USUHS Age waiver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFPILOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched here a while and couldn't find the answer so sorry for starting a new thread. Basically, I am wondering just how old you can be to get into USUHS? I know that if you have prior service they will let you in up to 35 but I will be older than that when I want to apply. I have heard that the military is really hurting for doctors and people are telling me that age shouldn't be a factor but that is not what the USUHS website says. I am AF and would be 37 by the time I could start. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched here a while and couldn't find the answer so sorry for starting a new thread. Basically, I am wondering just how old you can be to get into USUHS? I know that if you have prior service they will let you in up to 35 but I will be older than that when I want to apply. I have heard that the military is really hurting for doctors and people are telling me that age shouldn't be a factor but that is not what the USUHS website says. I am AF and would be 37 by the time I could start. Thanks for the help!

Might give you a waiver, but probably not.

According the the website, enlisted officers need a waiver if 33 or older, commissioned officers need waiver if 38 or older by June 30th of 2012. I have no idea whether it is realistic or not to get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang! Where was that? Last time I looked it said 35. If the age is 38 then I think I'm ok. I'll back and look at that again.

Dang! Where was that? Last time I looked it said 35. If the age is 38 then I think I'm ok. I'll back and look at that again.

"Due to commissioning standards, civilians and enlisted personnel who have reached their 33rd birthday by 30 June 2012 will have to request an age waiver prior to an offer. Commissioned personnel who have reached their 38th birthday by 30 June 2012 will need to request an age waiver. At this time, it is not necessary to submit a request. We will inform you at the appropriate time."

http://www.usuhs.mil/adm/suppinstr.html

"Be at least 18 years old at the time of matriculation but no older than 32 as of June 30th
(Applicants older than 32 years old may apply to the School of Medicine if they are recommended for a position by the admissions committee and approved by the dean. Furthermore, the age of any student who has served on active duty as a commissioned officer in the uniformed services may exceed the age limit by a period equal to the time served on active duty, provided the student is no older than 37 as of June 30 in the year of admission.) "

http://www.usuhs.mil/medschool/admissions/admissionrequirements.html

I think your Ok, and can even get an age waiver if necessary. Good luck

You should be OK. I am a student at USUHS and was 36 when I started. There are a number of people in my class who are 35 and older. I never had to request a waiver, it was processed automatically after they recommended for admission.