Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if south sent out waitlist notification letters after the initial emails?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if south sent out waitlist notification letters after the initial emails?

What do you mean? Are you saying someone intially rejected got placed on the waitlist later or did they just receive notification later by weren't rejected? Where are you hearing this from?

What do you mean? Are you saying someone intially rejected got placed on the waitlist later or did they just receive notification later by weren't rejected? Where are you hearing this from?

I was just wondering if they sent official letters through snail mail like UAB did after the waitlist email

Members don't see this ad :)
So after my re-review the adcom decided to offer me an acceptance. Dean Smith handed me my acceptance letter. I am in absolute shock since I had no idea that this was coming. I am on Birmingham campus through clinical years. I need a beer.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I spent 4 years working towards this moment and if I can do it so can you. If you don't get in meet with Dean Smith and do everything in your power to comply with his recommendations. If anyone has questions I am always available.

So after my re-review the adcom decided to offer me an acceptance. Dean Smith handed me my acceptance letter. I am in absolute shock since I had no idea that this was coming. I am on Birmingham campus through clinical years. I need a beer.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I spent 4 years working towards this moment and if I can do it so can you. If you don't get in meet with Dean Smith and do everything in your power to comply with his recommendations. If anyone has questions I am always available.

Talk about a roller coaster ride! Congrats man!

VanBrown, that's so awesome!! Congrats! I still can't believe it. I keep thinking I'm going to get another email telling me, "Oops, didn't mean to offer you an acceptance." Or I'll be told at the end of the summer I didn't take the right english or math class or something, haha.

Oh, btw, I'm Bham campus too! Woo hoo!

AWESOME!!!! Getting accepted is a big relief for all of us, but I think yours is a special circumstance. Wow. Getting your acceptance in person. Must have been great. Drink all the beers (in the world).

Congrats!

Huge ups VB!!

I guess the question now is UAB all the way through the waitlist that they're pulling people they initially rejected in order to fill all the spots?

Well I wasn't ever rejected. I was on the lower tier before my review and was accepted afterwards.

As for the other folks in B'ham that were accepted I think we need to get together. Send me a PM and we can get an email list together.

I am still in shock a bit. I think once I tell my mother it will really hit me. We have a big family dinner tomorrow and that is when I am going to drop the bomb on them. I can't wait.

Unbelievable!!! Legend-worthy!!! Congraulations VanBrown...you deserve it!

Congrats VB. That's so awesome!!!!! You totally deserve it!!!!

So are they really pulling from the bottom tier already or VB is just a special case?

Members don't see this ad :)
VanBrown, that's so awesome!! Congrats! I still can't believe it. I keep thinking I'm going to get another email telling me, "Oops, didn't mean to offer you an acceptance." Or I'll be told at the end of the summer I didn't take the right english or math class or something, haha.

Oh, btw, I'm Bham campus too! Woo hoo!

I know right I keep thinking they somehow messed up my name with someone else's!! I had to doulbe check my pre-req. as well :smuggrin:

Congrats VB. That's so awesome!!!!! You totally deserve it!!!!

So are they really pulling from the bottom tier already or VB is just a special case?

Dr. Smith told me that after my review I scored in the upper tier. He just waited until the meeting to tell me so he could do it in person.

I am not certain on how many people are on the wait list or how many will continue to come off but I do know that while I was there they accepted two other people from the waitlist so it is moving pretty quickly right now.

I know of a University of Texas grad from Mobile who has been accepted from the UAB waiting list. I do not know what tier he was in, but I think he was just notified.

VB did you ever hear from Tulane?

Not yet but I did email Dean Beckman an update. She requested that I do that soon after I found out I was in the acceptance range but I think Tulane waits until after May 15th and then just re-reviews files and accepts from those so I am not surprised that I haven't heard. I expect a letter within a week or so though.

That's awesome VanBrown!!!!!!!!!! I knew something was up when you got placed in the lower tier. Did he tell you what happened for you to be placed in the third tier to begin with??

Anyway, EXCITEMENT! I'm so glad everyone is getting in and I'm definitely up for a beer (always up for a beer :D).

Can't wait to meet all of you!

Yo Genipa, PM me your contact info.. I am trying to get a list together of the SDN, Bham folks.

As for why I was on the lower tier... I honestly think it was just a placer position until they reviewed my file again.

The Hops have been Freed!!!!

Gov Riley signed the bill today! 13.9% beers here we come!

www.freethehops.org

Next stop: getting rid of the 16oz container law!

I don't know if you guys are interested in this.. but I thought it was cool as ****e.

One of my buddies is doing his surgery block right now and he said that there was a hemicorporectomy done at UAB the other day. If you don't know what that is (like I didn't) then google it. It is unreal!

I don't know if you guys are interested in this.. but I thought it was cool as ****e.

One of my buddies is doing his surgery block right now and he said that there was a hemicorporectomy done at UAB the other day. If you don't know what that is (like I didn't) then google it. It is unreal!

Jesus. I had never heard of that procedure, but the roots "hemi" and "corp" gave me a good indication of what was in store.

I hope they hook up the unfortunate patient with a good pair of robo-legs.

Does it seem strange to anyone else that there has been no news from South? It seems like many people here have dropped their acceptances, I wonder what they are waiting on, I need some good news heading into the holiday weekend.

You beat me to the board with the good news!

The signing of this bill will undoubtedly help the first year of school go down a little bit smoother. Cheers to everyone!

Do you guys know when the good beers are going to start being sold????

Do you guys know when the good beers are going to start being sold????

The ABC board has to approve any beer sold in Alabama. Apparently they won't meet again until next Tuesday, so it will be at least a week or so. A few places in Birmingham (such as Vulcan Beverage) already have >6% stuff in stock--they just have to wait for the paperwork to clear with ABC. Local bars will likely start selling around the same time, and FtH has confirmed that there will be previously-illegal beers at the Magic City Brewfest in early June.

Major craft breweries such as Rogue and Sweetwater will start shipping their >6% products immediately, but there will probably be significant lag with some of the smaller breweries from up north and out west.

Does it seem strange to anyone else that there has been no news from South? It seems like many people here have dropped their acceptances, I wonder what they are waiting on, I need some good news heading into the holiday weekend.
it does seem pretty weird....UAB is already in the middle third yet south hasn't made a peep

My faith in South's ability to efficiently run an admissions office has certainly disappeared this cycle. They seem to be incredibly under-staffed and so very slow. Oh well. Anyway, I was glancing through the UAB student bios early today and there were more than 250 people on there. They must not have removed the people who have withdrawn.

for UASOM, what else do we have to do for financial aid besides FAFSA? Is there some kind of packet somewhere that we need to fill out?

for UASOM, what else do we have to do for financial aid besides FAFSA? Is there some kind of packet somewhere that we need to fill out?

That's all you need to start out with. If you need anything else, it will show up on Blazernet. Most likely, you will also need to fill out a title IV form and a resource information sheet, but you don't need to do anything unless it tells you to do so on Blazernet (I believe).

For those accepted from the waitlist, has anybody's financial aid award shown up on Blazernet yet? I was just curious how long it takes. Also, has anyone from the waitlist gotten their offical letter of acceptance in the mail? I know during the regular part of the cycle (October-March) official letters aren't sent out but once a month, but I imagine they are sent out a little more frequently between March-June. For those who have gotten their letters, what all is included in the packet?

Van Brown, How did your family take the news?

They were pretty stoked. We tend to be a fairly eve-keel group but it was cool to see them get all excited.

Now on to financial aid. FAFSA, here I come!

As of today Im pretty sure south hasn't sent an acceptance to a single wait liated applicant... they are painfully slow... however, their wait list is considerably smaller than any other school. So if you're on it you should still feel pretty good about your chances. Mark Scott told me today that the admissions cycle was far from over for them.

As of today Im pretty sure south hasn't sent an acceptance to a single wait liated applicant... they are painfully slow... however, their wait list is considerably smaller than any other school. So if you're on it you should still feel pretty good about your chances. Mark Scott told me today that the admissions cycle was far from over for them.

I appreciate your post, I just wonder why it is taking so long for their waitlist to start moving.

This board is eerily quiet...did a bunch of people get off the USA waitlist and are out celebrating?

No, but I know a guy who did.

do you by any chance know how he was notified?

I called south today and the secretary said they were going to start sending out some acceptances next week...not really sure what the deal is since I couldn't get a hold of Mr. Scott

Last edited:
So have the people with acceptances to USA, have you guys got your scholarship info yet? Also, budregigar767 what is your status? I think last time you said you were waiting on the scholarship info before deciding on South or UAB

Sorry for the super late reply, haven´t been checking this board much at all since I am traveling.

Just got on to congratulate VanBrown though...definitely sounded like you deserved it so I was pulling for you. Cheers!

Also, woot for getting my Dogfish Head Raison D´être, Victory Brewing, and other wonderful beers without interruption! Huzzah for the triumph of reason. I would have been doubly sad moving to Mobile had this not passed since I love Belgians and other such beers when drinking beer.

Hi, I've been a SDN reader for some time now, but I've never posted before. I have a big decision to make and I wanted to hear feedback from my peers.

Anyway, here's the question:

If you just got off the waitlist for a top ten ranked school, would you go? I was super excited about going to UASOM and saving tons of money. Obviously this other school would be a lot more expensive. In terms of debt, the difference is taking out maybe 60K-80K in loans over four years (if I go to UASOM, and depending if I live with family or on my own) vs. about 140K for four years for the other school.I also know that rankings depend on numerous factors, and that UASOM is a kick-ass med school.

So, to cut the rambling down, I only have a few days to decide. Your feedback is appreciated! I'd particularly love to hear from others who turned down one of those "big name schools" for UASOM and what led them to that decision.

Go wherever you feel the most comfortable. Most top-10 schools give pretty good financial aid packages so you might want to wait to see what the money looks like.

So, to cut the rambling down, I only have a few days to decide. Your feedback is appreciated! I'd particularly love to hear from others who turned down one of those "big name schools" for UASOM and what led them to that decision.

Congratulations! Any top ten school? I wouldn't choose a school over UASOM simply because it's arbitrarily ranked in the top ten. Which school is it?

It doesn't really matter, because as Van Brown said, it's about where you're most comfortable. He's also right about the financial aid thing. The bottom line is that you just have to do what's in your best interests. Being able to attend a school like Yale, Duke, or Wash-U would be a fantastic opportunity. On the other hand, maybe you want to go right into a field like public health or family medicine where paying off the more cumbersome loan burden would be a more prolonged experience.

It's nice to have choices, especially if you're between UASOM and another good school. Good luck with the decision.

Hi, I've been a SDN reader for some time now, but I've never posted before. I have a big decision to make and I wanted to hear feedback from my peers.

Anyway, here's the question:

If you just got off the waitlist for a top ten ranked school, would you go? I was super excited about going to UASOM and saving tons of money. Obviously this other school would be a lot more expensive. In terms of debt, the difference is taking out maybe 60K-80K in loans over four years (if is a kick-ass med school.

I would say follow your heart. If you really like the top ten school then I bet you will never regret going there. On the other hand if it's all the same to you then go with the cheaper one for sure. But I bet 99.9% of harvard grads don't look back wishing they had gone to their state school instead.