Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it is decision day for a lot of people. I still haven't heard any more from UAB than, "the committee is reviewing your application" and I am set to meet with Dean Smith on Wednesday.

Hope everyone has a good one.

Have you been accepted by another school?

Members don't see this ad.

So here's what I've learned. Mr. Scott told me (I called today) that scholarship information is going to be released Monday for USA. The only penalty for not narrowing it down to one school by today is that we will no longer get our $50 deposits back. That kind of forces my hand. I have to lose the $50 in order to find out if I am getting any money.

Because

Members don't see this ad :)
Because of this, I'm going to withraw from USA on Monday or Tuesday (or not withdraw at all) depending on how much money, if any, that I receive.

What are these "scholarship" things you guys keep talking about?

I'll bite. USA and UAB both have a bunch of part, half, and full scholarships that they offer incoming freshmen, usually renewable for four years. USA did not have an application for the scholarships, everyone accepted is automatically considered. Apparently they will be given out monday. UAB had a small application for theirs but I think they were pretty hard to get anyway.

I'll bite. USA and UAB both have a bunch of part, half, and full scholarships that they offer incoming freshmen, usually renewable for four years. USA did not have an application for the scholarships, everyone accepted is automatically considered. Apparently they will be given out monday. UAB had a small application for theirs but I think they were pretty hard to get anyway.

Thanks for biting anyway. My question was, as you probably suspected, in jest. Seriously, though, it's pretty disconcerting to look at the total cost of attendance and realizing that we're talking public school here.

Good luck to those of you with scholarship hopes. Maybe I'll join the Air Force next year or something.

One more thing--and I'm sorry to be off-topic.

If you are so inclined, all you future UASOM/USACOM medical students need to call/fax/email Governor Riley as soon as humanly possible and voice your support for HB373, the Gourmet Beer Bill. If you're not familiar, check out the latest Free the Hops blogs at http://www.freethehops.org/blog/. After years of sabotage and filibustering by some fundamentalist state lawmakers, the bill has finally passed both the senate and the house. If the governor signs it this week, it becomes law. When that happens, I can promise endless post-exam fun at The J. Clyde in Birmingham in the fall!

Governor Riley's contact info:

Switchboard: (334) 242-7100
Fax: (334) 353-0004
Email form: http://www.governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx

One more thing--and I'm sorry to be off-topic.

If you are so inclined, all you future UASOM/USACOM medical students need to call/fax/email Governor Riley as soon as humanly possible and voice your support for HB373, the Gourmet Beer Bill. If you're not familiar, check out the latest Free the Hops blogs at http://www.freethehops.org/blog/. After years of sabotage and filibustering by some fundamentalist state lawmakers, the bill has finally passed both the senate and the house. If the governor signs it this week, it becomes law. When that happens, I can promise endless post-exam fun at The J. Clyde in Birmingham in the fall!

Governor Riley's contact info:

Switchboard: (334) 242-7100
Fax: (334) 353-0004
Email form: http://www.governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx

Done!!:D Do you know when he is supposed to sign or veto? I am so excited about the possibility of some Chimay on tap in Alabama!!!!

Done!!:D Do you know when he is supposed to sign or veto? I am so excited about the possibility of some Chimay on tap in Alabama!!!!

There are only 6 days left in the legislative session, so he'll either sign it or let it die. Next Thursday is D-Day. According to the feedback on the FTH community board, the response on the governor's switchboard has overwhelmed the staff.

Amen on the Chimay. As many imports as I am excited to eventually see around, though, I'm almost more excited about finally having access to the craftbrews produced in the US. I've heard a lot of people saying that Oskar Blues and Dogfish Head are already making plans to ship their products to Alabama.

So if the scholarship information isn't going out until next week, can we assume that there won't be much more waitlist movement until then? Does anyone else find it absurd that scholarship info doesn't come out until after the May 15th deadline???

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else find it absurd that scholarship info doesn't come out until after the May 15th deadline???

Absolutely. I was told by USACOM that they started working on this in March.

5/15/09 - 5:47PM - UAB Acceptance from MIDDLE tier of the alternate list - I'll be withdrawing MY USA acceptace on Monday

Good luck to all still waiting to hear and I'll see those of you matriculating to UAB in the Fall!

Waitlist Acceptances

UAB: veejl (A: 4/23, 1st tier), LumberJack (A: 4/27, 1st tier), KennyFNPowers' friend (A: 5/4, 1st tier), chemnerd89's friend (A: 5/7, 1st tier), auburnO5's friend (A: 5/7, 1st tier), budgerigar767 (A: 5/13, 1st tier), RollTideChem (A: 5/13, 1st Tier), Angelhair (A: 5/15) 2nd tier)

USA:

I will be withdrawing from USA on Monday! Good luck everyone.

Congrats to all those accepted!

Now come on lower third....

Is it reasonable to think that everyone on the USA will be accepted this year? Seems like a lot of people on the waitlist are withdrawing and UAB is running through theirs

I got accepted as well to UASOM.

I was on the middle third, but I declined my acceptance since I'm set on USA

Anyone going to UAB looking for a rommmate? Not much action on the Facebook thread so thought I'd post here. Trying to find a nonsmoker (male or female) to split rent on a 2 bed / 2 bath that's less than a mile from campus.

So is there anyone on here that was on the middle tier and has not been accepted yet?

So is there anyone on here that was on the middle tier and has not been accepted yet?

Off my evidently non-comprehensive list I compiled, docbama's girlfriend and wiseguy1 have not been accepted. Congratulations to everyone receiving acceptances Friday! Hopefully many more people will be coming off both waitlists.

Any guesses on when USA will start moving on their alternate list?

in the application process or that got in off the waitlist...about how long did it take to receive the official letter and packet?

were you able to resolve that problem with your greenbook login...im having the same problem

Living in Chicago, IL, I received it about 2 weeks after I got my e-mail acceptance. Small envelope, just a few pages inside. Almost scary!

the bio login is what i was referring to. i dont know what the issue is. i remember lumberjack saying he was having an issue also. ive had a blazerid for some time and i just tried to get on and complete my bio and couldnt log in. i might just call them if the problem continues. was there anything in particular that came in the acceptance envelope that is any different from the info on the matriculation checklist, etc?

the bio login is what i was referring to. i dont know what the issue is. i remember lumberjack saying he was having an issue also. ive had a blazerid for some time and i just tried to get on and complete my bio and couldnt log in. i might just call them if the problem continues. was there anything in particular that came in the acceptance envelope that is any different from the info on the matriculation checklist, etc?

i have the same problem too, but I can log into my blazernet just fine.

I have the same question as well, is there anything extra in the official letter that wasn't on the matriculation checklist?

Anybody hear from the alleged scholarships going out at South today?

Anybody hear from the alleged scholarships going out at South today?
Yeah. When I called today, Mr. Scott said that they were mailed out today. I'm sure I could have found out if I got one by asking him, but I didn't consider that until after the fact.

Yeah. When I called today, Mr. Scott said that they were mailed out today. I'm sure I could have found out if I got one by asking him, but I didn't consider that until after the fact.

Ahh snail mail. I was checking the PAWS system just to see, but nothing yet.

i have the same problem too, but I can log into my blazernet just fine.

I have the same question as well, is there anything extra in the official letter that wasn't on the matriculation checklist?

Not really.
- Mine told me which schools specifically they wanted transcripts from (I attended 5 schools during undergrad, they only wanted 2).
- Need to return a signed copy of the official acceptance of offer of admission paper

Yeah, I initially had some issues with the Greenbook. After contacting the MEIS helpdesk about the login problem, they told me that for some reason my BlazerID had not been associated with my school of medicine profile. After they made the necessary fix, I was able to gain access.

I got accepted to UAB today!!! Middle tier.

I didn't know that they accept students or withdraw from wait list on May. It is really late in the cycle.

Also, I am a Tennessee resident but I would really love to go to UAB. I have 31 MCAT and 3.9 total GPA and average EC's. Do you think I have any chances as a OOS? I do have some connections to the state.

I didn't know that they accept students or withdraw from wait list on May. It is really late in the cycle.

Huh? I was accepted today after being placed on the alternate list back in March.

, I am a Tennessee resident but I would really love to go to UAB. I have 31 MCAT and 3.9 total GPA and average EC's. Do you think I have any chances as a OOS? I do have some connections to the state.

GPA looks great. I would imagine your MCAT needs to be a little higher if you are OOS, though. I have no hard-defined data, but I would imagine you would need around a 33+/3.8+ to be competitive as an OOS.

GPA looks great. I would imagine your MCAT needs to be a little higher if you are OOS, though. I have no hard-defined data, but I would imagine you would need around a 33+/3.8+ to be competitive as an OOS.

I had a 31 MCAT as OOS. Undergrad GPA was 3.58, graduate was 3.8. I'm accepted :) So it really depends on the whole picture.

I had a 31 MCAT as OOS. Undergrad GPA was 3.58, graduate was 3.8. I'm accepted :) So it really depends on the whole picture.

Thanks for the post. It gives me hope that I have a good chance at getting accepted. Do you have any tips during interviews at Alabama?

Thanks for the post. It gives me hope that I have a good chance at getting accepted. Do you have any tips during interviews at Alabama?

Talk with a thick southern accent.

In all seriousness, there is some interview feedback thing on this website that is good to review before you interview at any school. The interviews are laid back, just re-read your application before the interview, and be yourself.

With Wiseguy1 getting in, that only leaves docbama's girlfriend the only middle tier that hasn't gotten in? Hopefully she did and he is just busy since I haven't seen him on here lately updating the acceptance list.

congrats to Wiseguy!

I have my post-re-review meeting with Dr. Smith today so hopefully I hear something encouraging from him.

Also, bump.

I'm too lazy to fish for it, but does anyone know offhand the timeframe when waitlisters at South were accepted during the last cycle?