Am I crazy? LDR w hubs and daughter?

kittenj

Mizzou c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:
I'm a non-trad vet school applicant, 26 yrs, married (8 yrs), 4 yr old daughter. My hubs has a semi-successful auto business. We own our house. The vet school is 2 hrs away.

For years our friends/family have been asking what we are going to do about this distance issue when I get into vet school. Generally we have told people we will figure it out, we may have to close the business and move. As it gets closer I am wondering how feasible it would be to have my hubs and daughter stay here, and my living in an efficiency or w a roommate at school. I would travel home on weekends.

Anyone else do this? Anyone else think it's doable/crazy? I'm mostly worried about missing my daughter and vice versa. My relationship with my hubs worries me a lot less (in a good way :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on your application! I don't really know much about vet school schedules, but would it be possible to commute? It would be 4 hours each day, but if you could make it home in time to spend some time with your husband and daughter, it could be worth it. Maybe you could record the lectures and re-listen to them as you drive?

But, if that's not possible, maybe you could try to come home at least one night a week. That way, you'd have Friday, Saturday, Sunday (drive up Monday morning), and one week night with them. That wouldn't be so bad, and you'd have a kid-fix to get you through the week.

If you're considering moving, would it be possible to move somewhere in between? You and your husband would each have an hour commute each way, but you wouldn't have to have a LDR, and your daughter would have both of you there for her.

Again, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I would agree with moving in-between your husband’s business and your school. An hour commute for both of you would seem reasonable. You could rent out your home and possibly purchase another home. I don't know if you meant that you owned your house outright or if you still owe payments but this could be a good opportunity for an investment at the same time as investing in your continued education. An hour drive is also a good way to get work and school off your mind before you get home ;).