age question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makewon99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional pre-med student and want to serve in the military (navy) I will be cutting it close on the age factor and I was wondering if anyone knew if enlisted time counts to allow commissioning?

Members don't see this ad.

makewon99 said:
I am a non-traditional pre-med student and want to serve in the military (navy) I will be cutting it close on the age factor and I was wondering if anyone knew if enlisted time counts to allow commissioning?

In short yes, they do give time for enlisted/prior service and as a doc, you can get commissioned up to I think 36 w/o any kind of waiver, but age waivers are fairly easy for medical folks due to shortages and if you have prior service and will be close to 36 they will subtract year for year prior to any need for waiver.

I agree with the previous post. I didn't start med school until I was 34, and had 14 yrs of enlisted service in the army. I had to fill out an "age waiver" which was basically a one-paragraph letter (USUHS gave me the format even) saying "please waiver me".

The admissions people were very clear in that, while waivers were given out at the drop of a hat, nothing was guarunteed, but there are 3 people in my class who are even older than _I_ am - all with prior service, 2 of them as Os and the other enlisted.

If you're not over 40 don't worry too much about it.

I am 33 now and it looks like I will be 41 when I get out of med school (due to class changes in my undergrad and needing to wait a year to take them and the glide year) so I was hoping to offset that with reserve service enlisted during school it will be hard doing med and that however I was told there is a possibility I could go inactive or convert to military med-student status.I was wanting an outside view of the possibility thanks.