represents a fairly small % of vets nowadays) so I have alot more fun than my colleagues in the city. I'm a born and bred city guy but fell in love with the country. Driving around the stunning countryside saving animals, helping farmers and feeling like an important part of the local community is an amazing feeling. So get that damn vet degree and start exploring this beautiful earth!!

Thank you JHerriot14, your optimism gives me hope about the profession!

Hey Sciencenerd10,

I think I will throw in my 2 cents because I was (still am) in your exact same shoes asking the exact same questions. I have been accepted into veterinary school (c/o 2019) with hopes of pursuing zoo/exotic medicine. All of the information given so far is correct in that this field is extremely competitive and you're only getting a job after you pay your dues in a low paying intern position. Debt is a definite factor that makes most settle for something different like large or small animal medicine.

Scary stuff? I know. But here is my take on it. I've worked under five seasoned zoo/aquarium veterinarians (3 of which wrote my letters of recommendations for veterinary school; thanks you guys!) and they all recognize the difficulties in zoo medicine. Every single one of them worked in small animal medicine before getting into zoo medicine. There are pros and cons in this profession (and any medicial profession for that matter), so I asked them "Are you glad you chose veterinary medicine?" and I can happily say I received a resounding "Yes". There will be struggles in the future and you/I will have obstacles to overcome, but if veterinary medicine feels right then you will make it work. Zoo medicine is going to be tough to break into, but in my opinion I cannot wait to take the path that gets me there.

Last bit on euthanasia. This is definitely an aspect of veterinary medicine that makes some people uneasy. Even in zoo medicine, you may need to euthanize animals because of space availability and resources. It's an unfortunate piece of the puzzle and can turn people away from the profession. However, in my own career thus far, I've seen what a relief and gift euthanasia can be. Sometimes it's the only viable option and I am surprised human medicine is still behind the curve on legalizing it. It's an extremely powerful tool in veterinary medicine and when wielded inappropriately this tool can become a weapon, as seen when the dollar signs don't match the treatment options. That is a tough question to answer and it's very important that you sit and reflect on your own opinion because at the end of the day you must live with your decisions. In fact, this a question a lot of veterinary schools will ask in an interview so it's good to think about your answer. I found my answer by asking every veteriarian I knew.

Hope this helps and let me know in a reply/message if you have any follow-up questions. Always happy to answer them. Also, I am still a neophyte in career and I'm sure my opinions will change with time and experience.

Good luck!

Hey Sciencenerd10,

I think I will throw in my 2 cents because I was (still am) in your exact same shoes asking the exact same questions. I have been accepted into veterinary school (c/o 2019) with hopes of pursuing zoo/exotic medicine. All of the information given so far is correct in that this field is extremely competitive and you're only getting a job after you pay your dues in a low paying intern position. Debt is a definite factor that makes most settle for something different like large or small animal medicine.

Scary stuff? I know. But here is my take on it. I've worked under five seasoned zoo/aquarium veterinarians (3 of which wrote my letters of recommendations for veterinary school; thanks you guys!) and they all recognize the difficulties in zoo medicine. Every single one of them worked in small animal medicine before getting into zoo medicine. There are pros and cons in this profession (and any medicial profession for that matter), so I asked them "Are you glad you chose veterinary medicine?" and I can happily say I received a resounding "Yes". There will be struggles in the future and you/I will have obstacles to overcome, but if veterinary medicine feels right then you will make it work. Zoo medicine is going to be tough to break into, but in my opinion I cannot wait to take the path that gets me there.

Last bit on euthanasia. This is definitely an aspect of veterinary medicine that makes some people uneasy. Even in zoo medicine, you may need to euthanize animals because of space availability and resources. It's an unfortunate piece of the puzzle and can turn people away from the profession. However, in my own career thus far, I've seen what a relief and gift euthanasia can be. Sometimes it's the only viable option and I am surprised human medicine is still behind the curve on legalizing it. It's an extremely powerful tool in veterinary medicine and when wielded inappropriately this tool can become a weapon, as seen when the dollar signs don't match the treatment options. That is a tough question to answer and it's very important that you sit and reflect on your own opinion because at the end of the day you must live with your decisions. In fact, this a question a lot of veterinary schools will ask in an interview so it's good to think about your answer. I found my answer by asking every veteriarian I knew.

Hope this helps and let me know in a reply/message if you have any follow-up questions. Always happy to answer them. Also, I am still a neophyte in career and I'm sure my opinions will change with time and experience.

Good luck!

Congratulations on getting accepted into vet school! I appreciate your reply. Do any of you think you can almost be too compassionate to work in this field? It may sound silly but I genuinely don't even like killing bugs. I put them back outside lol. :joyful: I know that euthanasia is a means to put an end to suffering and in situations like that you are truly helping the animal which is what this profession is all about. However, I don't agree with euthanizing an animal over money expenses or to make space accommodations in a zoo setting. That just doesn't sit well with me. Does a veterinarian have a right to refuse euthanasia to animals that truly don't need to be euthanized?

Current vet student... I've had 2 knee surgeries since vet school started and have spent quite a lot of time as a patient with my DPT... Honestly if I could go back and make different decisions I probably would go to PT, PA, or even human med school. The quality of life my DPT has is incredible- M-F work schedule 9-5, no on call or emergency duty and great pay. I love vet med, don't get me wrong, but the debt : salary ratio is outrageous. And the quality of life can be less than ideal. Im pretty sure I would have been happy in either of those fields and so I probably wouldn't make this decision again. Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, I don't agree with euthanizing an animal over money expenses or to make space accommodations in a zoo setting. That just doesn't sit well with me. Does a veterinarian have a right to refuse euthanasia to animals that truly don't need to be euthanized?

Technically, a veterinarian has the right to refuse a euthanasia. The reality, though, is that it completely depends on where you're working... because while your employer can't technically force you to do a euthanasia, he/she can fire you if you're not a good fit for the practice and don't generally practice in line with their established standards. My current job (in a corporate practice) is the first job where I've truly felt free to decline euthanasias without repercussions. I had one other job where I was expected to euthanize any and all patients that presented for euthanasia with no questions asked (as only clinic in town who didn't require a physical exam before anesthesia, we saw a lot of new client "out to the car euthanasias... literally climb in the owner's backseat, euthanize the dog, and they drive away.. yuck). My other jobs (three) all technically left the decision up to me, but I was criticized if I declined to do a euthanasia (plus the boss would just go behind me and do it himself), and therefore the clear message was to just do it if I wanted to remain a long-term employee.

So, it really depends on where you're working. I'd imagine that as a zoo veterinarian, you would have little to no say in the matter of what gets euthanized.

However, I don't agree with euthanizing an animal over money expenses or to make space accommodations in a zoo setting.

Euthanizing animals due to financial constraints is something that unfortunately does happen somewhat regularly in veterinary medicine. When your options are 1. Send the animal home to die of its condition without any treatment or 2. Euthanize the animal to put an end to its suffering, number 2 becomes the clear correct option. I get that it sucks, but you can't make money appear out of thin air and you can't take on every animal that a client can't afford to treat.

Congratulations on getting accepted into vet school! I appreciate your reply. Do any of you think you can almost be too compassionate to work in this field? It may sound silly but I genuinely don't even like killing bugs. I put them back outside lol. :joyful: I know that euthanasia is a means to put an end to suffering and in situations like that you are truly helping the animal which is what this profession is all about. However, I don't agree with euthanizing an animal over money expenses or to make space accommodations in a zoo setting. That just doesn't sit well with me. Does a veterinarian have a right to refuse euthanasia to animals that truly don't need to be euthanized?

Yes, you do. However, that can also result in the animal just going back home to die a slow and painful death, or the owner taking it back home to shoot it/smash its head with a rock/leave it out in the woods/whatever. I guarantee either will be much worse for the animal than being humanely euthanized in a calm environment by a professional.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. For those of you who are veterinarians now, did you feel as though this was what you were "destined" to do? Was it something you always dreamed of doing and then the actual realities of the career have not measured up to those dreams? And do you feel as though you can be almost too compassionate for this career? Will this career break someone down who hates to see any animal suffer?

All of your replies are great! It is very invaluable to be able to get advice from people who know the profession inside and out! :)

Thanks so much for everyone's input. For those of you who are veterinarians now, did you feel as though this was what you were "destined" to do? Was it something you always dreamed of doing and then the actual realities of the career have not measured up to those dreams? And do you feel as though you can be almost too compassionate for this career? Will this career break someone down who hates to see any animal suffer?

I didn't decide in pursuing vet med until end of high school, so I wouldn't say that I felt I was destined to become one. It's a profession/carrier that suits me very well. I feel like what I imagined is pretty much what I'm experiencing.

It personally peeves me when people make the "too compassionate" to be a vet comment. I hear it all the time from clients. As if it means that vets must be less compassionate.

Euthanasias can be tough, and sometimes it really pisses me off when I'm essentially euthanizing because the owners "don't want to deal with" whatever issue the pet has. So that's convenience euthanasia in a way, but if the pet's not super adoptable, then euthanasia likely really is the best option for that pet.

Just because I perform these euthanasias day in and day out I don't think makes me any less compassionate than anyone else who can't or won't do it. I just happen to be someone who won't pass the buck to an unknown potentially worse outcome.

Could this career break someone down because they hate seeing animals suffer? Possibly. But those people usually don't make it to the point where they get through school and become a veterinarian. If you're not sure, I suggest you spend more time in clinical settings until you have enough experience to know for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Minnerbelle. I was afraid someone would take my "too compassionate" question in that way. To clarify, I do not think vets are less compassionate for performing humane euthanasia to end an animal's suffering. I say "too compassionate" as in too emotionally upset over anything related to animal suffering. Two people could both be just as compassionate but one may be able to somehow separate their emotion out of the equation more than the other. That is what I mean by "too compassionate". Some can drive by an animal that has been killed on the side of the road, one will think "oh that's sad" and keep driving, the other may cry the rest of the way to work. Maybe too emotional is a better way to say it. So do you think you can be too emotional regarding animals to get into this field?

Thank you Minnerbelle. I was afraid someone would take my "too compassionate" question in that way. To clarify, I do not think vets are less compassionate for performing humane euthanasia to end an animal's suffering. I say "too compassionate" as in too emotionally upset over anything related to animal suffering. Two people could both be just as compassionate but one may be able to somehow separate their emotion out of the equation more than the other. That is what I mean by "too compassionate". Some can drive by an animal that has been killed on the side of the road, one will think "oh that's sad" and keep driving, the other may cry the rest of the way to work. Maybe too emotional is a better way to say it. So do you think you can be too emotional regarding animals to get into this field?

Yes, you need to have a good handle on your emotions to make it in this profession.

OP:

You mentioned that you don't agree with companion animal euthanasia on the basis of cost concerns. What, I ask, do you expect owners to do when treatment options for a pet runs in the thousands of dollar range (even hundreds may be a stretch for some clients)? Mortgage their homes? Run through their childrens' education funds? Forego food and rent? The decision to forego treatment and opt for euthanasia in the face of expensive treatment is not an easy decision to make. Although pet insurance is available, many clients 1. don't even know it exists 2. can't afford it 3. haven't opted for it by the time a pet has become critically ill. Would you blast these people for their decision to euthanize a beloved pet, as opposed to taking it home and allowing it to suffer without adequate treatment? Owners and vets are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to cost. There just isn't a good solution, and euthanasia is often a humane choice in an untenable situation. It frustrates me when practitioners (or aspiring vets) get on a client's case for this.

As for zoological settings, you mention that you have extensive experience here. Euthanasia for 'non-medical' reasons (i.e. population control, unwanted breedings, etc.) will be a part of your role in this setting. Are you on board with that? I'm curious how that works, but you'll get on a client's case for not being able to materialize cash from nothing.

Lab Vet, I am not blasting anyone for choosing euthanasia to end the suffering of their animal. I am saying I don't agree with euthanizing an animal if it is a simple fix, something I could easily do to help the animal, but the owner can't afford a couple hundred dollars worth of treatment. I would feel as though it is my duty to save this animal and I would have the skills to do so. Therefore, I would prefer to just treat the animal myself at no charge rather than euthanize. I know this would create problems financially, as the medications and resources have to come from somewhere. So I was trying to get more information on how often this happens, because no, it does not sit well with me to euthanize an animal that has opportunity for a happy healthy life and the only thing standing in the way is a few hundred dollars. I would want to treat the animal for it's own sake, as well as for it's owner. I was not bashing anyone who has had to make the decision to end their pets life because of medical expenses.

As for zoological settings, I didn't say I have extensive experience in zoo settings. I have zero experience in zoo settings. I have been trying to get into the field to observe and acquire volunteer hours but the field is competitive and some locations don't even allow volunteers. Again, the reason I asked about how often animals are euthanized for population control in the zoo setting is because I don't believe in that. I believe there has to be a better solution. Perhaps relocating the animal to another sanctuary or supplying birth control to limit unwanted breeding.

I ask these sensitive questions because they are something I must really consider. I am not bashing anyone who has had to euthanize an animal because of money expenses, vet or client. I am saying that I would struggle with this ethically because I would know I have the ability to save them. I was wondering how often this happens, if there are other options such as surrendering the animal for treatment or starting an organization that helps with expenses. I wouldn't want an animal who has the opportunity to get better and live a long life by the side of their human to not get that opportunity over a small cost.

So I was trying to get more information on how often this happens, because no, it does not sit well with me to euthanize an animal that has opportunity for a happy healthy life and the only thing standing in the way is a few hundred dollars. I would want to treat the animal for it's own sake, as well as for it's owner. I was not bashing anyone who has had to make the decision to end their pets life because of medical expenses.
often

Reactions: 1 users
Lab Vet, I am not blasting anyone for choosing euthanasia to end the suffering of their animal. I am saying I don't agree with euthanizing an animal if it is a simple fix, something I could easily do to help the animal, but the owner can't afford a couple hundred dollars worth of treatment. I would feel as though it is my duty to save this animal and I would have the skills to do so. Therefore, I would prefer to just treat the animal myself at no charge rather than euthanize. I know this would create problems financially, as the medications and resources have to come from somewhere. So I was trying to get more information on how often this happens, because no, it does not sit well with me to euthanize an animal that has opportunity for a happy healthy life and the only thing standing in the way is a few hundred dollars. I would want to treat the animal for it's own sake, as well as for it's owner. I was not bashing anyone who has had to make the decision to end their pets life because of medical expenses.

As for zoological settings, I didn't say I have extensive experience in zoo settings. I have zero experience in zoo settings. I have been trying to get into the field to observe and acquire volunteer hours but the field is competitive and some locations don't even allow volunteers. Again, the reason I asked about how often animals are euthanized for population control in the zoo setting is because I don't believe in that. I believe there has to be a better solution. Perhaps relocating the animal to another sanctuary or supplying birth control to limit unwanted breeding.

I ask these sensitive questions because they are something I must really consider. I am not bashing anyone who has had to euthanize an animal because of money expenses, vet or client. I am saying that I would struggle with this ethically because I would know I have the ability to save them. I was wondering how often this happens, if there are other options such as surrendering the animal for treatment or starting an organization that helps with expenses. I wouldn't want an animal who has the opportunity to get better and live a long life by the side of their human to not get that opportunity over a small cost.

Vet med isn't going to be the right place for you then.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, I highly recommended shadowing at multiple clinics (and other sectors of the profession) before committing to veterinary school. You need to be exposed, up close and personal, to the realities of ethical decision making in this field.

A little heads up on zoo work. Sometimes, the decisions concerning a particular individual aren't left up to you (as the associate or primary veterinarian). They go way above your head. They're dictated by the organization responsible for the oversight of zoological parks, and are, in part, determined by other facilities within the professional community. You're right- artificial birth control is used in captive zoological settings. What if that plan fails, though (it happens in human medicine, and veterinary medicine as well)? Now what? You've got a new representative of a particular species, with no room to house it. Want to ship it off to another facility? Great plan...if space exists. What if it doesn't?

I could list off several scenarios just like this one, situations you'll face as a veterinarian in zoo practice. What about companion animal exotics? There, you'll be dealing with many owners who had no idea what they were getting into when investing in an exotic animal for a pet. As such they provide substandard husbandry for the animal, leading to health concerns that may or may not be amenable to treatment. Similarly, you'll get folks who thought it was an awesome idea to get a cockatoo for a pet, only to recognize two weeks into the relationship that they can't stand the bird's screaming (which is, of course, a normal action in that species' behavioral repertoire). Now what are they going to do?

I don't mention these situations to turn you off from the profession. Vet med is wonderful. It's a dream come true to be pursuing my professional passion. There are, however, difficult decisions to be made, on a regular basis. You have to have the stomach for this type of work, and be capable of maintaining a healthy degree of professional distance from the situation at hand. That's not to say that you shouldn't care for your cases. Far from it- the day a veterinarian 'stops caring' is the day he or she should hang up the shingle and get out. Objective distance and lack of care are two very different balls of wax.

Use your shadowing opportunities (in whatever setting you're in) wisely to get a feel for what the burden of decision making is like. Be honest with yourself. Do you see yourself capable of making the tough calls, day in and day out? Tough calls involving owner neglect and ignorance? Tough calls involving financial concerns? Tough calls regarding the fact that veterinary medicine is a business? Tough calls, all the time...no matter what sector of vet med you practice.

I wish you the best of success in the journey to self knowledge. Use every opportunity you can find to dig deep into what this job is really like. Ask the hard questions...what do the practitioners NOT like about their jobs. Then, ask yourself if you could handle those very same burdens.

OP...I recommend this book:

Amazon product

There are 100 cases in this book, from EVERY sector of the profession (companion animal, food animal, equine, exotics, lab animal, corporate practice, etc.) based on actual events. Read through a few of these (especially those with which you are less familiar). This will give you a great idea as to what you'll be faced with when you finish vet school.

I read this book cover to cover (prior to vet school), and found it very engaging. Some of the scenarios, I could never have envisioned (partly because I knew little about that field, partly because some of the human behavior associated with a particular case was atrocious).

Ethics in vet med happen to be a pet interest of mine. As an individual wholly committed to one of the more controversial fields in the profession, I think about these things all the time. In MOST situations, the lines are grey, not black and white. The cut and dry cases exist, but these are far less frequent. It's important to 'check in' with yourself, often, on difficult issues. Where do you stand, and why? Can you see it from the opposite point of view? While reducing conflict and building consensus should always be the goal, sometimes you need to stand up. Get a feel for where your tipping point is, and recognize that your views on a particular issue may change with the introduction of new information. One person's perspective is very rarely 'correct.' *Disclaimer...the black and white, right and wrong, line in the sand cases certainly exist- but more frequently, you'll be dealing in shades of grey. It's important to have comfort here.

OP...I recommend this book:

Amazon product

There are 100 cases in this book, from EVERY sector of the profession (companion animal, food animal, equine, exotics, lab animal, corporate practice, etc.) based on actual events. Read through a few of these (especially those with which you are less familiar). This will give you a great idea as to what you'll be faced with when you finish vet school.

I read this book cover to cover (prior to vet school), and found it very engaging. Some of the scenarios, I could never have envisioned (partly because I knew little about that field, partly because some of the human behavior associated with a particular case was atrocious).

Ethics in vet med happen to be a pet interest of mine. As an individual wholly committed to one of the more controversial fields in the profession, I think about these things all the time. In MOST situations, the lines are grey, not black and white. The cut and dry cases exist, but these are far less frequent. It's important to 'check in' with yourself, often, on difficult issues. Where do you stand, and why? Can you see it from the opposite point of view? While reducing conflict and building consensus should always be the goal, sometimes you need to stand up. Get a feel for where your tipping point is, and recognize that your views on a particular issue may change with the introduction of new information. One person's perspective is very rarely 'correct.' *Disclaimer...the black and white, right and wrong, line in the sand cases certainly exist- but more frequently, you'll be dealing in shades of grey. It's important to have comfort here.

Pssst what book? It's not showing up (at least on my screen)

Thanks everyone. Lab Vet, thank you for the book recommendation. I will definitely check it out! I am truly digging deep before I take the plunge into graduate school. These are all things I really have to consider. I appreciate everyone's input. :)