AEGD residency after a few years of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCbiograd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth completing a AEGD residency after a few years of practice. The reason that I ask is I will complete 3 years in the Air Force with the option of completing a AEGD residency in the services. But if I want to get out quicker I can turn down the service residency and after my commitment is up complete a residency in the private sector. Do you guys think it is worth completing a residency if I have 3 years experience in general practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth completing a AEGD residency after a few years of practice. The reason that I ask is I will complete 3 years in the Air Force with the option of completing a AEGD residency in the services. But if I want to get out quicker I can turn down the service residency and after my commitment is up complete a residency in the private sector. Do you guys think it is worth completing a residency if I have 3 years experience in general practice?

The Air Force AEGDs are excellent, especially to advance. Some programs outside the Air FOrce will wonder why you want one after 3 years of practice. ie - to you want to specialize? to you feel weak? can you learn(after 3 years of practice)?

You should call some of the programs and ask them. If you are near NYC and off next weekend the Residency Fair will have AEGDs programs there.

I guess I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a AEGD after 3 years of practice. Would I have already learned what they would teach me? Would it help secure a better associateship?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a AEGD after 3 years of practice. Would I have already learned what they would teach me? Would it help secure a better associateship?

with 3 years experience, you probably do not need a residency,
UNLESS you feel you missed something in the military...like working on children
UNLESS you feel you want to apply for a speciality.

It is an individual choice

You will need an AEGD or GPR to get licensure in some states, NY, DE for instance. You can get a license without completing a board exam after completing an AEGD or GPR in NY, CA for instance. The military AEGDs are known to be well funded and very good.
If you are not interested in NY or DE and have passed a licensing board, it might not be necessary.

I've often wondered if there are any programs available that are similar to the military AEGDs. I know some who did those programs and are quite skilled in OS, perio surg., learned to do apicos, implants, etc. I've been in practice for a few years and want to move beyond bread & butter procedures without making a bunch of mistakes in the process. You can't match a supervised environment for picking up many of these skills. I don't get the impression the typical AEGDs are on par with the 2 year military ones. If you find out to the contrary, let me know!! How much additional service if you did a 2 year AEGD with the military?

I've often wondered if there are any programs available that are similar to the military AEGDs. I know some who did those programs and are quite skilled in OS, perio surg., learned to do apicos, implants, etc. I've been in practice for a few years and want to move beyond bread & butter procedures without making a bunch of mistakes in the process. You can't match a supervised environment for picking up many of these skills. I don't get the impression the typical AEGDs are on par with the 2 year military ones. If you find out to the contrary, let me know!! How much additional service if you did a 2 year AEGD with the military?

With a 2 year AEGD, there would be no additional service requirement as residencies are considered neutral years. I would be paid the wage of a captain for this time period as well as the years to follow (3 in my case). It is a great deal, I was just curious as to what others thought.