After residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longwaytogo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Maybe you can help me out. Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to get a job after plastics residency, such as joining a group practice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

longwaytogo said:
Hi guys,
Maybe you can help me out. Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to get a job after plastics residency, such as joining a group practice? Thanks!

Totally depends on the type of practice and the location. If you are trying to to do stuff where there is a lot of competition (i.e. cosmetics in Las Vegas) and you try and do it as part of a group, you will probably end up spending considerable time as the whipping boy or girl. If you go with some midwest group specializing in butt ulcer flaps, you will probably have no problems finding a good deal. It all depends on where on the desireability/compenastion bell curve you plan to land.

longwaytogo said:
Hi guys,

It also depends on whether you are interested in academics. There is a high demand for academic facial plastics (and likely plastics) surgeons. The problem is that few FPRS want to go into academics, given the massive bank that they can make in privates, under the right conditions.

I represent three plastic surgeons, two out of fellowship and one senior physician who lost his patient base due to Katrina.

I have had a very difficult time finding practices in So. Cal and Las Vegas, because of the competition stated previously (I'm sure the last thing a So. Cal doc wants to see is another young physician moving in).

I have had success in getting interviews for my two young physicians in the midwest and northeast. I also found that Portland, OR (and surrounding area) and Seattle have been easier to place in.

All the best,