Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paraguard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I know this is an exciting and terrifying time of year since I was sitting where you are now. I used student doctor a lot last year for information when I was interviewing. I am currently 3 months in to my OB/Gyn intern year. I created a new account so no one would know who I was from last year and where I ended up for residency. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to try to answer them as honestly as I can. A few pieces of advice....

1. Apply to more programs that you think you really need...the application is not that expensive. The travel to interviews IS! So pick your interviews wisely.

2. Don't take one person's opinion as the gospel...different people are looking for different things out of a program.

3. If you are interested in a fellowship choose a program that can take you there...i.e. one with well known people in the field, one that has placed people into the fellowship you want in the past.

4. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION...if you can't see yourself living in a place don't apply. I did it...I went to those places and no matter how much I loved the program I couldn't bring myself to rank them highly if I didn't want to live there.

5. Talk to as many people as you can about how the residents get a long and how they treat medical students and ancillary staff. It makes a huge difference in the general attitude of the program.

6. Ask about didactic time and exactly HOW they protect the time.

7. Ask how each program prepares their residents for boards.

8. Ask about numbers. I am 3 months into intern year and I have done over 50 c-sections, 40 minor gyn cases, and 40 vaginal deliveries.

I don't mind to give opinions about specific programs. I applied to 25, interviewed at 14 and ranked 12. And I hear things about others...but it is only my opinion and what I found out on the trail and with research. I am currently at a highly academic program in the Northeast but I went to medical school in the South and I interviewed everywhere from NYC to Washington.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for offering to be a source of information for the next set of interviewees! I was curious what are sources of information are the best for figuring out surgery numbers? Also, is it pretty standard for everyone to start doing C-Sections as interns?

THANKS for this post!!! I am applying to just the NY/NJ area and I am mainly interested in the big University programs in NY(columbia,cornell, einstein, mount sinai, nyu). Any info or advice you can share about these programs or interview process??

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The APGO website has a fantastic database of the ob/gyn residency programs in this country (much better than FREIDA), which provides approximate numbers of vag deliveries, C/S, and various gyn procedures done by residents in the four years. Here's a link to the website.

Thanks for offering to be a source of information for the next set of interviewees! I was curious what are sources of information are the best for figuring out surgery numbers? Also, is it pretty standard for everyone to start doing C-Sections as interns?

C-sections as interns--I have 2 friends at different programs that do NOT do sections as interns. Many places I've read about/heard about have interns do primaries but not repeats, however one local program interns do both, and even some HR sections late in the intern year.

I am an intern currently have have done ~100 sections already, including repeats, classical and high risk cases. I started doing sections on day 1. Definitely ask about that during interviews because I know there are programs where you do not get this experience right away.

OB stats everyone will get ask about laproscopic and gyn numbers. Also what is the board pass rate a must to ask!!!! Although many programs do not give interns surgical experience immediately it is the academic and fundamental base that matters most. Not passing written boards can cost you dearly!

Good luck

Diane
Moderator OB/GYN

There has been a lot of talk about numbers and I make sure that there are some clarifications.

The APGO data-base is a great reference for a lot of things, but I would not take it as gospel as far as numbers. For example, in my program the APGO database is grossly inaccurate and far misrepresented. The numbers posted are much much lower than the actual numbers for current residents.

Keep in mind that while there are some places where you are doing a ton of cesareans from day one there are other places where you will start off learning the art of a vaginal delivery and managing your service. Honestly, I think that sometimes taking things one step at a time and taking a "boring" vaginal delivery to learn the names of clamps and practice your suturing can be beneficial. That being said, while few people start out doing c-sections day one in my program we are all WELL VERSED in cesarean sections. C-Sections numbers should not worry you for ANY program, and if they are that program is seriously pretty questionable. What you really want to look for is how much of the surgery you actually are doing, rather than just holding a retractor for, and also the quality of gyn surgery you will get. Trust me, you'll be sectioned out by the time you hit third year no matter where you go!

what's the general view of the following programs:
1. Hopkins
2. NYU
3. Pittsbugh-Magee
4. Rochester

Our program interns start on c/s on Day 1... I finished first year with ~300 c/s.

Why does every program ask?: where do you see yourself after residency?.

Are they trying to see if you will stay in their state or if you will stay in academic medicine and want to do a fellowship?.. what do they want to gather from this question?. It has been asked at all my interviews.