DO Schools w/ USMLE Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a list or can throw out a few names of DO schools that build USMLE prep into the curriculum. I know that LECOM does and I appreciate that aspect (not that I want to study for 2 tests, but I'll likely take it regardless and it'd be nice to have it carved into the curriculum/expectations). What other schools make this a priority, and does it even matter considering the ACGME merger? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

First let me get this out of the way, USMLE and COMLEX cover the same material besides OMM. Now to answer your question, no school prepares you for USMLE/COMLEX, you do. You invest your time and money into all things board prep meaning UFAPS + Boards and Beyond +/- zanki from the very first day of med school and you will be set.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Touro NV subscribes everyone to U World for OMS-II. Faculty seem cognizant of boards, especially during clinical skills classes, but most also have the mentality that "studying for class is studying for boards".

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a better question might be to ask which schools encourage students to take the USMLE, or at the very least don’t actively discourage students from taking it. There’s no sense in fighting an uphill battle for two years with the admin if you don’t have to.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a list or can throw out a few names of DO schools that build USMLE prep into the curriculum. I know that LECOM does and I appreciate that aspect (not that I want to study for 2 tests, but I'll likely take it regardless and it'd be nice to have it carved into the curriculum/expectations). What other schools make this a priority, and does it even matter considering the ACGME merger? Thanks for any help!
RVU probably, as they require thier kids to take the exam.

Thank you all for the input!

Honestly even if a school has USMLE prep, trust me, you will be doing all of it on your own. If you trust your school to prep you for boards you are asking for bad scores. I wouldn't really factor this into your consideration, just go the best school you get into.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly even if a school has USMLE prep, trust me, you will be doing all of it on your own. If you trust your school to prep you for boards you are asking for bad scores. I wouldn't really factor this into your consideration, just go the best school you get into.
OP this. You won't realize how much board irrelevant things your school is teaching you until it comes time for dedicated, and that's why it's important to start FA/Boards and beyond +/- zanki early first year, and then transition to UFAPS+BnB +/- zanki early second year. This is coming from someone still studying for Step 1 after realizing how much time I wasted on school material in the last two years. Obviously you have to at least pass your classes to even have a chance to sit for COMLEX/USMLE, but trust me, don't listen to the people that tells you studying for your classes is also studying for boards! That's a LIE in most cases.

Do well in your courses and begin board prep based on what is best for your situation, and then you will be all set. If your school helps pay for certain materials like UWorld, etc. then that’s the best you can hope for because it will be all on you to conduct independent preparation for USMLE/COMLEX.

Thank you all. Gonna go with the general theme of "it's all on you," consistent with my entire educational experience to this point. Color me surprised!

I think a better question might be to ask which schools encourage students to take the USMLE, or at the very least don’t actively discourage students from taking it. There’s no sense in fighting an uphill battle for two years with the admin if you don’t have to.
Meaningless. At the end of the day it's your choice whether you take it or not, the attitude from admin shouldn't affect you in the slightest. Honestly ignoring admin like 99% of the time is probably the best approach lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Meaningless. At the end of the day it's your choice whether you take it or not, the attitude from admin shouldn't affect you in the slightest. Honestly ignoring admin like 99% of the time is probably the best approach lol.

My admin is fine, my point was to avoid the headache if at all possible.