DO fellowship after MD residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing the reverse as a hot topic, but does anyone know where I can get a definite answer as to whether you can enter an osteopathic plastic fellowship after completing an allopathic surgery residency? Do some programs differ?:confused: Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to a PD of a DO plastics program the other day, and he said that if the AOA approves your ACGME training, then you can do a DO fellowship. He said that you don't have a chance unless you rotate with said program, though.

Hope that this helps :thumbup:

Sweet! Thanks. Yeah, I knew about the face-time factor for getting a spot. Now, how do we figure out if the AOA approves the ACGME program? Is is listed somewhere or do we just have to call each program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a new thing. you may have to fill out some paperwork and jump through some hoops, but it can be done. Just call the programs direct.

so- on the other end of the spectrum-

can an allopathic MD grad complete an Osteopathic residency?

They are working on coming up with the requirements for this to happen... The DO that is on the council figuring this out that I heard said it would involve making up the "manual manipulation" hours, which turns out to be quite a few... I am blanking on what he said, but it is in the hundreds. That being said, I have no idea how an allopathic medical student would go about making up those hours...

They are working on coming up with the requirements for this to happen... The DO that is on the council figuring this out that I heard said it would involve making up the "manual manipulation" hours, which turns out to be quite a few... I am blanking on what he said, but it is in the hundreds. That being said, I have no idea how an allopathic medical student would go about making up those hours...

What council exactly is considering this? There are much bigger issues than manipulation hours.

that sounds like more trouble than it's worth - it was a huge pain in the ass to learn diagnosis and treatments during years 1 and 2 as a medical student, but to have to learn all that as a resident or fellow would just blow.

What council exactly is considering this? There are much bigger issues than manipulation hours.

I'm sorry I actually don't remember... I can try and find out, but he was basically saying that the biggest difference between the first two years of osteopathic training and allopathic training was the manual manipulation hours...

If I can find out the council that this guy was on I'll let you know.

I'm sorry I actually don't remember... I can try and find out, but he was basically saying that the biggest difference between the first two years of osteopathic training and allopathic training was the manual manipulation hours...

If I can find out the council that this guy was on I'll let you know.

I think you're either confused or I'm not understanding your statement. Are you claiming that an MD student who completed an ACGME residency can make up some OMM hours and apply to an AOA PRS fellowship??? Because I HIGHLY doubt that. If MD students aren't allowed to apply for AOA residencies straight out of medical school ... why would one be able to apply after even more time away??? I could see a DO graduate completing an ACGME residency then an AOA PRS, but once again ... the student graduated DO to begin with.

Something you guys may not know (and if you do, sorry for the repetition)

DOs (or MDs) who graduate from a DO plastic surgery residency cannot be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery under the auspices of the American Board of Medical Specialties. There is a separate board for the DOs.

Something you guys may not know (and if you do, sorry for the repetition)

DOs (or MDs) who graduate from a DO plastic surgery residency cannot be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery under the auspices of the American Board of Medical Specialties. There is a separate board for the DOs.

Yeah ... there is a separate but equal (as far as I know) board for AOA PRS, which makes even less sense then of having MDs being certified with that board.