Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!!!! I've been waiting for you to get the call:D Can't wait to meet you:highfive::clap:

I got the acceptance call today!!!!!!! :) interview 2/14 and was on the waitlist!!!! I'm so thankful for the opportunity!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the acceptance call today!!!!!!! :) interview 2/14 and was on the waitlist!!!! I'm so thankful for the opportunity!!!!

:thumbup: Congrats! You definitely deserve it! Now, relax and enjoy the next few months:cool:... I can't wait to meet you.

Thanks can't wait to meet you and everyone else as well...

awesome!!!! now find a place to live and see you soon!:):):):):)

Sounds like there's been some decent waitlist movement already. Should there still be some major movement around that May 15th date everyone usually talks about? Still hoping for the best.

Yes, there will be movement around May 15th due to the AAMC requirement to drop down to one acceptance at that point. Students who have ACOM acceptances will make it in to UAB or South Alabama or other schools where they are currently waitlisted. It's sort of a trickle down effect. And that will open more seats at ACOM. There may be a lull in waitlist movement before May 15th though. Don't worry too much about it.

My husband just got accepted off the waitlist. :) Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I want to start a student advocates association for the spouses/significant others who are coming to Dothan with you guys. If your spouse/significant other is interested, message me. We can support each other and the medical student in our lives. Most osteopathic schools have a student advocate association. Here's the main organization: http://www.advocates4dos.org/ Here's an example: http://tcomsaa.webs.com/about-us (the TCOM version). I'll start a facebook group if any other spouses/significant others want to join me in getting this together if there isn't one already. :)

Did anyone who's gotten in off the waitlist write a letter of intent? Would it be silly to do so at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
It wouldn't be silly to write a letter of intent. Movement can be up to the first day of class. So a letter would help. Thankfully I was pulled from the waitlist right before I sent mine. Best of luck!!!

So maybe a dumb question but what exactly is a letter of intent? What all goes into it?

I want to start a student advocates association for the spouses/significant others who are coming to Dothan with you guys. If your spouse/significant other is interested, message me. We can support each other and the medical student in our lives. Most osteopathic schools have a student advocate association. Here's the main organization: http://www.advocates4dos.org/ Here's an example: http://tcomsaa.webs.com/about-us (the TCOM version). I'll start a facebook group if any other spouses/significant others want to join me in getting this together if there isn't one already. :)

Great idea and thank you!

Last edited:
So maybe a dumb question but what exactly is a letter of intent? What all goes into it?

google and ye shall find all that you seek. Or search the forums and your answer will present itself. ;)

Anyone who has recently been accepted, know if the class is full by now or if there are spots still available.

You could probably email Dr Reynolds and he could tell you if there are still spots available

Hey does anyone know the wait time between a supplemental application and interviews. Also, do medical schools prefer science majors or biomedical engineers?

Hey does anyone know the wait time between a supplemental application and interviews. Also, do medical schools prefer science majors or biomedical engineers?

Depends. Wait time can be very short or very long, it just depends on your stats, how the stars align, when you submitted, and other whatnots.

Med schools don't really seem to prefer a certain major. Most prefer variety so having a unique degree might help you stand out a bit. Schools know which majors are harder than others so that will play a small role. Nothing make or break though.

Did anyone ever find out how full this years class had gotten? FB group has been at 126 for a while (not exactly conclusive evidence that seats are left though)

What I have noticed in the past couple of weeks is that someone will get added to the Facebook group and then two days later the number will drop down again. I never asked on whether the class was full figured they were to busy with moving the first couple weeks of this month. Would love to see if someone asked though.

So talked to Dr. Reynolds and he said there's "technically a few spots available". I don't think fb group is accurate now.

Did you email him? How long did it take him to respond? Still Waiting to hear back from him.

Approximately 5 minutes... And then I asked if he could let me know where I was on the waitlist (bottom or top). Still no reply....

We were told at the interview that we would be ranked but it would not be divulged to students. But you get points for trying :)

I was hoping they'd let just a tidbit of information slip lol. No such luck

I think anyone on the wait list who wants to enroll in this school was hoping for that as well but no such luck. Back to the waiting game.

Do you guys know if school is still interviewing or sending out interview offers?

Do you guys know if school is still interviewing or sending out interview offers?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I really, really doubt it. There's already a decently-sized waitlist from what I've gathered and some medical schools have started or are starting classes soon. The interview cycle for the next year is starting up soon as well. I would make plans to re-apply if you haven't heard anything back.

Has anyone heard if there has been any movement on the waitlist the last couple of weeks?

I was wondering how the city of Dothan is?

What are your thoughts on some of the pros/cons?

I was wondering how the city of Dothan is?

What are your thoughts on some of the pros/cons?

I can't really give a list of pros/cons, its really more of what each person likes. Big cities have lots of crime and traffic, but typically offer more job choices, higher pay, and more entertainment options. Small towns are safer and pace of life is a little slower, but there are fewer options career wise and you might have to travel further to reach certain attractions. Having lived in a city of over 19 million down to one of around 4,000, I can say that I truly have liked them both but they are radically different with extremely different lifestyles and types of people. I can give a description of some of the things i look for while I was there though.

Its a decent sized city, around 60k people or so, and really the only major city in south east Alabama. They seem to have most of the major restaurants, a shopping mall, a theatre, concert hall, and a few golf courses. I want to say it is the 7th largest city in Alabama, but it still has a bit of a small town feel. There are few, if any freeway overpasses, but there are a few state highways that run through the town. Small enough that traffic should rarely be a problem (compared to major metropolitan areas), but large enough that you should always be able to find something to do (in the rare event that you are not studying). Cost of living seems to be pretty cheap, you can get a 3 bedroom apartment for less than what I am used to paying for a 1 bedroom!

If you are single and looking for night life, I'm not sure how that will be. Panama City beach is only an hour and a half drive from the campus, but I'm not sure how much that will matter during medical school.

There have been acceptances as of 6.04.13 from what I've heard. This isnt official so please take that into consideration.

Thanks for the update. At least we have some sort of idea that something is happening. Keeping the hope alive :/

Definitely give them a call so they know you are still interested. Students had a lot of paperwork due this week, and I bet they are dropping those that didn't sign the matriculation agreement or complete a few other key things.

I know that I had an interview on 10 Jun 2013. They still had class slots open and were considering having another interview date. They were working through their waitlist pretty fast according to one of the deans. Good Luck!

I know that I had an interview on 10 Jun 2013. They still had class slots open and were considering having another interview date. They were working through their waitlist pretty fast according to one of the deans. Good Luck!

Did they let you know when the committee was meeting? Is it still on Thursdays? Did they say about how many spots were still open. We were told in feb that they would stop interviewing in April. Seems like the end of tunnel is getting farther away for me, if this is the case. Waitlisted in march.

That is insane that they still interview in June for the 12-13 cycle.

That is insane that they still interview in June for the 12-13 cycle.
I agree, but it is helpful to me as I couldn't take the MCAT until January, and even then I took it without completing Physics 2 or Orgo 2. As a non-trad, it gives me a shot at starting a year "early".

How many people interviewed that day? This is a bit strange. No one else has posted an interview date on here that was after the second week in April, so I think we all assumed they were done a long time ago. And at the beginning of the month, they said they did not have much waitlist movement. Maybe they did not get paperwork back from a lot of people and had to start scheduling interviews again.

8 folks in my group. they said they hadn't done interviews in the last month and a half because the building was completed and everyone had been moving in. We had the "briefings" in the new building from 8:15-11 AM with interviews until noon, followed by the tour. The new staircase, by the way, was built out of code, so they had to tear the tile off and were in the middle of replacing it.

They did say that there was a reason for a bunch of drops. AACOMAS surveyed all the Osteopathic schools to see if there were any "double bookings". From the schools that voluntarily participated (according to one of the deans there) there were 550 students around the country holding 1250 slots (and that's not including MD schools). ACOM sends out mandatory paperwork required for matriculation. About 15 people were dropped because they went months with no response to contact and without filling out the paperwork. This same dean said that they expect the "standard 20%" end of year stir-up, but that those 15 folks were a start. He said they weren't finished going through their waiting list, but that they may do "1 or 2" more interview days.

I know that I am by no means the official school mouthpiece, but I just wanted to share info that I got and would have wanted if I had interviewed previous to that date.

Also, if you were interviewed before... did they give you a tour of the partially finished facilities? I would be happy to answer questions about them finished. I hope to get good news next week- they said they were speeding up the acceptance process... easy to imagine considering they are interviewing so late.

8 folks in my group. they said they hadn't done interviews in the last month and a half because the building was completed and everyone had been moving in. We had the "briefings" in the new building from 8:15-11 AM with interviews until noon, followed by the tour. The new staircase, by the way, was built out of code, so they had to tear the tile off and were in the middle of replacing it.

They did say that there was a reason for a bunch of drops. AACOMAS surveyed all the Osteopathic schools to see if there were any "double bookings". From the schools that voluntarily participated (according to one of the deans there) there were 550 students around the country holding 1250 slots (and that's not including MD schools). ACOM sends out mandatory paperwork required for matriculation. About 15 people were dropped because they went months with no response to contact and without filling out the paperwork. This same dean said that they expect the "standard 20%" end of year stir-up, but that those 15 folks were a start. He said they weren't finished going through their waiting list, but that they may do "1 or 2" more interview days.

I know that I am by no means the official school mouthpiece, but I just wanted to share info that I got and would have wanted if I had interviewed previous to that date.

Also, if you were interviewed before... did they give you a tour of the partially finished facilities? I would be happy to answer questions about them finished. I hope to get good news next week- they said they were speeding up the acceptance process... easy to imagine considering they are interviewing so late.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying 2013-2014 cycle, but I prbly won't be able to apply until mid July- also did they mention are they having all students live at the student housing? If so do you have any say so as to who your roommate is? Thanks!

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying 2013-2014 cycle, but I prbly won't be able to apply until mid July- also did they mention are they having all students live at the student housing? If so do you have any say so as to who your roommate is? Thanks!

There wasn't enough space for all students. Most people wanted a room to themselves. This led to a lot of 2/2 being rented by 1 student. You can choose your roommate or choose to have none. I originally was assigned a room there, but I decided to withdraw and live on the other side of town.

Hey guys, anyone know whats going on with wait list? I haven't heard much about it and haven't received a call yet and am getting nervous!

If you read a pg or so back looks like they are doing interviews again. I am also on the waitlist and there seems to have been movement but I have no confirmation on this. I have been on it since march and not hearing anything has not made the process easier. No calls yet either but still hopeful granted the hope is slowly dying as we get closer to the grand opening/ orientation.

I've been on the list since february so you can see where my concern is coming from. I'm trying to stay hopeful but its hard, like you said especially with the grand opening approaching fast