Albert Einstein Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ol'DocToxic said:
Hello all. Just got the news that I was accepted to AECOM off the fav list, so I will be joining you in the Bronx this summer.

Hi Doc,
Me too!
The medical people are certainly on my butt to get my forms in, but
I'm going to wait until I get from Berkeley to NY...I know an MD who will do my exam for free, which is good because I'm broke.

As for furniture, I'm strapping my desk to the roof of my little sedan and
stuffing the dissassembled bed in back....and hoping that my suspension
will hold for the 3000 mile drive. Oh please oh please....

Once upon a time I owned an SUV, and boy to I miss it now. Ohhh yes....

Look forward to meeting you all! I should be in the NYC area by mid-July,
staying with my parents until school begins.

Take care,
Anastasia :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i meant that the shipping from jcp cost 50 for the whole order...the mattress set that i got was something like 300...it was the cheapest one--im not too fussy as far as that goes...1800 mattress would give you the bed/shipping for like 400 so i didnt do that much better than that except of course that i also am shipping at the same time my desk and a couch (the girl i stayed with before my interview had a futon where im putting my couch so thats how i know it will fit)

yes fly into lga....but is there really no cheaper way than spending $40 to get from the airport to the school? thats really sucky for when my bf comes to visit (add 80 for transport to and from the airport on to his flight!?!?!?!) geez!

ps i think putting the wall up really does suck just bc its not like you CHOOSE to spend an extra 1000 on top of the rest of the cost--they choose for you...and lots of ppl dont have to...to me that seems ridiculous...can't you request a different room if you dont want to spend it?

Ol'DocToxic said:
Hello all. Just got the news that I was accepted to AECOM off the fav list, so I will be joining you in the Bronx this summer. Now I have less than 2 months to plan quitting my job and moving from the SF Bay area to NY. Plus all the health and housing stuff to take care of...I'm feeling a little buried. But the excitement of the knowledge that I am going to med school takes the edge off it.

Hey DocToxi, I'm moving from the Bay Area too! I don't plan to bring much aside my computer and clothes. Everything else will be bought in NY. Thank god my parents has room for me to store all my stuff for a few years. I'm going to miss my family and gf though. Anyone else keeping a long distance relationship in here?

Members don't see this ad :)
ive been in a long distance relationship for 3 yrs already so hopefully the first year of med school will be the 4th and last of the long distance phase---my bf is graduating college just as we finish our first year at aecom...so hopefully he can come up to nyc with us then :)

the1111gal said:
ive been in a long distance relationship for 3 yrs already so hopefully the first year of med school will be the 4th and last of the long distance phase---my bf is graduating college just as we finish our first year at aecom...so hopefully he can come up to nyc with us then :)

That's great Sasha! I'm sure if you made it through 3 years, the relationship is made to last already!

I'm going to need to shop for some clothes soon. California weather has spoiled me big time. Need some warm boots and a jacket to match.

I tried calling the housing office and the lady won't take my call... apparently she is "too busy to talk to every student that calls in" so I have e-mailed her and we'll see how that goes. I'm just pissed because it's not even like I can share the cost of the wall w/ my roommate because he is a 3rd year that's going to be moving into a single in August/September so obviously he doesn't want to share the expense and then who ever moves in won't want to because it will already be done. Ugh, this is frustrating!!!

the1111gal said:
ps i think putting the wall up really does suck just bc its not like you CHOOSE to spend an extra 1000 on top of the rest of the cost--they choose for you...and lots of ppl dont have to...to me that seems ridiculous...can't you request a different room if you dont want to spend it?

yeah thats ridiculous that they wont take calls, i think...its bad enough that they dont really have an email system set up (like all they show online is the phone number)...

its pretty random that you're like the only one that has a roommate so far and that you're with a 3rd year...do you think most of us will have first years? i mean not that i plan to live in the same place for 4 years anyway so i wouldnt be thrilled to have to pay for a wall, obv but i guess someone has to and if i get stuck with it, blah!

speaking of cold weather clothes...there was a great sale at landsend.com overstocks a little ago so me being the FL girl i am bought 4 sweaters...to keep me warm up north (I do actually have a winter jacket too btw lol) and my bf told me that you guys are going to call me "sweater girl" but ya'll wouldn't do that would you? ;)

oh that sucks!! i would be steamed right now....

they put you with other years? that could be cool, getting advice and all lol.

im still stuck on furniture and how i want to do it...how much do you think is reasonable for a frame and mattress? i just want a mattress and not a box spring, so i need a frame that could pull it off....i found a nice frame at jc penny for about 150, but then there's the mattress.....

and my cell phone...i have a phone already so i just want a plan.....and banking...so much to do!! lol. :p

did everyone see the email that dr. lazar sent out? it was realy cute when he didnt know how to send it lol.

its good to know the orientation schedule....but i didnt see a time slot for IKEA :oops:

wends said:
did everyone see the email that dr. lazar sent out? it was realy cute when he didnt know how to send it lol.

its good to know the orientation schedule....but i didnt see a time slot for IKEA :oops:

Just about to go on here to post about that and Wends beat me to it :p .

Looks like an action packed two days. Where is Ikea? So when can we formally move into the apartments? This is so confusing. I wanted to move in after my birthday so I can celebrate with my friends and family. I also want to know my apartment number/address so I can start ordering stuff to send there.

same here...thats why i called the housing office last week to find out when we'd actually find that stuff out...but they haven't called back and i feel like calling again won't accomplish anything--based on how they've treated loudawg (did you ever hear back from that email?)...

not sure where ikea is...try their website for locations? im not taking the ikea route, myself...so i never checked...

i think someone said we could move in at the beginning of july if we wanted to...but with none of us even knowing WHERE we will be living that might be untrue?

the1111gal said:
same here...thats why i called the housing office last week to find out when we'd actually find that stuff out...but they haven't called back and i feel like calling again won't accomplish anything--based on how they've treated loudawg (did you ever hear back from that email?)...

not sure where ikea is...try their website for locations? im not taking the ikea route, myself...so i never checked...

i think someone said we could move in at the beginning of july if we wanted to...but with none of us even knowing WHERE we will be living that might be untrue?

Yea Sasha. Seems like housing is bit uncertain right now. What's the point of turning that form in early when we need to wait so long. I think I'm going to give them a call soon too to find out everything. I was reading the orientation email again at first and I got an ambivalent feeling. I'm excited to be starting, but starting does scare me a bit (being out of school for two years will do that to you) and the thought of leaving my family and gf is a bit sad. Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do. At least I have cool people to hang out with. We should all hangout during the orientation together and wearing an extra nametag with our SN....or not, because we will look like the biggest bunch of dorks there, hahaha.

maybe we can all wear a certain kind of t shirt to find each other ;) wait, that's dorky too lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i already know what sasha looks like! you and your bf are such cuties!

so uegis, are you just going to order stuff and send the furniture there? im kinda weary of buying stuff on teh internet, esp my bed/mattress cause we dont have jcpenny in canada for me to check the stuff out, but delivery is 7-14 days and i dont want to sleep on the floor for that long.

yeah housing is taking a long time! a woman from the office told me to email her july 1 and she would have something concrete to tell me.

As long as the mattress doesn't have spring popping out, I'm okay haha. Shipping does take a long time though. I was told that 1800Mattress is not that great unless you have the time to bargain with them. My friend wound up paying a lot for her bed last year and they were slow for delivery. I'm going to email my uncle albert asking him some questions. I think its a bit unfair that I know everyone's name and no one knows mine. So my name is AECOM without the ECOM, haha. Figure that one out ;)

my aunt alberta disappeared off the planet :confused: , can i borrow your uncle albert? pass on his advice lol :p , oh and i think i have you on facebook already, but if not, pm me!

haha gotcha, A...

yeah 1800mattress gives me different prices every time i call...but they told me it was a 4 hr delivery window in nyc...and that they coudl get it to me the next day...i know they have a queen set with frame for around 440....

so tell them your friend got that deal lol...its like the lowest qual they have...but like you said...good enough

Nope, no facebook here wends. I don't have a school email address so I can't get on there :( . When people ask me where I'm going to med school I tell them "I'm Albert going to Albert Einstein!" They look at me like I'm an idiot everytime hahaha. Interestingly, I was named after Einstein by my aunt who loved physics. So it's only appropriate that I go to a school with his namesake. AND that aunt now lives in NY. How weird! Okay not really.

I forgot how big the rooms were already. Will there be ample room after a queen size bed for a desk and maybe a TV? I need my Leno and Conan!!

im not surprised people look at you like you're crazy ;)

anyway, they sent dimensions of the rooms with the housing info...but i left it at home (not sure if you did the same)...

i stayed overnight before my interview and my host had a queen bed, tv, desk, futon, bookshelf, and i assume some kind of chest/dresser (but i cant recall for sure...)....anyway i plan to have all of those things in my room...

yay we're finally in the class thread!

wow, the rooms sound pretty big if it can fit all that! im def splurging on a TV/DVD system, but i'll have to wait until a loan check comes in first :p they did give dimensions for the rooms but i stil didnt really know how big they were. wow you two are lucky with queen beds! im just getting a double, but i'll be a huge difference compared to the twin i had for undergrad.

do any of you have the email of the person in housing we are supposed to contact since they dont post that online?

hey sasha, try her: Anna Vitiello <[email protected]>

i emailed the director of housing and he had her email me back. Joseph Zagreda <[email protected]>

she told me to email her back july 1 as she had a pile of applications to go through!

So I was recently accepted off the fav list, but I am not on the email listserv that you all talk about. At least I assume I'm not since I'm getting no info emails from AECOM. Did everyone automatically get onto the email list or did they wait until you sent in a deposit or other paperwork?

you email [email protected] to get on....i think her exact email is on the email you received telling you that you got accepted. you can pm me your email and i can forward you the orientation schedule sent yesturday if you want.

i guess we have to wait till orientation to get our email addresses and all of that fun stuff--darn....but he did say we'd be flooded with info...couldn't they start now to reduce the flood later? ;)

in other news, it seems as if we wont be finding out our housing info until orientation either ;)

So long everyone, I was looking forward to meeting you all, but I just got into UCSD and as a socal native, I simply cannot turn it down. The decision was bittersweet as part of me was was very excited to move out to the urban jungle that is New York and meet what sounds like will turn into a very cohesive and fun class. It's always interesting to think what might have been when the road forks so suddenly like this. Farewell and good luck!

Hello
This is my first time posting here.
I am currently on the waitlist and have a few questions that I'd like to ask.
I'd really appreciate your help.

So... From what I read, it sounds like a 1-bedroom, 1bathroom apartment is shared by two people. Is that right?
And if you have 2 bed room / 1bathroom apt, it's gonna be occupied by three people?

Is there any *very important* information that you guys received via snailmail/email? like... when's the first possible day to move in?
how much is the rent?

Thanks in advance!
Caroline

As fate would have it, I am now headed to NYU now but I wanted to give you all my regards. From what I could gather from the emails, you seem like a truly talented and dynamic group. I wish you all the best.

-scoops

the1111gal said:
i guess we have to wait till orientation to get our email addresses and all of that fun stuff--darn....but he did say we'd be flooded with info...couldn't they start now to reduce the flood later? ;)

in other news, it seems as if we wont be finding out our housing info until orientation either ;)

Sasha--

just to clarify...did someone at housing tell you that we won't get info till move in? and if so, did they tell you anything about when we can move in?

Hannah

Hannah,
No, they actually never returned my phone call. They've told other people that we can move in July 1. They've also told others that more information will be available as of this date. I know of someone moving in this Saturday....I wish they'd send out an email or something!
Sasha

the1111gal said:
Hannah,
No, they actually never returned my phone call. They've told other people that we can move in July 1. They've also told others that more information will be available as of this date. I know of someone moving in this Saturday....I wish they'd send out an email or something!
Sasha

Grrrrr me too! I'm getting so antsy...and my mom is getting sick of the boxes I have yet to unpack from moving back home from school. I'd feel more justified in leaving them packed if I knew when I was moving again. :p

i just emailed them...but i think they might be closed bc its after 430 on a friday....they still havent returned my call so i doubt email will be any more effective......grrr!

yeah i really really want to know what kind of room i have and when we can move in. i want to order furniture before hand, but i need a phone number, and i was going to activate my cell phone which i just got for my bday when i got to new york. what should i do? i was thinking of just getting one of those pay as you go things for 10 bucks and use it up then get a verizon plan. :confused:

hey...i have no idea about the cell phone, im sorry...but I did get the following email from housing...after emailing them...

"You may move in your apartment as of 7/25, unless you need to move in earlier, but not on 7/1. The office is now close and I hope to hear from you when I come in on Monday. Let me know if I should send the info to you or you rather do everything once you arrive.

Anna"

So does this mean that if I call monday she can tell me my address and roommate/s? I hope so...How about I call and try to get her directly on the phone and then post to let you guys know what happened?

so any news? did you call sasha?

hey actually i woke up to an email...and i got my assignment, the address anyway.....and the knowledge that we are allowed to move in starting 7/25...so thats good except i thought loudawg had said earlier---any info re: that?....

but i dont know what kind of room it is? ie 1 br, 2 br? etc? i want to know that and who im living with---and soon!

why don't you try calling/emailing 2m to get your assignment address and also find out what kind of apt it is?

sasha

the1111gal said:
hey actually i woke up to an email...and i got my assignment, the address anyway.....and the knowledge that we are allowed to move in starting 7/25...so thats good except i thought loudawg had said earlier---any info re: that?....

but i dont know what kind of room it is? ie 1 br, 2 br? etc? i want to know that and who im living with---and soon!

why don't you try calling/emailing 2m to get your assignment address and also find out what kind of apt it is?

sasha

Hey I got my housing assignment today, a priority mail packet. That's funny you didn't get roommate info, cuz I received the name of my roomie. Yeah, we can officially move in on the 25th and our 1st month's rent and deposit are due by July 8, which is right around the corner.

I know that I'm sharing a one bedroom but I'm worried b/c I remembered someone posted here that they had to put a $2000 wall in their apartment. How do you know if you've gotten stuck with wall-less apt ? :laugh:

call/email housing to find out about the wall issue (i think it was 1000)? thats awesome that you know who your roommate is!

i didnt get mine in the mail yet---it was from the housing office directly so they didnt mention the whole roommate issue to me (maybe it will get to me in florida soon thogh?)--are you in nyc?

First month rent for August? So even if we don't move in until say August 10th, we still have to pay for the beginning of the month? Sounds like most leases, but I would rather not pay anything until I am actually moved in.

the1111gal said:
call/email housing to find out about the wall issue (i think it was 1000)? thats awesome that you know who your roommate is!

i didnt get mine in the mail yet---it was from the housing office directly so they didnt mention the whole roommate issue to me (maybe it will get to me in florida soon thogh?)--are you in nyc?

I'm not in NYC but upstate New York... Troy. I'm sure by the end of the week the info will make its way to Fla :)

Uegis said:
First month rent for August? So even if we don't move in until say August 10th, we still have to pay for the beginning of the month? Sounds like most leases, but I would rather not pay anything until I am actually moved in.

Hey there, I don't think you have much of a choice as to when you pay the rent. They claim that if the money is not received by the 8th, they will reassign your place to someone else :(

reggae girl said:
Hey there, I don't think you have much of a choice as to when you pay the rent. They claim that if the money is not received by the 8th, they will reassign your place to someone else :(

I figure that is how it would be like. I am so broke right now, I wish that I can get my financial aid first before having to pay. I know this info was given before, but how much was the deposit? Just want a general idea of how much I need to fork over.

Uegis said:
I figure that is how it would be like. I am so broke right now, I wish that I can get my financial aid first before having to pay. I know this info was given before, but how much was the deposit? Just want a general idea of how much I need to fork over.

I don't have the paper in front of me right now but off the top of my head if you're sharing with just one student: 1st month's rent $350 and a security deposit of $700, so $1050 by the 8th :eek:

reggae girl said:
I don't have the paper in front of me right now but off the top of my head if you're sharing with just one student: 1st month's rent $350 and a security deposit of $700, so $1050 by the 8th :eek:

1050?! Oh man, I need to start scrambling for cash. And I thought I could have some fun before school starts. Guess all my money is going to that.

just thought i'd join in - i'm in brooklyn and i got my housing assignment in the mail today! can move in 7/25 and i've got a roommate from class of 2007. sweet!

Hey, sorry I haven't been on here in a while...

I e-mailed housing like 2 weeks ago re: the wall issue, haven't heard anything back and they refuse to take my phone calls. I'm getting really frustrated. The only way that I know my apt doesn't have the wall built is my roommate is already living there (he's class of 2007). So, I guess you can either find out that way or try calling the housing office (I hope you have more luck than me). Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the $1000 to build this damn wall.

Oh, and as far as move in date... I feel that I got different info than everyone else because I got my housing packet almost a month ago. They let me chose my move-in date and I chose July 15th. Although, I haven't heard a word back from them since then so maybe they'll be changing me to July 25th too. Oh well, hopefully it'll all work out.

i havent received anything yet....does everyone have to pay by the 8th? thats cutting it close for me!

wends said:
i havent received anything yet....does everyone have to pay by the 8th? thats cutting it close for me!

wends, I don't think there were any exceptions to the 7/8/ deadline but you may wanna call and find out.

Loudawg, I called housing and gave them my address and they told me that my room has a wall :laugh: . Apparently, if your apartment was previously occupied by a couple and not by two random students then there is a chance that there would be no separating wall (just speculating).

By the way, does anyone know if we get to keep our apartment for 4 years or do we have to move out every year?

Sweet. I hope I get mine soon, but all the way in California. But if it is a priority package, shouldn't take more than 3 days. Dunno about Canada though, wends.

So did the admissions office request official trnascripts yet? I haven't sent mine. Has anyone else?

Uegis said:
So did the admissions office request official trnascripts yet? I haven't sent mine. Has anyone else?

I talked to Joan in the admissions office re: Tx's. She said that if you are done w/ college and your Tx's show that your degree was granted, they can be sent to the admissions office to her attention. I sent mine about 2 weeks ago.