Alcohol and Urine Drug Screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am the world's biggest idiot...I have a drug test for tomorrow through my departments HR (routine testing we do every year). My friends and I decided to go out to eat at a local German restaurant and I ordered the Black Forest Cake. Realized after eating 2 slices that it was infused with Brandy/Cherries. I don't drink Alcohol or use any drugs so I am not worried about showing up intoxicated or over the legal limit. However, I am concerned it might show up as positive, is this something to let my drug examiner know about or do I explain into to my program at all?

I'm probably being neurotic about it but it seems like such a silly situation to be in and I would hate for it to be jeopardizing my career in any way.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well alcohol is legal....so not sure of the problem there.

Second, you shouldn't have a detectable blood alcohol level from eating cake 12 hours prior. And unless the cake was literally soaked with 151, I doubt it ever made you "intoxicated."

Reactions: 1 users
You probably wouldn't have much, if any, alcohol in your system 12 hours later even if you were sipping brandy while eating the brandy cake unless you got wrecked. Don't bring it up if they don't.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't get how someone with a medical degree and 1 year of residency done already wouldn't know this.

Reactions: 5 users
So I am the world's biggest idiot...I have a drug test for tomorrow through my departments HR (routine testing we do every year). My friends and I decided to go out to eat at a local German restaurant and I ordered the Black Forest Cake. Realized after eating 2 slices that it was infused with Brandy/Cherries. I don't drink Alcohol or use any drugs so I am not worried about showing up intoxicated or over the legal limit. However, I am concerned it might show up as positive, is this something to let my drug examiner know about or do I explain into to my program at all?

I'm probably being neurotic about it but it seems like such a silly situation to be in and I would hate for it to be jeopardizing my career in any way.

Thanks
Alcohol is metabolized pretty quickly. It will only show up positive if you are acutely intoxicated.

OTOH, cocaine will be positive 3 days, and MJ in a heavy user up to 1-2 months.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an ethanol screen. It wasn't even a blood alcohol level. It was a tongue swab, rapid diagnostic POC. Make sure you don't brush, use mouthwash or anything else that may contain trace alcohols a few hours before.