Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandhumd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im a 4th yr med student who was going to apply for radiology until I did my derm rotation just recently. I know its late now, but I was wondering what advice I could get from here regarding derm and getting in. Here are some stats: Step 1=229/93, Taking Step II at the end of october, GPA=3.874, AOA, A or honors in medicine, psych, rads, peds and obgyn, AB or high pass in fam med and surgery. I will have 3 rads publications (2 first authors and 1 case report). I have other research in plastics which was only a poster presentation. Currently, Im thinking that I will need to take a year off to get some derm research and quality LOR from derm staff.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah sounds like a year of research is in order... Your stats would normally make you a viable candidate with a so-so chance to match (low board scores being the only obvious problem) but the lack of connections and good LORs will kill you. Normally they say your best shot at derm is your first, but in your case I think a year of research, getting to know the faculty and getting really good LORs will boost your chances by alot. You could apply for the hell of it, but it would likely be a lot of time and money wasted given how late in the game it is.