Advice on interview prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so my undergrad school offers one mock interview and my advisor told me that students usually choose to save that until they get multiple IIs or they get an II with their top school. I have a DO interview coming up, which I haven't started preparing for yet, but it's not my top choice. I mean it's also possible that I don't hear back from my top choice schools either. What do you guys think I should do?

I'm really nervous and my problem is sometimes I stutter when I'm nervous so I tend to overprep. When I overprep I sound rehearsed and it's just as bad cus if I forget one word, I lose my train of thought. I've looked at some mock interviews on youtube but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well. My interview is on 9/9, how should I manage my time and what should I focus on? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Just like Goro said, you just gotta keep practicing. Filming yourself answering questions, having friends or family members help, those mock interviews provided, talking out loud, etc. But you also have to tackle that insecurity of yours... it's perfectly natural to be nervous, think of the interview as getting to know someone, I've even heard to think about it like dating. You're interviewing for the school but you're also interviewing them, to see if that really is a place that can provide you with the education you seek.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes its ok to pause when asked a question, and think about the question and how you would word the answer in your head during the interview, I think it makes you seem less rehearsed if their is reason to believe you're carefully considering their questions. Most people wont judge you for stuttering; you're expected to be nervous and up tight. I would use a comment to bridge the silence such as "That is a very fair question, let me think how I would approach the situation". I remember I did this once on an interview and the person countered with "Are you unable to make snap decisions?" so I replied "Would you want a doctor that made snap decisions without careful consideration or all the information?". There are definitely some interviewers who might be a little intentional provoking to assess how you respond. Though, I think most just want a genuine conversation to gauge who you are as a person.

To be honest, the interviewees that are overly confident and have strong opinions without careful consideration, might come off more in a bad light than someone who is a little nervous.

Reactions: 1 user
Sincere question, what is the rationale behind “saving” a practice interview?

Hi guys, so my undergrad school offers one mock interview and my advisor told me that students usually choose to save that until they get multiple IIs or they get an II with their top school. I have a DO interview coming up, which I haven't started preparing for yet, but it's not my top choice. I mean it's also possible that I don't hear back from my top choice schools either. What do you guys think I should do?

I'm really nervous and my problem is sometimes I stutter when I'm nervous so I tend to overprep. When I overprep I sound rehearsed and it's just as bad cus if I forget one word, I lose my train of thought. I've looked at some mock interviews on youtube but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well. My interview is on 9/9, how should I manage my time and what should I focus on? Thanks in advance
Read these:

Sincere question, what is the rationale behind “saving” a practice interview?
I think they would ask specific questions about the school and the program in the mock interview. so maybe some people save the mock interview opportunity until they get an II from their favorite school :shrug:

Do interviewers ask similar questions at the same time like: "what are your strengths" and "why should we accept you over another applicant?" I'm just thinking like when I answer questions like that should I "save" some responses to another similar potential question?

Make sure you have semi-prepared answers or ideas for standard questions like “why do you want to be a physician?” As for other types of questions, I suggest writing down different themes that are related to you as a person. For example, If you play a certain sport, how has it impacted your life? Or, If you had a specific shadowing or volunteering experience that impacted your current aspirations of wanting to be a physician. Therefore, all of these experiences make up who you are and what you can share depending on the question.

Make sure you have semi-prepared answers or ideas for standard questions like “why do you want to be a physician?” As for other types of questions, I suggest writing down different themes that are related to you as a person. For example, If you play a certain sport, how has it impacted your life? Or, If you had a specific shadowing or volunteering experience that impacted your current aspirations of wanting to be a physician. Therefore, all of these experiences make up who you are and what you can share depending on the question.
thank you! do you think 2-3 minutes is okay for answers time or is that too short? I was aiming for 3 minutes but when I did my mock interview today, my advisors told me that my answers were too short. I mean I can talk about some personal examples to make my answers sound longer but I was just wondering how much time I should be aiming for

I would try less to make each answer reach a time limit because you then run the risk of talking for the sake of talking. I believe that if your answers are well thought out and project your inner ideas that's all that matters. Granted, if all of your answers are like 15 seconds then that is an issue. I'm sorry if this response is of no help but I never practiced based on a time limit.

I would try less to make each answer reach a time limit because you then run the risk of talking for the sake of talking. I believe that if your answers are well thought out and project your inner ideas that's all that matters. Granted, if all of your answers are like 15 seconds then that is an issue. I'm sorry if this response is of no help but I never practiced based on a time limit.
that makes sense.. Thank you!

Do interviewers ask similar questions at the same time like: "what are your strengths" and "why should we accept you over another applicant?" I'm just thinking like when I answer questions like that should I "save" some responses to another similar potential question?
My take is that one should be prepared for the commonest questions, but don't expect that they will be a given to be asked.

At my school, we don't ask them.

You can get an idea of what interviewers ask in the Interview Feedback section of SDN.

The Ivies seem to be pre-occupied with poor grades, as in "So explain why you got a C in Organic Chemistry"

It will behoove you to be able to think on your feet and display grace under pressure.