All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been wondering what everyone feeds their pets. Recently I have been shying away from brand names that can be found in the grocery store, instead going with the more expensive (supposedly healthier) brands. My cats currently eat Merrick Before Grain which seems to be really good food. Toby eats Vet's Choice, a locally made food in upstate New York. I've read quite a bit about the pet food industry and honestly it seems that most if not all of what you see on the packaging is BS, regardless of the brand. With all the recalls and funny business going on in the ingredients list it's really hard to know what to buy or if it's even something worth stressing over. Ideally I'd like to avoid a food with a bunch of preservatives and added chemicals but at the same time I've had cats who lived for 15 years on Purina Cat Chow, so I find myself wondering if it's really worth the extra cash. Anyone have any thoughts?

A little late to the conversation but I feed my cat Fancy Feast canned food (grilled varieties only--she absolutely refuses to live without it and gives me hell if I don't feed it to her), and then I also give her Blue Buffalo dry food, either the indoor cat or chicken flavor. Blue Buffalo appealed to me (I was just commenting on how good their marketing is to my friends) and they use high quality ingredients. On the other hand, my bf's parents' cat lived to 23 (passed when we were 22), and her 2 kittens lived to 21 years old. They were all fed Friskies canned food and dry food and were very healthy basically up until they passed.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of it until I came to the US. We never did anything like that in Germany with our dogs and even when I was shadowing at the vet clinic, I didn't see it.

But apparently Ivy does it herself is what a vet student told me after we got to smell it a few times. :scared:

Interesting. I'm not against feeding dogs starch, like that from potatoes. However, I've found my own animals seem healthier when they eat reduced grains (especially corn). I tend to avoid food that lists starch as the first ingredient. I also hate that food coloring is used in dog food. Seriously dogs are red-green color blind. The colors are just for people. Also I don't like the artificial preservatives for myself or my animal. That being said, I've always heard "Don't change what works." If a food is working well for your animals, regardless of who makes it, don't mess with it. You could do more harm than good in some animals. That being said, sometimes it's nice to change their diet to add some variety.

I emptied my pup's anal glands for the first time last night. :naughty:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have to ask-- do some dogs just need help with this, while others don't? And if they need it done once, will they need it done periodically after that, or is it just a random occurrence? I only see it done when I work a rare day shift at my clinic (and it has usually been smaller breeds). I know a couple of dog owners who have no idea that their dogs even have anal glands because they've never needed them emptied!

Anyway, I asked once and my vet told me that if your dog is scooting, you know he needs emptyin'. But my dog wasn't scooting, I just noticed a very foul stench emanating from his butt. Also, licking, lots of licking.

I've heard it can have something to do with the amount of fiber in their diet because stool that is too loose or too hard makes it difficult for the animals to express them on their own when they defecate. However, I think it is also an indication of allergies. Usually anal glands and ears go with allergies. Some dogs just need a single expression, some need it occasionally, and then there are the special cases that come in every 4-6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard it can have something to do with the amount of fiber in their diet because stool that is too loose or too hard makes it difficult for the animals to express them on their own when they defecate. However, I think it is also an indication of allergies. Usually anal glands and ears go with allergies. Some dogs just need a single expression, some need it occasionally, and then there are the special cases that come in every 4-6 weeks.

That's actually really interesting--I had no idea that it could be connected to allergies. It makes sense though, seeing as mine's an allergy prone problem-child :laugh:

I emptied my pup's anal glands for the first time last night. :naughty:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have to ask-- do some dogs just need help with this, while others don't? And if they need it done once, will they need it done periodically after that, or is it just a random occurrence? I only see it done when I work a rare day shift at my clinic (and it has usually been smaller breeds). I know a couple of dog owners who have no idea that their dogs even have anal glands because they've never needed them emptied!

Anyway, I asked once and my vet told me that if your dog is scooting, you know he needs emptyin'. But my dog wasn't scooting, I just noticed a very foul stench emanating from his butt. Also, licking, lots of licking.

Some dogs don't have firm enough stools to express the anal glands or they can have very small holes that get clogged (small breeds mostly). You will either notice scooting, or licking and sometimes just really, REALLY stinky breath. Sometimes increasing fiber will help to improve the stool so that the anal glands are expressed w/o help. Every dog is different. Some need it often and others never need it. It can be related to allergies also from what I remember.

Hope that helps!;)

As a first year vet student, do a lot of students have pets? As for me personally, I'd like to adopt a small dog if I get into veterinary school as a study buddy. But is this the right thing to do? One school told me absolutely, while another said maybe not? I know one student said that a dog is a stress reliever and reminds him why he is in vet school, while another was always at the school studying and couldn't imagine going home to take care of a dog.What are everyone's thoughts on this being that I don't currently have a dog but would like one?

As a first year vet student, do a lot of students have pets? As for me personally, I'd like to adopt a small dog if I get into veterinary school as a study buddy. But is this the right thing to do? One school told me absolutely, while another said maybe not? I know one student said that a dog is a stress reliever and reminds him why he is in vet school, while another was always at the school studying and couldn't imagine going home to take care of a dog.What are everyone's thoughts on this being that I don't currently have a dog but would like one?

I gave myself a semester to get adjusted but am currently working on trying to adopt a dog now that this semester is a lot easier schedule-wise. I definitely wouldnt have had time last semester when I was adjusting. I did adopt a guinea pig though from a student in her second year.

I had one dog prior to vet school and adopted another about a month before first year. totally worth it in my opinion. it helps to have "good dogs" who can be left alone for longer days. I def would not recommend a puppy! my adopted dog was about 18mo and even that was younger than I wanted. other dog was 3 when I started school. I've never had any issues with finding time to let them out and all that, although they are def bored at times

So, a situation actually came up where I may be getting a cat. I am going to drive 3 hours next weekend to meet her and go from there.

There is one thing I am concerned about: she was an outdoor cat before this lady took responsibility. She is an avid hunter.

I have two rats.

Could I curve this behaviour? Or do you think given her history that I will have to keep them separated at all times? Does it depend on the animal?

Our family cat grew up in a questionable home. When I had my gerbils down over Christmas, the cat just sat on the top of the cage and watched them.

After a couple years, you maybe could leave them together, but it depends on the cat.

I would NEVER leave them where the cat has access to them. Always keep them seperate. Or you may not have rats very long.

This is why cats exist. :D

Now I am having second thoughts. That stupid stupid stupid rat forum I am on. There were so many comments about positive rat/cat interactions. As soon as I asked about my situation, I got "shouldn't risk it". *headdesk*. Is it too far fetched to bring the rats with me when I visit the cat?

I do have a separate room to keep them in... but I would prefer to have my rats in the living room while I am home. I also have a feeling that the boyfriend will not tidy his office area up so they actually have space in there.

Now I am having second thoughts. That stupid stupid stupid rat forum I am on. There were so many comments about positive rat/cat interactions. As soon as I asked about my situation, I got "shouldn't risk it". *headdesk*. Is it too far fetched to bring the rats with me when I visit the cat?

I do have a separate room to keep them in... but I would prefer to have my rats in the living room while I am home. I also have a feeling that the boyfriend will not tidy his office area up so they actually have space in there.

If you have a solid cage that the cat cannot get into, I see no problem with having them in the same room. What I was saying was do not let them roam about where the cat can get them. ESPECIALLY, since this is an outside cat you are bringing in. It's their natural instinct to hunt mice/rats.

I have see plenty of cat/rat good relationships, they even play with each other. However, usually it is a kitten that has grown up with rats and doesn't even think about eating them. Same with cat/bird pets.

As for the cage, I would buy snaps(ones that dog leashes have) at your local hardware store and put them on ALL cage pieces that could come apart. Cats can easily pry things open if motivated enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was doing some reading since making the post and the information I am finding is all over the board. The cage is on a table in the corner of the living room. It's not a Ferret Nation type cage but its fairly sturdy. I think zip-tying the bars wouldnt be a bad idea. The snaps are a really good idea. The bars though are 1" wide. The cat is double pawed though.

I already know not to have the rats out around the cat :)

What I really wanted to know is if there is a chance that I could eventually leave the cage in the living room at all times without a disaster happening (I am just picturing the cat trying to climb the cage and having the whole thing topple over) I reckon it depends on the cat. I don't know anyone who has been through this situation and I really don't know who to ask for advice.

I was doing some reading since making the post and the information I am finding is all over the board. The cage is on a table in the corner of the living room. It's not a Ferret Nation type cage but its fairly sturdy. I think zip-tying the bars wouldnt be a bad idea. The snaps are a really good idea. The bars though are 1" wide. The cat is double pawed though.

I already know not to have the rats out around the cat :)

What I really wanted to know is if there is a chance that I could eventually leave the cage in the living room at all times without a disaster happening (I am just picturing the cat trying to climb the cage and having the whole thing topple over) I reckon it depends on the cat. I don't know anyone who has been through this situation and I really don't know who to ask for advice.

Can I just suggest... keep an eye on craigslist (or whatever that weirdly named Canadian version is) for a legit ferret nation? I see them all the time, and seriously, I could not imagine keeping a small animal in another type of cage now that I've had one (have a triple tier for my furritos). They're amazing to clean and totally secure. No cat would get into it, ever.

I have been keeping an eye out. They are still a lot of money here used.

Would a taller table discourage a cat from accessing the cage? The cage is the same dimension as the table it is on now, so there is not room for a cat to sit there. I was if a higher table would discourage a cat from jumping at the bars.

I am getting a lot of mixed reviews on the rat forum I am on. I guess I still have a few days to decide if I want to go through with this.

I have been keeping an eye out. They are still a lot of money here used.

Would a taller table discourage a cat from accessing the cage? The cage is the same dimension as the table it is on now, so there is not room for a cat to sit there. I was if a higher table would discourage a cat from jumping at the bars.

I am getting a lot of mixed reviews on the rat forum I am on. I guess I still have a few days to decide if I want to go through with this.

Ten to one if the cat is prey driven it's going to find a way to get up on the table/cage to get a peek. Your best bet is getting a really solid cage that a cat cannot get into. I think if you had that you shouldn't have to worry about having the rats and the cat together. Unless of course it really freaks the rats out. Some cats have super strong prey drives and there is no discouraging them from wanting to eat small furry and feathered things. 1 inch bars are probably wide enough that the cat could fit her paws in there even with the extra toes. You might be better off keeping the cage on the floor so that the cat wouldn't jump up on the table and knock the whole thing over.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it :D

I am a very cautious person. I do not take decisions like this lightly.

The rats came first, so I am going to have to do what is best for their needs. They did grow up in a household with a loud dog. I had gerbils too.

I just had a look on Kijiji and there are no sturdier cages at the moment. I think I will keep an eye out more often than I do. I dream of a ferret nation cage. Our cage does the trick but it is an eyesore haha. It was a kijiji find!

The boyfriend is going to clean out his office. He wants to see the rat cage go in there when we are not home. The office was going to be off limits to the cat anyway because of all of the video equipment he has in there.

Besides the rats, we seem to be a good fit so far for the cat. The owner seems to think she will do a lot better in a quieter household with no other cats. She uses a scratching post and she doesn't get up in places where she shouldn't be. She keeps to herself but is affectionate and does not mind being picked up. She is a calico.

uploadfromtaptalk1359761163952.jpg
This little beast is getting neutered this weekend. Is it to much to ask that maybe he'll tone down his antics a little sans testicles? Probably... He's already getting chubby which means I'm in trouble for when his metabolism slows down after his neuter!
Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

This is the night we brought home my Dana. She was the offspring of unwanted dog dumped in the boondocks of central FL. She was supposed to be a "fatten up, spay, and then re-home" project.

180643_200366409973511_3669045_n.jpg

The re-homing part didn't work out too well... the fattening, well...:rolleyes:

546619_403700736306743_105653156_n.jpg

She enjoys sleeping on her back.

And our newest family member, Torque, the rescue mini aussie.

377352_497120960298053_513273437_n.jpg

My dogs hate each other

540536_447000305310119_806403236_n.jpg

Random pics of fosters who have since been adopted out.

430915_534615666548582_148423328_n.jpg

375733_472386652771484_208711786_n.jpg

306868_463827380294078_1102110336_n.jpg

542316_479608262049323_1198807905_n.jpg

Before:
With her foster dad Torque
564505_490828154260667_1763874573_n.jpg

536090_492850367391779_419190081_n.jpg

550717_498096070200542_2034255577_n.jpg

561895_496158177060998_1008039530_n.jpg

Current:
In her new forever home

62137_533886996621449_1767068372_n.jpg

When I brought my hamster home to a house with three cats, my dad built a simple "cage" to put the hamster cage in. Basically it was just a plywood bottom with PVC piping and chicken wire forming the sides. The top was open so the hamster cage could be easily lifted in or out, and the cats never tried to jump on top of it, but I always threw a towel over the top of the cage just in case. It wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing setup ever, but it worked perfectly and we never had a problem with the cats or the dog bothering the hamster. Probably cost less than $20 to build, too.

Putting my guinea pig on a two week trial of Doxy for sneezing and occasional nasal discharge in case he picked up Bordetella from the rabbit.

Also still failing on the "dog adoption" front. The second dog I was looking at went to classmate, which I'm happy because she has a good home, but I'm definitely jealous.

The rats came first, so I am going to have to do what is best for their needs.

When I got my cat (as a kitten), I already had two rats. During their first interaction the kitten was intrigued, but cautious. As she got bolder, and stuck her nose right up next to the wire cage edge, one of the rats bit off one of her whiskers. Since then, she knows who's the boss, and it isn't her. Now my rat can wander around the apartment and if she goes near the cat, the cat bolts for the other room. On a side note, my cat did manage to catch a mouse (my apartment building apparently has a mouse problem).

Recently I had a foster cat stay with me who had been living outdoors for weeks. He was pretty interested in the rat cage for the first few days, but I think as soon as he realized he would be fed regularly and not have to worry about catching his own food he totally stopped paying attention to it. Also, when there were mouse noises happening under my kitchen sink my resident cat was doing her best to get in there while the foster cat snoozed through it.

All this to say, I really think it depends on the cat. If she's really driven to get at them, she might be able to figure out a way to do it, but honestly I feel like your rats should be fine.

Putting my guinea pig on a two week trial of Doxy for sneezing and occasional nasal discharge in case he picked up Bordetella from the rabbit.

Also still failing on the "dog adoption" front. The second dog I was looking at went to classmate, which I'm happy because she has a good home, but I'm definitely jealous.

Oh...no fun having a sick GP.

Just keep looking. You'll find the perfect dog eventually. Are you looking for a specific breed? Are you looking at shelters or rescues? You can always tell the rescue what type of dog (personality and the like) you are looking for.

Oh...no fun having a sick GP.

Just keep looking. You'll find the perfect dog eventually. Are you looking for a specific breed? Are you looking at shelters or rescues? You can always tell the rescue what type of dog (personality and the like) you are looking for.

He's acting fine otherwise, and his lungs sound great, but since he's interacted with my roomie's rabbit I wanted to be on the safe side. If not, I'll probably look into switching to shredded paper for bedding in case it's dust from his aspen wood chips.

I'm looking for a smaller dog and have lately been falling for herding dog mixes (corgis, shelties, collies) that fall under 40 lbs. I think most have been more along the lines of 20-35lbs. I wouldn't mind a pittie either, but I kind of want to find a smaller one if possible...like a pocket pittie since I don't really want a super large dog. And that's a great idea of letting them know of which types of animals interest me...might have to do that.

I'm more bummed about this second one falling through because the rescue has yet to tell me the dog is no longer available, which I find a little annoying because I could be sitting here waiting for news and not looking at other dogs. I only know now because of the facebook pictures of her.

Thanks for sharing your story kcoughlie.
We cleared space in the office for the rats just as a precaution when we aren't home. Cat won't be allowed in there. He has an Aerogarden in there and is growing peppers (which he said is toxic to cats).

View attachment 22505
This little beast is getting neutered this weekend. Is it to much to ask that maybe he'll tone down his antics a little sans testicles? Probably... He's already getting chubby which means I'm in trouble for when his metabolism slows down after his neuter!
Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

I have a crazy 8 month old DSH that I had neutered about 2 months ago. It did not slow him down in the least. Nor did it stop him from sexually assaulting all of my fleece blankets. :annoyed:

Still love the little troublemaker to death, though :)

I find the lack of bird and reptile representation in this thread upsetting. So...

This is Minaj (I wasn't the one who named her...). She's a white dove (aka common pigeon who was bred to be white).

Aww this makes me smile :) My first pet was a domestic pigeon and he lived for 14 years. I still have his companion who is a ring-neck dove and he is about 11 years old now and doing very well.

He's acting fine otherwise, and his lungs sound great, but since he's interacted with my roomie's rabbit I wanted to be on the safe side. If not, I'll probably look into switching to shredded paper for bedding in case it's dust from his aspen wood chips.

I'm looking for a smaller dog and have lately been falling for herding dog mixes (corgis, shelties, collies) that fall under 40 lbs. I think most have been more along the lines of 20-35lbs. I wouldn't mind a pittie either, but I kind of want to find a smaller one if possible...like a pocket pittie since I don't really want a super large dog. And that's a great idea of letting them know of which types of animals interest me...might have to do that.

I'm more bummed about this second one falling through because the rescue has yet to tell me the dog is no longer available, which I find a little annoying because I could be sitting here waiting for news and not looking at other dogs. I only know now because of the facebook pictures of her.

This may sound crazy, but I've found it's much easier to clean my gp cage (and way cheaper) to use fleece bedding. Of course this works best if you have your own laundry set up (not sure if you do) but aside from buying the fleece (like you'd use for a blanket) you only have the cost of washing it (vinegar prewash and add some baking soda in with the laundry soap for the wash and it comes out really clean).

As far as the dogs go, it sucks the rescue hasn't notified you that she's already spoken for. However, they do get busy. I know the one I worked with takes a while to take dogs off petfinder. But they do what they can. I wish you luck finding the dog for you.

This may sound crazy, but I've found it's much easier to clean my gp cage (and way cheaper) to use fleece bedding. Of course this works best if you have your own laundry set up (not sure if you do) but aside from buying the fleece (like you'd use for a blanket) you only have the cost of washing it (vinegar prewash and add some baking soda in with the laundry soap for the wash and it comes out really clean).

As far as the dogs go, it sucks the rescue hasn't notified you that she's already spoken for. However, they do get busy. I know the one I worked with takes a while to take dogs off petfinder. But they do what they can. I wish you luck finding the dog for you.

The fleece bedding was actually something I was going to look into once I built my bigger cage. But if he continues to sneeze, I'll probably be doing it sooner than later. I was hoping he'd take to litter box training too so that maybe the cleaning would be easier but he's not 100% into it.

And I definitely realize rescues get busy, I guess I was just surprised since they emailed me back immediately with an application (which was the 29th) and didn't really say anything about there already being interest, since based on how soon afterwards I saw the pictures on FB, I would have assumed that they had somewhat of an idea. And I'm totally being a sore loser...

The fleece bedding was actually something I was going to look into once I built my bigger cage. But if he continues to sneeze, I'll probably be doing it sooner than later. I was hoping he'd take to litter box training too so that maybe the cleaning would be easier but he's not 100% into it.

And I definitely realize rescues get busy, I guess I was just surprised since they emailed me back immediately with an application (which was the 29th) and didn't really say anything about there already being interest, since based on how soon afterwards I saw the pictures on FB, I would have assumed that they had somewhat of an idea. And I'm totally being a sore loser...

My GPs' vet said that they don't really take well to litter box training. Something about not caring about keeping themselves clean. That's why my litter boxes are now hay feeders. Fleece bedding is awesome, though I have to "double layer" and make a tent to keep them from burrowing under the bottom. However, I just shake the poop and hay off and wash it. :xf: he stops sneezing soon.

My GPs' vet said that they don't really take well to litter box training. Something about not caring about keeping themselves clean. That's why my litter boxes are now hay feeders. Fleece bedding is awesome, though I have to "double layer" and make a tent to keep them from burrowing under the bottom. However, I just shake the poop and hay off and wash it. :xf: he stops sneezing soon.

i had success with litterbox training a piggie several years ago. of course as soon as we got her a mate, it all went to pot. silly pigs! my current pig would for sure be a poor candidate, she has NO regard what-so-ever for cleanliness :laugh:

Love my animals! My dog (great dane) is snoring on my bed as I study, she loves to help :love:

And my cat is pretending to be nice in order to get his dinner :laugh:

I use fleece bedding for the rats. It is so much easier to just replace the fleece when it starts to smell rather than dump shavings. My bottom tray is too shallow for shavings and I also have to cover up the grated levels with something else anyways.

I put old towels or the terrarium felt down first (which will absorb the pee) and a fleece layer on top (which whisks the pee to the bottom layer)

On the bottom of my cage, I just have a tea towel which I Velcro to the bottom. The rats have chewed a little bit but have never gotten underneath.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to make liners. I do not have a sewing machine. When I attempted it by hand, my shoddy sewing got chewed apart.

A lot of people purchase fleece blankets from second-hand stores. I found fleece pet blankets at the dollar store for $2.

I use fleece bedding for the rats. It is so much easier to just replace the fleece when it starts to smell rather than dump shavings. My bottom tray is too shallow for shavings and I also have to cover up the grated levels with something else anyways.

I put old towels or the terrarium felt down first (which will absorb the pee) and a fleece layer on top (which whisks the pee to the bottom layer)

On the bottom of my cage, I just have a tea towel which I Velcro to the bottom. The rats have chewed a little bit but have never gotten underneath.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to make liners. I do not have a sewing machine. When I attempted it by hand, my shoddy sewing got chewed apart.

A lot of people purchase fleece blankets from second-hand stores. I found fleece pet blankets at the dollar store for $2.

You can do that. I usually just by the polar fleece on sale at JoAnn Fabrics. It's usually 50% and ends up being $5 a yard. With three yards I get four pieces, which is like two weeks worth since I've got two cages for them. This stuff is usually thicker so I don't have to put anything underneath.

Aww this makes me smile :) My first pet was a domestic pigeon and he lived for 14 years. I still have his companion who is a ring-neck dove and he is about 11 years old now and doing very well.

It's great to hear your pigeon made it to 14. I doubt my girl will live that long given her condition, but she could surprise me--it's already been almost a year since she got sick (and she's always been one tough cookie). I love pigeons/doves (which i suppose is a bit obvious...) I've worked with bald eagles, andean condors, african penguins, and a some of the rarest birds in the world, but pigeons are my favorite! They have the best personalities! (Excuse my anthropomorphism for a moment...)

If you haven't already, check out ACCT and PSPCA shelters. They are a couple blocks from each other so you could visit both at once. PSPCA tends to have small dogs available and ACCT can be hit-or-miss but gets dogs of every breed too and plenty of little pit bulls :) Especially with ACCT there are in and out of there so fast that they usually have even more pets available that have not made it to the web site yet.

http://pspca.org/adoptions/erie-ave-pets/philly-pets/
http://www.acctphilly.org/adopt/available/dogs/

If you haven't already, check out ACCT and PSPCA shelters. They are a couple blocks from each other so you could visit both at once. PSPCA tends to have small dogs available and ACCT can be hit-or-miss but gets dogs of every breed too and plenty of little pit bulls :) Especially with ACCT there are in and out of there so fast that they usually have even more pets available that have not made it to the web site yet.

http://pspca.org/adoptions/erie-ave-pets/philly-pets/
http://www.acctphilly.org/adopt/available/dogs/

Im planning on doing that soon actually. Probably will be after break though since ineed to study.

Well I sure as heck can't resist talking about my fur-kids...

Shamrock is my approximately 3-year-old shetland sheepdog, rescued from a neglectful situation. He had pelvic fractures and a hip dislocation after being hit by car, and his previous owners refused to treat him. The humane authority stepped in and brought him to the hospital that I worked at for surgery and treatment. He was fostered by one of my coworkers and I eventually fell in love with him. He's my first dog and I am daily awed by how smart and how loyal he is. My only regret about getting a dog is not getting one sooner!

Ginny is my approximately 2-year-old domestic shorthair cat. She is royalty reincarnated. Myself and my partner exist solely for her to take lengthy, luxurious naps upon, and to feed her copiously and often.

Parting with them to go to vet school will break my heart.

Attachments

• Sham.jpg
    Sham.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Gin.jpg
    Gin.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 57
I'm looking for a smaller dog and have lately been falling for herding dog mixes (corgis, shelties, collies) that fall under 40 lbs. I think most have been more along the lines of 20-35lbs.

As I just posted, I have a sheltie of my own. They make awesome dogs!! The only downside to the herding breeds is their intelligence level -- which, of course, has its perks as well. I feel guilty working and being in school so much because I KNOW my dog gets bored. But man, he does great in training classes! He will earn his CGC certification on Sunday. :D

The other downside I've noted is that shelties and collies can have an obnoxious prey/herding drive that can take a lot to control. This can manifest itself in small annoyances, like constant barking, or more pronounced ones. My dog is moderately dog aggressive and will lunge at other dogs if the mood sets him. Just something to be mindful of if your roommates have pets too.

As I just posted, I have a sheltie of my own. They make awesome dogs!! The only downside to the herding breeds is their intelligence level -- which, of course, has its perks as well. I feel guilty working and being in school so much because I KNOW my dog gets bored. But man, he does great in training classes! He will earn his CGC certification on Sunday. :D

The other downside I've noted is that shelties and collies can have an obnoxious prey/herding drive that can take a lot to control. This can manifest itself in small annoyances, like constant barking, or more pronounced ones. My dog is moderately dog aggressive and will lunge at other dogs if the mood sets him. Just something to be mindful of if your roommates have pets too.

Oh know. I have a corgi at home who is dog reactive and barks a ton. Neither of us have dogs or cats (we have a guinea pig and rabbit though) but im looking at dogs that are socialized well because I want to be able to go to dog parks or have doggie playdates.

My ratties are now *mostly* litter box trained.... :D :D

Now, if they would just decide that I am not evil, that would be really nice.

They also have decided to destroy one of the toys I had in their cage... bad ratties... :laugh:

This is Mercutio, also known as Mr. Bird, or MB for short. He is my best friend (most of the time), he makes sure there is never a dull moment, and I just love him to pieces.

That being said, never get a cockatoo. EVER.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1360725406.524252.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1360725406.524252.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 65
Not the best quality photo, but this is my guy with his brand new cart after playing with a ball for the first time in a while. My mom also sent me a video of him playing and he looked quite happy. I was especially proud considering he got the cart yesterday and is generally afraid of new objects.

543488_554944191190620_1756918843_n.jpg

Not the best quality photo, but this is my guy with his brand new cart after playing with a ball for the first time in a while. My mom also sent me a video of him playing and he looked quite happy. I was especially proud considering he got the cart yesterday and is generally afraid of new objects.

So cute!! A tech I work with got a cart for her IVDD dachshund and she does great with it. I think the long period of crate rest beforehand makes them more receptive to the cart because ANY activity is exciting.

:clap: Yay for him. Thanks for sharing.