Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear youreapwhatyousew,

I wish to inform you that the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine is unable to make you an offer of acceptance into our program at this time.
Although your application was not deemed competitive, we would recommend additional educational experiences to strengthen your application in preparation for application to osteopathic medical schools in next year’s admissions cycle. PostBaccalaureate Programs are available in many osteopathic medical colleges and have a proven track record of successfully preparing students for the MCAT and the rigors of a medical school curriculum.
ACOM is making progress towards a PostBaccalaureate Master’s Degree in Biomedical Sciences in conjunction with Troy University. We will keep you updated on the progress of this program in hopes that you will consider using this program as a potential pipeline into ACOM.
Please contact the Dean of Students if you have additional questions about your application or the recommendations stated above.
I commend your efforts in preparation for medical school and encourage you to continue your pursuit of a career in medicine with passion, integrity and respect.
Sincerely,

Craig J. Lenz, D.O.
Dean, Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/crime_court/article_3b0b5136-3d70-11e2-8541-0019bb30f31a.html

Faaaaantastic! I feel better about being "rejected."

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 50bd01766fcb3.preview-300.jpg
    50bd01766fcb3.preview-300.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 user
Dear youreapwhatyousew,

I wish to inform you that the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine is unable to make you an offer of acceptance into our program at this time.
Although your application was not deemed competitive, we would recommend additional educational experiences to strengthen your application in preparation for application to osteopathic medical schools in next year's admissions cycle. PostBaccalaureate Programs are available in many osteopathic medical colleges and have a proven track record of successfully preparing students for the MCAT and the rigors of a medical school curriculum.
ACOM is making progress towards a PostBaccalaureate Master's Degree in Biomedical Sciences in conjunction with Troy University. We will keep you updated on the progress of this program in hopes that you will consider using this program as a potential pipeline into ACOM.
Please contact the Dean of Students if you have additional questions about your application or the recommendations stated above.
I commend your efforts in preparation for medical school and encourage you to continue your pursuit of a career in medicine with passion, integrity and respect.
Sincerely,

Craig J. Lenz, D.O.
Dean, Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/crime_court/article_3b0b5136-3d70-11e2-8541-0019bb30f31a.html

Faaaaantastic! I feel better about being "rejected."

When did you receive this? Did you interview or get wait listed?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen Him post this before in another forum so I believe he received this over some months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya there was someone on this forum that was mad about not being accepted and was stirring things up about Dr. Lenz's legal troubles. Anyone who has interviewed here pretty much already knows about it since it is one of the first things that pops up when you research the school.

When did you receive this? Did you interview or get wait listed?

He's just bitter he got rejected, and from the sound of it, it was pre-interview. Some people don't know how to deal with rejection. I got rejected outright from like 70% of the schools I applied to. If I was 5 maybe I'd whine and post all over those schools' threads, but I'd rather keep track of the 30% that didn't.

The application process almost always guarantees some rejections. Its not the first and it definitely won't be the last in life. He needs to toughen up.

He's just bitter he got rejected, and from the sound of it, it was pre-interview. Some people don't know how to deal with rejection. I got rejected outright from like 70% of the schools I applied to. If I was 5 maybe I'd whine and post all over those schools' threads, but I'd rather keep track of the 30% that didn't.

The application process almost always guarantees some rejections. Its not the first and it definitely won't be the last in life. He needs to toughen up.

Well said man who is empty.

I find the salty posters name ironic on a few different levels. Lets hope the poster in fact reaps what he sows, not sews. ;)

I find the salty posters name ironic on a few different levels. Lets hope the poster in fact reaps what he sows, not sews. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA... I was just about to point that out too. :laugh:

Really hoping they will start pulling from the wait list soon.

Really hoping they will start pulling from the wait list soon.

Has anyone tried to contact them so see if they have any idea as to when they are going to start pulling people off the wait-list? It must be quite large at this point if they added 10 people a week since February.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more like 20-22 a week...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

Has anyone tried to contact them so see if they have any idea as to when they are going to start pulling people off the wait-list? It must be quite large at this point if they added 10 people a week since February.

Long time reader, first time poster. I just got my acceptance call!!! So excited.
They told me they are filling the remaining spots with people from the wait list, and the class will be full by the end of the week.
So, if you are on the wait list like I was expect a call today or tomorrow.

Long time reader, first time poster. I just got my acceptance call!!! So excited.
They told me they are filling the remaining spots with people from the wait list, and the class will be full by the end of the week.

Congrats!

When did you interview?

Just out of curiosity, who called you and at what time? Because they would have been interviewing during the time you received your call. And I am pretty sure they wouldn't have met until after today's group around 2 or so...

In fact, Tuesday's interviewees were told that the committee would meet Thursday afternoon, and that they still had open seats that they would continue to fill with interviewees for the rest of the month.

In other words, I'm not 100% convinced that they are pulling from the wait list yet, at least not to a great extent. So the rest of you shouldn't freak out if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many spots are left?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

Just out of curiosity, who called you and at what time? Because they would have been interviewing during the time you received your call. And I am pretty sure they wouldn't have met until after today's group around 2 or so...

In fact, Tuesday's interviewees were told that the committee would meet Thursday afternoon, and that they still had open seats that they would continue to fill with interviewees for the rest of the month.

In other words, I'm not 100% convinced that they are pulling from the wait list yet, at least not to a great extent. So the rest of you shouldn't freak out if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow.

I agree, last I talk to Dr. Reynold's he told me that they were going to interview until end of April and then re-evaluate everyone and start moving off the waitlist.

Sorry I've been holding out on everyone.

Here's some valuable info I got from Dr. Reynolds after my interview February 28.

Dr. Reynolds,

I was recently wait listed from my 2/28 interview date, and I have a few questions concerning this:

1. How many people are on the wait list, and do you expect a fair amount of them to be pulled off it?
We cannot publish the number on the waitlist. Sorry

2. Are there still spots left to be filled out of the 162 spots for the initial class?
There are still many slots left to fill. We will continue to interview through April. The waitlist allows us to pace ourselves to give everyone interviewing a fair chance.

3. How are students selected from the wait list? (i.e. ranking?)
Students that are still on the waitlist at the end of the interview process will be ranked. However, we do not publish this ranking system. The reason is that it will just create more anxiety. For instance, if we tell you that you are number 25 on the waitlist, you may actually be number 5 if 20 students have already accepted a spot somewhere else. So you can see how this might create quite a bit of mayhem.

4. When will students start being pulled from the wait list?
We have already revisited the waitlist for several students and will continue to do so on a weekly basis.

5. How long will students be placed on the wait list before being out right rejected?
We will not send "rejections" until we see that 162 students show up for orientation. There is always the possibility that if someone does not show up, we may hit the waitlist for a short-notice acceptance.

And is there anything I can do besides updating my Aacomas to increase my competitiveness?, it says to be sure to contact ACOM with any updates to Aacomas, I was wondering if I should contact you or Linda with every update?

You can email any updates to us directly to add to your file. The only AACOMAS updates that you should worry about are new grades or MCAT scores since they verify this information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I've been holding out on everyone.

Here's some valuable info I got from...

I really don't think its in your best interest to post your full name and school email address on a public forum. If I were you I'd edit your post to remove your name, the date of the email, and your school email address. This is a public forum and anonymity is usually in your best interest.

I really don't think its in your best interest to post your full name and school email address on a public forum. If I were you I'd edit your post to remove your name, the date of the email, and your school email address. This is a public forum and anonymity is usually in your best interest.

Thanks good idea

Did anyone else end up hearing anything this week? I know Tuesday's interviewees were told that the committee would meet on Thursday, and that they would get calls/emails on Monday or Tuesday. But I know a lot of people got calls on Thursdays and Fridays earlier in the cycle, so I was curious. Anyone?

I can confirm that they are indeed moving through the waitlist. I got called today and was accepted!

However I had already accepted a seat at another school so I informed Dr. Reynolds that I will be declining the invitation. Hope one of y'all gets it!

Stay patient! Things are moving!

Yes, I interviewed March 28th. I got called at 9:09 AM by Dr. Reynolds, and I got in!!!!

Congratulations, you guys! Anything from April interviews yet?

My husband interviewed on the 9th, and they told him that they would hear something today or tomorrow. He refuses to look at SDN at all, so I have been following this thread on his behalf. And now I am starting to panic. I really want him to get into ACOM so I can go home (Alabama). :laugh: I will be applying next year. Looks like an early application is pretty important here.

Hi all, Sorry it this is a little bit off topic. I just want to know what is my chance for getting medical school next year. I would really like to go to ACOM, seems like a pretty solid school.
I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.65 Sci and 3.7 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

Hi all, Sorry it this is a little bit off topic. I just want to know what is my chance for getting medical school next year. I would really like to go to ACOM, seems like a pretty solid school.
I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.65 Sci and 3.7 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

You should probably be less explicit on anonymous forums like SDN, especially after ACOM already having rescinded an acceptance for poor behavior on here (not that I see anything wrong with it or anything you said here)... just be cautious.
Additionally, most DO schools have friendly admissions offices that if you send in all this in CV/resume format they will offer you first hand advice, suggestions and feedback. That in the end is more helpful than anybodies opinions on these forums

Interviewed on 4/11. Got my wait list notification today 4/16. This late in the cycle that feels like a victory to me. Satisfied that it didn't take the full 2 weeks for notification.

My husband got a waitlist notification as well. I hope he doesn't have to wait too long.

It looks like the two who just posted about acceptances are Alabama residents. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe they are still trying to meet the Alabama quota, which I support wholeheartedly knowing the medical situation in Alabama all too well.

I don't believe there is a quota. But as a school you would want weigh the chances that someone you admit, will actually attend. Geography definitely plays a role.

Someone posted on here a while back that they were trying to have 50 Alabamians in the class. I'm not sure of the validity of that information though. But maybe it will help me out when I apply next year, so I won't complain at all. :)

Ensuring a competitive inaugural class to set the bar high is probably the highest priority for now.

Liam, I hope you are right about this too. Both my husband and I have 30+ on the MCAT. So maybe they will pull from the waitlist to increase their MCAT average at some point. I don't know whether having a high MCAT average is a priority for them though. I think their main goal is to produce physicians likely to serve under served populations in Alabama (which is pretty much everywhere in Alabama). But this would obviously entail selecting not only applicants likely to stay in Alabama, but also applicants likely to perform well in medical school. I think multiple factors come into play. Honestly, I'm just hypothesizing to relieve the stress. This is obviously where I want him to attend school and live forever. :)

So are they actually handing out any rejections at this point? All I've heard lately are wait list emails and acceptance phone calls. I haven't heard about a rejection in months. Or are people just not posting about it?

So are they actually handing out any rejections at this point? All I've heard lately are wait list emails and acceptance phone calls. I haven't heard about a rejection in months. Or are people just not posting about it?

I've seen one rejection on this whole thread

Someone posted back in November or so that they had rejected 30 people post-interview. It's possible that only individuals with higher stats are getting interviews at this point, so less are being rejected. It's also possible that late applicants are typically not SDNer's.

Someone posted back in November or so that they had rejected 30 people post-interview. It's possible that only individuals with higher stats are getting interviews at this point, so less are being rejected. It's also possible that late applicants are typically not SDNer's.

Interesting. My husband also was waitlisted today with a 30+ MCAT. I know they've already pulled from the waitlist a few times. At this point I just wonder how large the waitlist is and how much they plan to use it in the future.

Anyone else still interviewing? Or have they finished interviews?

Best of luck to everyone. Check out the ACOM facebook page if you want to see pictures of the school. It's changed a lot over the past month and looks amazing. :D

I got the acceptance call today!!!!!!! :) interview 2/14 and was on the waitlist!!!! I'm so thankful for the opportunity!!!!