advice/school list for 503 (122 in cars), 3.9 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonenotme

Reaction score
I retook a 500 (126/123/125/126) and I got a 503 (127/122/129/125) ): cars is the devil itself. I honestly thought I did way better, but it is what it is at this point. I do not plan to retake and I really do want to apply this cycle. This is how the rest of my app looks like:
1000+ clinical hours MA
50+ shadowing
about 100 hospital volunteering
200 research/no pubs
3.9 gpa, went to a T10 undergrad (idek if that matters atp)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Details are needed. Follow the template.
  1. GPA
    • cGPA: 3.9
    • sGPA: 3.94
  2. MCAT
    • 1st time: 500 (126/123/125/126)
    • 2nd time: 503 (127/122/129/125)
  3. State of residence
    • MI
  4. Ethnicity/Race
    • Middle eastern (not sure if orm/urm)
  5. Undergraduate Institution
    • Top 10
  6. Clinical Experience
    • 1000+ hrs Medical Assistance
    • 1000+ hrs pharmacy tech (not sure if that counts)
    • 100 hrs Hospital Volunteer
  7. Research Experience
    • 200 hrs research bio lab
  8. Shadowing
    • 50+ hrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hrs tutoring students in lower-resourced schools
    • 100 hrs elderly service
    • 80 hrs community service/park cleaning
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    • 250 hrs Orgo TA
  11. Awards
    • Dean's List
  12. 1 Gap year

Draft of School List: I only have like 8 in mind and I want to apply to at least 20. I would appreciate any suggestions!
  1. Oakland OUWB (top choice)
  2. MSUSM
  3. Wayne State
  4. UMich (probably a reach)
  5. MSUCOM
  6. MSUCM
  7. Northeastern Ohio Medical University
  8. Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Are you from a URM group ?
  1. GPA
    • cGPA: 3.9
    • sGPA: 3.94
  2. MCAT
    • 1st time: 500 (126/123/125/126)
    • 2nd time: 503 (127/122/129/125)
  3. State of residence
    • MI
  4. Ethnicity/Race
    • Middle eastern (not sure if orm/urm)
  5. Undergraduate Institution
    • Top 10
  6. Clinical Experience
    • 1000+ hrs Medical Assistance
    • 1000+ hrs pharmacy tech (not sure if that counts)
    • 100 hrs Hospital Volunteer
  7. Research Experience
    • 200 hrs research bio lab
  8. Shadowing
    • 50+ hrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hrs tutoring students in lower-resourced schools
    • 100 hrs elderly service
    • 80 hrs community service/park cleaning
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    • 250 hrs Orgo TA
  11. Awards
    • Dean's List
  12. 1 Gap year

Draft of School List: I only have like 8 in mind and I want to apply to at least 20. I would appreciate any suggestions!
  1. Oakland OUWB (top choice)
  2. MSUSM
  3. Wayne State
  4. UMich (probably a reach)
  5. MSUCOM
  6. MSUCM
  7. Northeastern Ohio Medical University
  8. Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

You can remove U Michigan since it is unrealistic with a MCAT of 503. Also Northeastern Ohio and Ohio University admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 503 and no connection to the state. Add Central Michigan. Also add more DO schools and I suggest these:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
ACOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM

Reactions: 1 users
You can remove U Michigan since it is unrealistic with a MCAT of 503. Also Northeastern Ohio and Ohio University admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 503 and no connection to the state. Add Central Michigan. Also add more DO schools and I suggest these:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
ACOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
Thank you so much, how do you think my chances are at getting any II or A's with the application I have?

Thank you so much, how do you think my chances are at getting any II or A's with the application I have?
Getting A's are 100% on you.

All we can advise on is which schools you' be competitive for an II.

I suggest:
Any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Sadly, I think that you're circling the drain for MD.

Suggestions: apply to your in-state MD programs, but UMMS is going to be very tough as a reach. But if you are drawn to Oakland...

Your best shot is going to be based on mission fit, and I don't see a path from what you disclosed. Why is medicine your calling, and what would you want to do 10 years from now?

GPA/MCAT tables say...
MD acceptance rate for GPA 3.8+ with 502-505 MCAT is 40.2%
DO matriculation rate for similar range is 61.3%

In-state matriculants: MSU MD 84.7% of 190 person class, Wayne State 64.0% (300!!), Central 76.7% (103), Oakland 48% (125), UMMS 42.9% (168), Western Michigan 36.0% (86).

Match your stats up carefully. Add the DO schools suggested to you.

Your chances of A’s depends on how well your interview goes.

Your chances of II all depend on how fast you submit those secondaries and how well you write to expression yourself and your mission-fit to these schools, for both MD and DO, since your MCAT is less than ideal for MD and even some DO schools.

Your chances of A’s depends on how well your interview goes.

Your chances of II all depend on how fast you submit those secondaries and how well you write to expression yourself and your mission-fit to these schools, for both MD and DO, since your MCAT is less than ideal for MD and even some DO schools.
I agree with this! I had a CARS of 121 and an overall 504 score, and I got into three MD schools and had 7 II. So work on your essays, have someone proofread them, and practice your interviewing skills. You got this, PM me if you have any questions!

Suggestions: apply to your in-state MD programs, but UMMS is going to be very tough as a reach. But if you are drawn to Oakland...

Your best shot is going to be based on mission fit, and I don't see a path from what you disclosed. Why is medicine your calling, and what would you want to do 10 years from now?

GPA/MCAT tables say...
MD acceptance rate for GPA 3.8+ with 502-505 MCAT is 40.2%
DO matriculation rate for similar range is 61.3%

In-state matriculants: MSU MD 84.7% of 190 person class, Wayne State 64.0% (300!!), Central 76.7% (103), Oakland 48% (125), UMMS 42.9% (168), Western Michigan 36.0% (86).

Match your stats up carefully. Add the DO schools suggested to you.
Thank you so much for your reply, I know UMMS is a reach but I went there for my undergrad which is why I still want to give it a shot.