advice on where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubsRcomfy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there everyone,

due to serious personal and family problems, i have an abysmal undergrad GPA (<2.6) from an Ivy, and an average MCAT score (29R). I've been working in clinical research, good leadership experience, public relations experience, strong letters of recommendations. I am shooting for an MPH program beginning in fall 2006 in the eastern US.

This is my list so far- lots of reaches, some i'm not so sure about:
boston university
drexel
temple
dartmouth
nyu
EVMS
Virginia Comm.
UVA
GWU

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

scrubsRcomfy said:
hi there everyone,

due to serious personal and family problems, i have an abysmal undergrad GPA (<2.6) from an Ivy, and an average MCAT score (29R). I've been working in clinical research, good leadership experience, public relations experience, strong letters of recommendations. I am shooting for an MPH program beginning in fall 2006 in the eastern US.

This is my list so far- lots of reaches, some i'm not so sure about:
boston university
drexel
temple
dartmouth
nyu
EVMS
Virginia Comm.
UVA
GWU

any suggestions?

What type of MPH program (i.e. international health, epi,etc...) are you looking into?

Members don't see this ad :)
How good am I?

-got a BS in Bio and anthropology
-I have a 3.34 GPA from a 1st tier/2nd tier borderline school
-did HORRRRRILBE on the GREs, as I had less than a month to study and had just recovered from sickness a week prior to exam!!! Got 440V and 630M. I'm retaking them since I know i got at least a 1230 on practice exams (which i heard were harder).
-1 abstract publication for American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS)
-1 conference presentation for (AFFS)
-2 manuscripts under review for publication-- 1 for American Journal of Forensic Science and the other for Journal of Human Evolution
-working for the last two months at MD Anderson Cancer Center as an Assistant Epidemiologist in the Clinical Cancer Genetics Unit.

Should I retake the GREs??? I really don't have time since apps are due feb 1st!

Am I good enough to apply to these schools:
columbia, emory, univ michigan, univ of chicago, ut-houston, tulane, gw, ucla?

HELP MEEEEE!! :confused: :confused: :confused: