Advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joelmamchur

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone retaking from last August might remember me....
I was the freshman taking the MCAT.

I've decided to retake the test (obviously to improve my scores), but am unsure of what book to use. I used Barron's last year (which was TERRIBLE!!!!), but am now using Gold Standard. I was wondering whether anyone has used this book, and if so, was it good? Also, would anyone recommend Kaplan over this book?
I also feel that it would be more beneficial to read a few study texts, do other agree?

Thanks,
-Joel

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I have never even heard of it. I can't vouch for Gold Standard, but you might want to go with something more mainstream.

As for texts: I think your textbooks from school would not be very useful. Most test prep company books have nice summaries of the different topics. That was the only text that I used.

Members don't see this ad :)
joelmamchur said:
Hello,

Anyone retaking from last August might remember me....
I was the freshman taking the MCAT.

Thanks,
-Joel

I'm sure you have been asked this before, but why are you taking the MCAT as a sophomore? Have you finished your pre-reqs? They are probably the most important factor in how well you'll do. Are you graduating Uber early? The MCAT is a test you want to only take ONCE! Since you have already taken it once, you better make sure the second time is the last time.
I'd take the test next April, when you are more prepared.

Was Barron's really that bad? I noticed it was the cheapest MCAT Prep book available in Chapters the other day (something like $20 or so) so I figured something might be fishy, but not to say that "price of materials" is correlated with "success".

I've got all the Princeton Review books from 2002. The science books are pretty good and have good questions that make you think (especially Biological Sciences). As for Verbal, I keep on hearing really good things about Examkrackers Verbal Review so I'll probably order that soon.

Thanks for all of the advice!
And yes, Barron's was really that bad. I looked comprehensive when I bought it, and I thought "why spend the extra $60-$80? The O-chem section was small, and biochem section was about 13 pages! The biology section went into so much detail that it was ridiculous and impossible to retain anything at all.....

Another question that i have is whether everyone thinks that it is better to study from one book or more than one.... I was thinking about opening with a 7 day read of Gold standard, then 3 reads of Kaplan, using EK and possibly audio osmosis?

Thanks,
-Joel

skiz knot said:
I'm sure you have been asked this before, but why are you taking the MCAT as a sophomore? Have you finished your pre-reqs? They are probably the most important factor in how well you'll do. Are you graduating Uber early? The MCAT is a test you want to only take ONCE! Since you have already taken it once, you better make sure the second time is the last time.
I'd take the test next April, when you are more prepared.

skiz knot is completely right, don't take the MCAT until you're ready. Even if you've taken the pre reqs, courses in Genetics, Physiology, Microbiology, and Biochem are all EXTREMELY helpful. I scored near the 95th percentile on the MCAT and I doubt I could have achieved that without those courses I just mentioned. I just don't want you to shoot yourself in the foot again if you dont have to, take the test when you honestly feel that you're ready.

I'm taking th MCAT early b/c they allow early admission to med school here (after 2 years pre med). I took the MCAT last year in hopes of getting in after 2 years. The school I am applying to only weights the MCAT about 10% of the admissions ave., and takes your best MCAT score.

I guess I also feel that I am at least somewhat ready. I took chem 1 in high school, so I had time to complete all my pre reqs, as well as physiology, logic, and english theory (to help w/ VR), etc.. I think the hard thing for me to do is to judge how I will do. I got 7 7 8 R last time, with (like I said before) not completeing the pre reqs and not studying with a good enough book (or properly). While I do regret taking it last year, I feel that I learned a lot from the experience, and that I should do much better this time. Wouldn't the information be easier to remember since I just finished the courses this semester?

In April I would have less time (The MCAT falls right during finals), so if I wait a year I'll pretty much be in the same situation I am in now....?

Hey Joel, one tip-- don't use your real name as your sn. Best of luck retaking, I recommend using Kaplan.

Ive used gold standard, and still do, but I supplement it with kaplan and EK books. Basically, find whatever materials best help YOU learn the s**t, and just put it all together so that you can ace this test! Best of luck!