Can I order an urinalysis and culture for my aunt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chudat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a fellow in a nonprimary care specialty with active state license. Can i order an UA and UC for relative and how would I go about doing that?

Just call up quest diagnostics? How do I get the results as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a fellow in a nonprimary care specialty with active state license. Can i order an UA and UC for relative and how would I go about doing that?

Have your relative see a primary care doctor or a colleague. Don't try to do this yourself "off the books," especially if you're still in training.

Reactions: 8 users

You should tell her to see her doctor

Reactions: 1 user
I would not do that when a PCP or urgent care are available. My state’s medical board expects care of family only in particular circumstances, such as an emergency or an urgent need when no other physician is readily available.

Send her to someone else, even a CVS Minute Clinic to get the order. She can tell you the results. Or she can just call her PCP for the order, if it's a PCP she's already established with.

Yeah agree with others. Have your family member see someone who can diagnose and treat properly.

I assume it’s for UTI symptoms?
If they are having symptoms consistent with a UTI they should be started on the proper antibiotics, don’t need to UA and UCx right away to start treatment.

Therefore it doesn’t sound like you should be handling this case anyway.

I generally like psychiatrists but I had a patient’s psychiatrist girlfriend try to diagnose and treat him for urinary symptoms and it didn’t turn out well for him!

If you need to ask this question, you are not ready to order the test.

Years ago, this would have been far easier. However, today you would essentially have to do so through an EMR, which means creating a record, which means a whole lot of other things.

This isn't the sort of thing that would normally result in medical board discipline. but it will get you into a lot of trouble with various departments at your hospital.

When I was hiring/credentialing physicians I would usually give people one "mulligan." Within reason. Don't use up yours on something like this.

Just echoing what everyone else has said. It's relatively easy to call in a script for a family member, though whether or not one SHOULD is another matter entirely. Trying to order and follow up diagnostic tests is probably asking for trouble.