Advice from Previous Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you should totally include that as experience! that is an amazing amount of exposure that many of us can't brag about.

Members don't see this ad.

Lets say years from now, I go to apply to vet school and want to specialize in Avian medicine. Or even if I don't want to "specialize" exactly, but focus on avian medicine, what would be a sufficient amount of hours working with birds? Would a ton of time in a small animal clinic count with parrot ownership?

I think that pulling blood feathers and clipping my parrot's wings are signifigant experiences. Do you record that in hours? Or what? Mention it in an essay somewhere...?

Maybe it's too far off for me to think about it?

Maybe its just me - though Im sure not - but reading this thread exemplifies how nuts you can go trying to cater your experience, and then your application, to each school. From what I have gathered from various posts, Penn and CSU frown upon listing pets, unless you have a specific experience with them (i.e. showing, or I was a puppy raiser for seeing eye dogs). However, Va-Md encourages listing of pet ownership as animal experience.

Last time I checked we all submitted the VMCAS - a common application (at least the above schools accept it). How can you cater to two opposing ideas on one form? And even if you didn't put it on the VMCAS but included it on your additional Va-Md forms, im sure they'd go asking you why the two don't match up!

So not that I needed help realizing this - but theres more proof for us all we are not nuts and its just an impossibly crazy process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe its just me - though Im sure not - but reading this thread exemplifies how nuts you can go trying to cater your experience, and then your application, to each school. From what I have gathered from various posts, Penn and CSU frown upon listing pets, unless you have a specific experience with them (i.e. showing, or I was a puppy raiser for seeing eye dogs). However, Va-Md encourages listing of pet ownership as animal experience.

Last time I checked we all submitted the VMCAS - a common application (at least the above schools accept it). How can you cater to two opposing ideas on one form? And even if you didn't put it on the VMCAS but included it on your additional Va-Md forms, im sure they'd go asking you why the two don't match up!

So not that I needed help realizing this - but theres more proof for us all we are not nuts and its just an impossibly crazy process!

I thought VMCAS said not to, so I didn't include pet ownership. But then VA-MD said definitely include it, so I did on their supp. If asked, I'd say just that. Not a big deal. Though I agree the many tiny ways in which each school is different is rather annoying.

Although, today I'm not really annoyed with anything.:D

I thought VMCAS said not to, so I didn't include pet ownership. But then VA-MD said definitely include it, so I did on their supp. If asked, I'd say just that. Not a big deal. Though I agree the many tiny ways in which each school is different is rather annoying.

Although, today I'm not really annoyed with anything.:D

You know what? Thank you for posting that VAgirl...because you made me think twice and I went to my application bible (my accordion folder that is busting with EVERYTHING vet school related) to look at my printed apps. Turns out - i did the exact same thing! I left pet ownership off VMCAS but on the additional form for Va-Md I included it! Shows noone should listen to me because this processes has made me nuts!

And noone can blame you for not being annoyed with anything today! Congrats! I think im just feeling a bit overpicky since I am still waiting on 6 schools (Wi and 5 that have sent out interviews already) and the waiting is clearly getting to me!