AF vs Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbyrd85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have talked to many recruiters from both AF and Navy. their programs looks the same for someone who in the end wants to enter OMFS . but some of my friends insist I should go for AF if accepted rather than Navy. can someone please explain why is AF favored over Navy or whether there is such a thing as AF favored over Navy.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my personal enlisted experience from the Navy, I would recommend Air Force. :confused: (But this is enlisted experience)

It is sad, but from what I've heard from other people, Air Force much better than the Navy.

P.S. I agree with makushin's post: "airmen don't go on ships"

Last edited:
I'v enjoyed my time in the AF very much. For the most part, the AEGD programs in the services are about the same. Other residencies are also similar, but may have some minor differences.

The AF has been good to me and has been a fun place to practice.

I'v enjoyed my time in the AF very much. For the most part, the AEGD programs in the services are about the same.

Please correct me if this still doesn't hold true but in the AF AEGD your are credentialed in IV sedation, at least my friends that have previously done the program are. In the Army and Navy AEGD you are not.

The AF is the closest to the civilian sector of the big 3.

I think it's important to understand that the AF is still the military and you are still expected to be, not just an officer, but a good officer as well as a dentist. We still follow all customs and curtosies. We typicially have a very good working relationship with our coworkers, no matter what their rank is.

I've said several times, the military isn't for everyone. You will find people who had bad experiences in the AF, Army, Navy, Marines, etc... and you will find even more that had a good experience in all of those branches of service as well.

The AF does credential general dentists to do IV sedation in their AEGD and GPR programs. The Army and Navy do not. I think that would be the only difference

I would like someone to explain to me, how the AF is more "civilian" as well.

We typicially have a very good working relationship with our coworkers, no matter what their rank is.

I would like someone to explain to me, how the AF is more "civilian" as well.

I guess the easiest way to explain it would be for you to ask any of the dentists who have transferred over from the Army or Navy to the AF to explain the differences if your rank won't detour a candid conversation. There are plenty of people who have transferred over as I know a number from my previous units. Just talk to the these people and I think they will be able to shed some light on the issue…

I am in the minority in that I think it is much better being in a field unit, having the opportunity to participate in the field environment with the soldiers, marines, etc.. Heck, we can all drill teeth until we are old and tired...

Last edited:
Ive completed my application for the HPSP Navy scholarship ... does anyone know if my application can also be used for the AF? The application was long and strenuous and I dont know if I can make it through another full application.

Ive completed my application for the HPSP Navy scholarship ... does anyone know if my application can also be used for the AF? The application was long and strenuous and I dont know if I can make it through another full application.

I filled out the AF app last year, and was waitlisted. I then went to the Navy. Some of the paperwork is transferable but, overall there still a LOT more paperwork to fill out for a 2nd branch.

I completed the AF application and about 90% of the Navy application. Your physical from the MEPS is transferable to both branches but the applications are completely different. The Navy is mostly online and the AF sends you a "workbook" to fill out in Word. The good news is that they all ask virtually the same questions. It's a huge hassle, but once one is completed the next is not so bad.