advice on uro away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonyDaTigrUprct

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I'm a soon to be 4th year US med student applying to different uro away programs. Is it better to do the aways at schools I actually may want to match at, or at schools that have a better name? I'm also leaning towards the better name schools b/c I have friends I can stay with during those months. I hear that good letters from big programs are important and that you shouldn't do an away at a program you are seriously considering b/c you can also make your stock fall. Is any of this true? Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

check out urologymatch.com - both the site and the message boards. everyone seems to have their own opinion on this.

good luck!!

I would say that you should do away rotations at programs that interest you. It's true that a great letter from a great program can be helpful, but a great letter from a decent program is better than an okay letter from a great program in my opinion. The only reason your stock would go down is if you're not a very good medical student. If you work hard and are confident that you know what you're doing then you'll shine wherever you do an away. If you work hard and study hard the great letters will come.

I would say that you should do away rotations at programs that interest you. It's true that a great letter from a great program can be helpful, but a great letter from a decent program is better than an okay letter from a great program in my opinion. The only reason your stock would go down is if you're not a very good medical student. If you work hard and are confident that you know what you're doing then you'll shine wherever you do an away. If you work hard and study hard the great letters will come.

Thanks for the great advice!