Albert Einstein Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All,

I'm a current AECOM student, a first year from upstate new york. I can answer any questions you have - pm me. Also, I'd like to invite you to post on the boards on www.AECOMmunity.com which is a really nice guide for new students.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I choose this school from a long list and am very happy with my choice.

---------------------

Members don't see this ad.

sunsweet said:
There was an email from Dean Kerrigan w/the subject Welcome Back to Einstein. Its sort of an informal revisit (dinner, stay overnight, go to classes next day). Thats weird that you didn't get it. Something wrong w/your email? maybe you should call and make sure they have the correct email address for you.

Actually, maybe its not for all incoming students. Did everyone else get it? It might be for the Service and Research Scholarships recipients...?

i didn't get it either, and didn't know about it until my 'uncle albert' told me about it. i'm actually interested in going, but i think the cost of flying is holding me back. :\. ive spent sooo much this season on airfare, it sucks. the chicago o'hare airport is like my 2nd home now.

jdovez said:
I can't believe its taken this long for someone to start this! I am currently about 50% sure I will go to einstein (I have a really tough choice to make between essentially cost and location). Good luck to all!

I'm in the same boat...state school vs. einstein. I feel like I paid my dues by going to a state school for undergrad and deserve to move to a cooler location, but it does cost a whole lot more. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
PrettyInPink said:
I'm in the same boat...state school vs. einstein. I feel like I paid my dues by going to a state school for undergrad and deserve to move to a cooler location, but it does cost a whole lot more. :p

seems like a whole lot of people going to aecom are from the new york area. does anyone know what this percentage is around?

My student tour guide and Uncle Albert both said that the amount of CA people is arlound half as much as NY people. Wonder if this is true.

PrettyInPink said:

Seriously, I love nyc so much and I have a lot of friends, some fam etc there, so it is the natural location for me, but the cost is pretty staggering. On the other hand, I am not so fond of Texas in general (being polite), and although the people are nice, they are not, for the most part, my "cup of tea". This makes it a difficult choice given that tuition is about 1/3.5 as much as at einstein. Alas the decisions of life. If you have any epiphany please let me know.

Uegis said:
My student tour guide and Uncle Albert both said that the amount of CA people is arlound half as much as NY people. Wonder if this is true.

There are a number of cali people there for sure, a good friend of mine from davis goes there and he says cali is very well represented. I think a half decent way to gauge the number of cali folk would be to look at the match list and see who ranks back to cali. I would say its safe to assume that that number represents 50-90% of the number of cali people in the class (not a great estimate, but ballpark). I think the % just picking randomly off the top of my head is probably closer to 60-70, but who knows.

jdovez,
if you really don't like the texans, etc....and won't be happy there...then its worth the price difference--its only debt, after all...however, if you can stand it, it probably is better to have less debt whenever possible, especially if you're not prepared to go into one of the higher paying fields---being most interested in primary care, myself, I figured I'd never get out of debt if I got into it! (while not really true in any case, its how i felt)

the1111gal said:
jdovez,
if you really don't like the texans, etc....and won't be happy there...then its worth the price difference--its only debt, after all...however, if you can stand it, it probably is better to have less debt whenever possible, especially if you're not prepared to go into one of the higher paying fields---being most interested in primary care, myself, I figured I'd never get out of debt if I got into it! (while not really true in any case, its how i felt)

You have essentially summed up the bulk of my dilemma. I also am interested in primary care, and am very cognizant of my financial situation at all times. Hence the debt would be weighty for me, but would it outweigh the benefit of being back in nyc and around friends, etc.? I don't know. Oh well, I guess I have more meditation to perform.

jdovez said:
There are a number of cali people there for sure, a good friend of mine from davis goes there and he says cali is very well represented. I think a half decent way to gauge the number of cali folk would be to look at the match list and see who ranks back to cali. I would say its safe to assume that that number represents 50-90% of the number of cali people in the class (not a great estimate, but ballpark). I think the % just picking randomly off the top of my head is probably closer to 60-70, but who knows.
I think on my interview day someone told us that every year CA and NY are "competing" for being the most represented. So I guess that means that there are almost as many people from CA as there are from NY.

im definitely representing the NY contingent, but look forward to meeting the rest of you guys wherever your from

scoops418 said:
im definitely representing the NY contingent, but look forward to meeting the rest of you guys wherever your from

Anyone else get the letter indicating tuition has gone up over 1500 bucks for next year.....dang thats some loot.

OK, so I am trying to justify spending enough money to go to aecom. I really like the general location, the philosophy, the students, etc but thats some dough. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me, ie they have no money saved for school, and they are not going to receive 1 dime of support from anyone but the loan agencies. Are you guys cool with taking out THAT much money? I still shudder to think that I may go into roughly 240K in debt plus my 20K undergrad. *shudder* ....see there I go shuddering again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a lot of money, I don't know if I would really be able to rationalize it if I had other choices that didn't cost as much. The fact of the matter is that the debt is NOT permanent and it WILL end...You could also always do the primary care route where they take care of your debt--have you thought about that?

the1111gal said:
Its a lot of money, I don't know if I would really be able to rationalize it if I had other choices that didn't cost as much. The fact of the matter is that the debt is NOT permanent and it WILL end...You could also always do the primary care route where they take care of your debt--have you thought about that?

THanks for the input. I have considered the primary care money, but I am not 100% sure that is what I want to do. The last thing I want is to be indebted to a position which I do not want. And they charge substantial penalties if you opt out. Therefore, I don't feel that it would be prudent to commit at this stage.

I also just spoke to a friend and he told me that the consolidation laws are changing (he's starting residency next year). He said that at least at his school, after 2006, when you consolidate you can no longer get a fixed rate. That could result in 10s of thousands of additional debt over the life of the repayment (if not more).

Did anyone get a financial aid package yet? I got a letter from the fin aid office that was just a memo saying the cost of tuition, but no financial aid infromation. Anyone esle only get this? I'm starting to worry...

Uegis said:
Did anyone get a financial aid package yet? I got a letter from the fin aid office that was just a memo saying the cost of tuition, but no financial aid infromation. Anyone esle only get this? I'm starting to worry...

I think everyone got the cost of tuition memo.

I was checking out the academic calendar-
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/home/admissions/important_dates.htm

and was wondering if anyone knew what the "Prep Course in Medical Genetics, Immunology & Biochemistry" is and if its for all entering students? Its from August 1-12; orientation starts August 15. :D

Oh, Lloyd Greenberg from the financial aid office said my package was sent so I was expecting it. I just thought I didn't get any loans frm anyone. Thanks for heads up. When are we getting the package? May 15th approaching quickly.

Uegis said:
Oh, Lloyd Greenberg from the financial aid office said my package was sent so I was expecting it. I just thought I didn't get any loans frm anyone. Thanks for heads up. When are we getting the package? May 15th approaching quickly.

It sure is. Did you have to send your parents 2004 tax return? Mine are filing an extension so I dont know when the hell Ill get their stuff. I sent him 2003 form, then asked via email if that form was ok. He said wait to send 2004 (before he knew there was an extension). But there is no way theyll be done before may 15......is anyone else in this boat??

sunsweet said:

and was wondering if anyone knew what the "Prep Course in Medical Genetics, Immunology & Biochemistry" is and if its for all entering students? Its from August 1-12; orientation starts August 15. :D

same question here... does anybody know the answer to this? :confused:

I spoke to my Aunt Alberta about the course...She actually took it last year. She said:

It gave me the
opportunity to get comfortable with Einstein, and get settled in and to explore
NYC. And it does help a little bit for the real courses, and you dont have to
study very much. Plus, you get to meet 50 of your classmates and that was
really nice. There are also orientation activities planned so you have a good
time, you meet a lot of people, and study a little (very little) :)

A lot of people who didnt take it said that they preferred to spend there last
time before med school traveling or chilling at home.

Am I happy I took it, and would i have taken it again? Yup.
And I think that was the consensus for most people.

the1111gal said:
I spoke to my Aunt Alberta about the course...She actually took it last year. She said:

It gave me the
opportunity to get comfortable with Einstein, and get settled in and to explore
NYC. And it does help a little bit for the real courses, and you dont have to
study very much. Plus, you get to meet 50 of your classmates and that was
really nice. There are also orientation activities planned so you have a good
time, you meet a lot of people, and study a little (very little) :)

A lot of people who didnt take it said that they preferred to spend there last
time before med school traveling or chilling at home.

Am I happy I took it, and would i have taken it again? Yup.
And I think that was the consensus for most people.
thanks! so I'm assuming its optional but open to all incoming students?

sunsweet said:
thanks! so I'm assuming its optional but open to all incoming students?

That is what I'm told by an MS II buddy of mine. He did it and said it was alright. You learn a little and don't really have to study or anything, but if you have other summer plans, he said go for those because you'll be learning for a long time. If I go and can move there in time, I think Ill take part anyway though.

I'd like to do the parts that are for biochem but skip the other 2 parts ;) But that's just me and I dunno if that's allowed lol

the1111gal said:
I'd like to do the parts that are for biochem but skip the other 2 parts ;) But that's just me and I dunno if that's allowed lol

They may frown upon that.....but then again they may not notice (big lecture hall).

So uh....does this mean you have made your decision to go here?? If so, what put you over the top (I'm trying to decide still).

Hey all,

Anyone know the best way to get to AECOM from the NJ turnpike? I got the directions off the website and mapquested it and they're kind of different. Hope to see some of you guys later today (unless I got lost and end up wandering around the bronx)! :laugh:

i had no idea aecom was planning to hike up the tuition even more. considering, im not going to be receiving any scholarship money, stony brook is starting to look a bit more appealing...

Anyone interview after January 20th and got a straight up acceptance?

thanks.

Anyone hear anything about the research and service scholarship? Good luck with the decisions

scotchtape said:
Anyone interview after January 20th and got a straight up acceptance?

thanks.

i got an acceptance from a 1/19 interview... not after the 20th, but close.

It's starting to look like four more years in Virginia for me...why can't $200,000 fall into my pocket right now?

1. Most med schools increase tuition every year, so I don't know why you guys didn't expect at least some sort of tuition hike
2. Prettyinpink, look on the bright side, you're going to be a doc in 4 years!! AAAAAH!! :) Though I can understand where you're coming from ;)

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but has anyone receive a financial aid package yet? I turned in my CSS and FAFSA a while back already.

And if any of my future AECOMers can offer some advice, that will be appreciated. Rochester just offered me a 26k/yr scholarship, which seemed like an offer I can't refuse. But I had my heart set on AECOM and wanted to live in NYC. I think AECOM aid is capped so I wouldn't expect them to give me much. What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Uegis said:
Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but has anyone receive a financial aid package yet? I turned in my CSS and FAFSA a while back already.

And if any of my future AECOMers can offer some advice, that will be appreciated. Rochester just offered me a 26k/yr scholarship, which seemed like an offer I can't refuse. But I had my heart set on AECOM and wanted to live in NYC. I think AECOM aid is capped so I wouldn't expect them to give me much. What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Its a tough call. How much is rochester? I am in a somewhat similar situation with the option of going to the 8th least expensive medical school in the nation (10K tuition is basically like a huge scholarship), but it is in an area in which I am not likely to be happy over the next 4 years. Furthermore, I have a lot of relationships with people in nyc, so essentially it comes down to cost vs location. It is difficult to turn down having little or no loans and instead knowing you will borrow in all likelihood greater than 200K, but you have to think about your future. Also, depending on where you want to do residency different schools have different reps, and that is something to look at. I was pretty impressed with einstein's match, so I am pretty sure (for today at least) I am strongly leaning toward owing a buttload to be where I want to be. Good luck, its a really tough call.

Hi,

My mailing address is just outside of Boston. I got my financial aid letter yesterday. It basically detailed how much "scholarship" I was getting (a few thousand, but that's better than nothing!), how much Einstein loan they could offer me (with interest rate of 7%...which is comparably huge at this point compared to other interest rates now) and that was it. I didn't read it carefully enough and all the details are at home (I'm at work right now). I remember a short sentence about having to apply for Federal loans.. and I got very confused by that because I had already turned in my FAFSA in February and I thought that Einstein would at least be able to say how much I will be getting in Direct or Stafford loans. So yes, very very confused right now. I will have alook at it again once I get home since I didn't read it so carefully the first time around. Did anyone else get a letter who can clear up this confusion?

Thanks!

sunsweet said:

To answer my own quesion :D , the prep course is for all incoming students and is optional. There is an exam at the end but it doesn't count for anything (just for your own feedback I guess). Of the students I talked to, some said that it helped them to get back into studying, etc since they had been away from school before coming to AECOM; others said it helped them refresh on these subjects; other said the subjects were pointless but it was a really good experience because it was more of a social/get to know your classmates sort of thing. So I guess the experience was different depending on the student, but they all seemed to enjoy it/find it useful in some way. So, I would recommend going! (unless of course you have other plans, in which case I guess it isn't that big a deal)

Overall, my experience at Revisit was very positive. All the students I met were definitely happy/excited to be there. They also raved about the clinical experiences; they have a Intro to Clinical Medicine course first year where they have case conferences (to relate basic sciences to relevant clinical cases), as well as a preceptorship where each students gets matched with a physician (except EM, where there are 2 students/physician). Students get matched into 1st or 2nd choice specialties, and they all seem to have good experiences. Basically they tell you to go in w/a patient and interview them (no physical exams). It seems like a really good experience and a big help towards 3rd year.

hmmm, what else can I tell you...oh, students go down to manhattan relatively frequently/easily; there is a bus right in front of the housing (speaking of housing, I'll tell you about that too!) which takes you to the subway in 5-10 minutes. There is also an Express Manhattan bus on which you can get to Manhattan in ~40 min. Going to Manhattan on the subway is ok, but most people didn't recommend coming back to AECOM on the subway. You can get a cab back for ~$40, which isn't so bad if there's 4 people-only $10/person. The area around AECOM was nice too (and it was a beautiful day which made it seem really nice). I think if you go 5 blocks in one direction it gets bad (?). but they have nice italian restaurants in the area, I was told. There is a pathmark nearby for groceries...not much to do in the area. The area around the medical school is pretty safe.

Housing! It was great! All the apartments-2 bdrms, 3 bdrms, or studio were all very spacious and low rent. I think its like 275 for 3 bdrm, 330 for 2, and 480 for studio. If you want a studio, you have to put yourself on the waitlist; unless you're mstp, in which case you're guaranteed a studio. Also each of the three apt buildings have 2 penthouses on the top (28th) floor - so 6 total. They were beautiful! Its 3 bdrms on two floors and there is a balcony from where you can get a beautiful view of the city. The penthouses are handed down, so you have to become best buddies with someone thats moving out to get it.

I'm probably leaving a lot of other stuff out, but thats all I can remember for now! feel free to ask q's!

Does anyone have any info on having your car on campus? I was under the impression that there were more than enough spaces to go around, but when I emailed my uncle albert and asked him about it, he told me they were doing construction next year on the deck and it won't be easy to get a spot as in previous years. I asked him for more info but haven't heard back yet.

My impressions with the revisit were the same as sunsweet's. Overall, I LOVED the chemistry the students seemed to have with each other. Granted, only a small portion of the first and second year class was represented, but it just seemd to be a place filled with friendly, outgoing people. :love:

Here's the Tuition Memo

....adjustment of tuition and fees for academic year 2005-2006 as follows:

Tuition increases from 35,925 to 37,550
Fee for Year I and II increases from 2,150 to 2,250
Fee for Years III and IV increase from 1,200 to 1,300

It also had the budget--total for single first year student 54,100

the1111gal said:
Did you find out when we get the info about housing? :)
they didnt say when, but whenever we do get it, you should send it back asap. sometimes, if they run out of space, you may get stuck in a studio w/someone else for about a month before you can move into your own apt's - I think this is because sometimes the 4th yrs are a little slow in moving out.

HrsNJ said:
Does anyone have any info on having your car on campus? I was under the impression that there were more than enough spaces to go around, but when I emailed my uncle albert and asked him about it, he told me they were doing construction next year on the deck and it won't be easy to get a spot as in previous years. I asked him for more info but haven't heard back yet.

My impressions with the revisit were the same as sunsweet's. Overall, I LOVED the chemistry the students seemed to have with each other. Granted, only a small portion of the first and second year class was represented, but it just seemd to be a place filled with friendly, outgoing people. :love:
I was under the impression that there were plenty of spots too, but they did tell us about the construction to increase space. thats a good question, I guess it could be true...

This I found on the AECOM website:

StudentAffairs
Summer Preparatory Program
On the basis of their undergraduate academic record, some students accepted to the first year class are invited to attend a summer preparatory program scheduled during a two-week period preceding classes. Participants are given accommodations at no cost in the Einstein housing complex. The program includes an introduction to biochemistry, medical genetics and immunology and is presented through lectures, laboratory sessions, conferences and tutorials.

the1111gal said:
This I found on the AECOM website:

StudentAffairs
Summer Preparatory Program
On the basis of their undergraduate academic record, some students accepted to the first year class are invited to attend a summer preparatory program scheduled during a two-week period preceding classes. Participants are given accommodations at no cost in the Einstein housing complex. The program includes an introduction to biochemistry, medical genetics and immunology and is presented through lectures, laboratory sessions, conferences and tutorials.

i can't figure out if i want to do it or not - the social factor sounds like a plus, but at the same time, i want to maximize my summer time outside of school! :confused:

myodana said:
i can't figure out if i want to do it or not - the social factor sounds like a plus, but at the same time, i want to maximize my summer time outside of school! :confused:

Sounds interesting for sure, I guess it all depends on the timing. With that said, does anyone know when the earliest we could move into housing would be? If I attend, I need to plan a cross country move with my gf (I'm sure many of you are in my boat), and I want to start researching different cost options but it depends on the timing I'm guessing. I also want to know exactly how long I can work for before I must quit.

On another note, I got the financial aid yesterday and it said I will apply for the 8500 in sub stafford and 10000 in unsub stafford. Then when I get registered, I can apply for more unsub loans. I was confused by the wording. It didn't say that I could apply for the remainder of the unsub stafford after registration. Does anyone know if there is any chance one would not be able to get the full unsub stafford loans? Thanks.

Hey I have a very general question. I sent out the FAFSA forms AECOM sent us a few weeks ago for Title IV funding and just found out they were processed online. Now are they going to send that information directly to AECOM, who will send me supplemental information or do I have to do something else through FAFSA?

thanks for your help 111girl. Now to figure out about all of these health exams :barf: