advice/give me some realistic goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texascaroline

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college last August with a degree that was more business based. Early this spring I realized that PT is what I want to do and I have jumped in to the process with both feet. I am still working full time to save up some money but this summer I am leaving my job and will start taking my prereqs. I need about 30 hours and will be able to get some this summer and the rest this fall. Also during that time I will be volunteering at a local hospital and then hopefully at an outpatient clinic this fall. I am taking the GRE in 3 weeks and have been preparing for that for a while.
I had a cumulative GPA when I graduated of 3.7. I expect to make As or Bs on all my prereqs and will ideally have around 200 observation/volunteer hours when I apply.

I plan on applying to many schools to better my chances of getting in somewhere but I'm just wondering what my chances are of being able to start with a DPT program in 2010 (be it May or August depending on school). I feel like I have gotten a late start and am way behind others who had a more science based degree or who have had this plan in their minds for a while. I have already shadowed a little bit and I am sure this is what I want to do, but I would like maybe a little bit of a reality slap to either do something different, etc.

Thanks again!

p.s. I love this forum, you guys are great!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it! If everything goes according to the plan I believe you'll have great stats! try to do well in the GRE and if you think you can do better after taking it, take it again! you have time! try to get of course more As than Bs in the pre-reqs. I have to say I love this forum too and it really helped in my process! good luck!

It sounds like you are right on track to be starting in 2010 as long as you are able to complete your plan. Don't worry about how far behind others you feel or the fact that you got a later start then some. In the end, none of that matters if this is what you want to do. Good Luck!

Yah, it definitely sounds that you are doing everything right. Don't feel like you're too late. You now know what you want to do!