LDR, Both premed and a medical student

blackwolf04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haven't done it personally but there have been lots of successful LDRs in my class. Best idea is to set an end plan: he needs to plan residency based on large cities where you will have good options to match, and if you're one year behind only, he might want to do a research year so you two can couples match or something. It's easier when it's not forever.

My husband is an MS2 and I'm going to be an MS1 this fall at a school ~1,000 miles from my husband's school. It's terrifying and I hate that we won't live together for this next year, but it's doable, and you will get through it if this is someone you want to marry. It sounds like being apart might be what your relationship needs if you find yourself feeling dependent on him. Long distance is awful (my husband and I already did it once), but it's doable and couples can survive it. Also enjoy the time that you have together since it seems that you won't be doing long distance for a year or so. Come find me one year from now to hear how it actually went for us.

Edit: Additionally, it's important to find a way to do residencies in the same location (or nearby). My husband is sacrificing his ideal residency location to try and get a residency near my medical school. It's all about compromise, and sometimes that means putting your relationship first.