Advice for 2023-2024- MCAT Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medster_

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New on this forum, rather SDN in general. I am currently 21 yrs old, graduated with BS in Bio, 3.98 GPA, 700+hours of clinical experience, and a lot of research experience as well. NY-based.

I have been demotivated as I could not sit for an MCAT in 2022 due to family and personal issues. With non-optimal studying habits, I recently took a diagnostic and have a starting base of 495. I am shooting to reach the range of 508-512 at the bare minimum. I am shooting for a test date in March/April 2023. From people that were in similar situations, is this possible? Have you guys seen it done? Studying techniques/tips? What are your thoughts on this?

Any advice on holistically as an applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

New on this forum, rather SDN in general. I am currently 21 yrs old, graduated with BS in Bio, 3.98 GPA, 700+hours of clinical experience, and a lot of research experience as well. NY-based.

I have been demotivated as I could not sit for an MCAT in 2022 due to family and personal issues. With non-optimal studying habits, I recently took a diagnostic and have a starting base of 495. I am shooting to reach the range of 508-512 at the bare minimum. I am shooting for a test date in March/April 2023. From people that were in similar situations, is this possible? Have you guys seen it done? Studying techniques/tips? What are your thoughts on this?

Any advice on holistically as an applicant?
First thanks for coming in. Have you taken the time to run through the MCAT forums? Also the SDN resources on developing an MCAT study schedule should be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not trust any opening MCAT score unless it is from AAMC. Don't let that number get in your head and define you.

Doing well requires the ideal balance of knowledge of concepts coupled with test-taking skills. Each section requires different skills, so you have four separate areas to master. I recommend you learn by error, where you jump into passages right away and review what you need, as you go. It will be demoralizing, but you get points on the MCAT for getting questions right, so you might as well start with that approach and learn as you go.

It's also important to time your AAMC materials correctly. Start them once you are about eighty percent reviewed. Once doing AAMC materials, you will discover that your need to look at questions differently. That is when you really start to hone your test-taking skills!

Good luck!

I think even with a starting score, it's not enough information to relegate yourself to "I need to be holistically reviewed".

An important next step I would do is to really sit down and see what happened during that practice exam, in terms of content, timing, endurance, etc.

Then you can find some good resources to fit those needs. For example, if it's content you're lacking (the wise ones say <500 scored is content lack), try to look into some prep books, videos, & or anki decks that could push up the gaps.

If you're struggling on CARS, figure out what about it is tripping you up. Try to make a plan to address those tripping points.

Ultimately, you can solve this, you just have to be motivated to really dive deep into this MCAT thing!

Also, striving for a 508-512+ is totally doable. Once you pull up content, and get in a rhythm, good things will come!

Thank you so much for everyones advice, truly means a lot! Lets do this!