This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstgendent

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all, I am grateful for this community so I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this question.

I am stuck and do not know who to talk to. My family has high expectations of me. I had always done well in school until I reached University. In 2018, I transferred to a big university with 500 people classes. I was overwhelmed and started to doubt my abilities given how much talent was around me. For the first time ever, I received a 2.2 on my transcript. This crumbled my self-esteem even more. I ended up becoming depressed and started to do badly in most of my classes. I did not seek help from anyone because I was too ashamed. What do I even say when I ask for help? I failed a couple of courses. Retook them and passed with a low-grade second time around. Long story short, I graduated with my BA in biochemistry in June 2021 with an extremely low GPA of 2.34.

During my final year, I discovered my interest in dentistry. So I began looking for shadowing opportunities. I came across a job opening for being a Dental Assistant so I took up the offer and started working part-time. I loved seeing the dentists do beautiful restorations and even complicated extractions. I even got to see implant placements. I learned a great deal about the administrative side of the job as well. Overall, I love everything about being a dentist. So I decided to study for the DAT and take the exam. Yet another failure, I did horribly. I scored a 15 AA. This crushed me. I did not share this with family or friends as I am extremely disappointed in myself.

I don't know what to do now. I know I need to bring my GPA up and retake the DAT. But I have so much anxiety thinking I am not good enough. I cannot imagine not being a dentist. I would appreciate if anyone is willing to mentor me and help me figure out a game plan.

I am a first-generation college student so I do not have many people to talk to.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if it’s in the cards for you. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but with your GPA and what you got on your DAT, it’s looking like it may be close to impossible.

You just have too many credit hours completed at a 2.34 GPA that even if you took another 100 credit hours of 4.0 work, you probably still won’t be even at a 3.4 GPA. Compounded with the fact that you scored far below average on your first DAT attempt, your chances aren’t looking great.

I’m sorry that this isn’t the comment you wanted to read, but I’m trying to save you time and money. There are many careers out there than just dentistry, and I’m positive you’d find one in which you’d be extremely successful in. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I don’t know if it’s in the cards for you. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but with your GPA and what you got on your DAT, it’s looking like it may be close to impossible.

You just have too many credit hours completed at a 2.34 GPA that even if you took another 100 credit hours of 4.0 work, you probably still won’t be even at a 3.4 GPA. Compounded with the fact that you scored far below average on your first DAT attempt, your chances aren’t looking great.

I’m sorry that this isn’t the comment you wanted to read, but I’m trying to save you time and money. There are many careers out there than just dentistry, and I’m positive you’d find one in which you’d be extremely successful in. Good luck!
Sadly I agree. Its going to a hugely uphill battle, might be a minimum of 4+ years before you even start dental school.

Have you considered dental hygiene?

I somewhat disagree, but I have less experience than the two above (I am a current applicant). You need to have a heart to heart with yourself on why you did so poorly before continuing to do damage to your academic career. I'm in a masters program with a lot of students who did have gpas around a ~2.5. Truthfully, I believe if you can do a masters program (with an official or unofficial linkage) to a high level >3.5 and getting a solid DAT score >20 then there might be a small chance.

Your roadmap most likely will look like
2 solid years of post-bacc at a 4.0 (if you cannot get into a SMP) --> 2 solid years at a SMP at a 3.5+ --> DAT retake between your SMP years --> Applying to expensive private schools and state school

Members don't see this ad :)
I somewhat disagree, but I have less experience than the two above (I am a current applicant). You need to have a heart to heart with yourself on why you did so poorly before continuing to do damage to your academic career. I'm in a masters program with a lot of students who did have gpas around a ~2.5. Truthfully, I believe if you can do a masters program (with an official or unofficial linkage) to a high level >3.5 and getting a solid DAT score >20 then there might be a small chance.

2 solid years of post-bacc at a 4.0 (if you cannot get into a SMP) --> 2 solid years at a SMP at a 3.5+ --> DAT retake between your SMP years --> Applying to expensive private schools and state school
I don't disagree with the possibility of getting in...but that process will likely cost 800k+ and 8+ years of your life.

Personally, I just don't think there is a good ROI on that.

thank you

I did consider dental hygiene but I do not see myself enjoying it as much as being a dentist.

I don't disagree with the possibility of getting in...but that process will likely cost 800k+ and 8+ years of your life.

Personally, I just don't think there is a good ROI on that.
I am willing to invest time and money. I just feel lost on which route to take.

Thank you for this, I will do some research and talk to Masters program Admissions advisors. I think I neglected myself mentally and that led me to where I am today. I do plan on retaking the DAT because I did not study rigorously the first time around. I figured I needed to do active learning with tons of practice questions instead of just reading over notes and Study materials.

It's funny you mention this, because I actually did do the Masters route myself and I got in. That said, I got in with a 3.3 GPA (After Masters) and a 24 AA on my DAT, that that's with strong extracurriculars and letters. And even still, I only got 2 interviews after applying to 20+ schools.

So.... yeah I know what it takes and how these things work. It's a crazy amount of work and time, and now as a D4 looking back on it all, it only made sense for me because 1.) I went to a "relatively" cheap dental school ~$250K (yes yes still crazy expensive but better than the 400+ from USC, Midwestern, NYU, etc.) and 2.) One of my family members is a dentist and so I will be able to own a practice extremely quickly out of dental school

If I weren't incredibly fortunate in those specific areas, I don't know if it would have been worth it. All told it's going to be probably $400K after loans and interest. The ONLY reason I'm okay is because I have a practice to go into in which I'll be able to pay it off over time. For you, starting out right now realistically looking at 6, 7 years of school ahead of you before you get paid a cent -- to me it just doesn't make sense. But again, if it's your dream and you want to try, go for it! I am only responding because you asked for advice. Hope this helped!

Thank you for this, I will do some research and talk to Masters program Admissions advisors. I think I neglected myself mentally and that led me to where I am today. I do plan on retaking the DAT because I did not study rigorously the first time around. I figured I needed to do active learning with tons of practice questions instead of just reading over notes and Study materials.
Sorry for the double response here, but please keep this in mind: These Masters programs are not easy. They are significantly harder than the Undergraduate Level and demand much more effort and time. For example, in my Masters program, I had 24 exams in 10 weeks. 2.5 exams a week and that's just 1 quarter. I did that multiple times in a row, and all the while you're fighting for every point to keep your GPA up.

Honestly think to yourself, can you handle that many hard classes while maintaining say a 3.8 GPA? Because if you get a 3.5 for even 60 credit hours, your GPA is going to be a 2.7 or 2.8 ish. Most dental schools have cutoffs at a 3.0 GPA. Just a thought

I agree with others.

You have to think about the time and money you'll have to invest very carefully before moving on. It's an extremely difficult uphill battle. I'm talking about a good 3-4 years of additional school, extracurricular work, and study for DAT BEFORE your dental school WITHOUT any hiccups along the road. I would honestly be burnt just from that alone.

Not to underestimate your capability as a student, but going from what you are capable of now to what is expected of you to apply sounds like a very difficult challenge on its own.

Hard to say this, but I would honestly look for another career.

Reactions: 2 users
It's funny you mention this, because I actually did do the Masters route myself and I got in. That said, I got in with a 3.3 GPA (After Masters) and a 24 AA on my DAT, that that's with strong extracurriculars and letters. And even still, I only got 2 interviews after applying to 20+ schools.

So.... yeah I know what it takes and how these things work. It's a crazy amount of work and time, and now as a D4 looking back on it all, it only made sense for me because 1.) I went to a "relatively" cheap dental school ~$250K (yes yes still crazy expensive but better than the 400+ from USC, Midwestern, NYU, etc.) and 2.) One of my family members is a dentist and so I will be able to own a practice extremely quickly out of dental school

If I weren't incredibly fortunate in those specific areas, I don't know if it would have been worth it. All told it's going to be probably $400K after loans and interest. The ONLY reason I'm okay is because I have a practice to go into in which I'll be able to pay it off over time. For you, starting out right now realistically looking at 6, 7 years of school ahead of you before you get paid a cent -- to me it just doesn't make sense. But again, if it's your dream and you want to try, go for it! I am only responding because you asked for advice. Hope this helped!
Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice a lot. I came here for help because I knew it wouldn't be sugar-coated. I needed real unbiased opinions.

Would you be willing to mentor me? I feel like I just need a helping hand at this point to slow down. I want to do a Masters but there are just so many options. I know I can do it. I had a 3.6 GPA for the first 2 years of undergrad so the damage done is repairable I believe.

Moreover, I have made connections with dentists who own practices, are doing quite well, and will hire me as soon as I graduate so I am not worried about the loans and what happens once I graduate. Regarding time, I have 6-7 years to invest in myself. I do not want to look back and regret not following my heart.

Take a sabbatical from your aspirations. Get a few years of maturity under your belt, then re start your quest. Getting into a ds may prove the easiest part; staying and graduating from one are the more challenging parts.

I agree with others.

You have to think about the time and money you'll have to invest very carefully before moving on. It's an extremely difficult uphill battle. I'm talking about a good 3-4 years of additional school, extracurricular work, and study for DAT BEFORE your dental school WITHOUT any hiccups along the road. I would honestly be burnt just from that alone.

Not to underestimate your capability as a student, but going from what you are capable of now to what is expected of you to apply sounds like a very difficult challenge on its own.

Hard to say this, but I would honestly look for another career.
I agree it would be extremely difficult. Thank you for your advice.

Take a sabbatical from your aspirations. Get a few years of maturity under your belt, then re start your quest. Getting into a ds may prove the easiest part; staying and graduating from one are the more challenging parts.
I have heard from friends who are currently in dental school how challenging it is but I've got grit and I would not give up.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice a lot. I came here for help because I knew it wouldn't be sugar-coated. I needed real unbiased opinions.

Would you be willing to mentor me? I feel like I just need a helping hand at this point to slow down. I want to do a Masters but there are just so many options. I know I can do it. I had a 3.6 GPA for the first 2 years of undergrad so the damage done is repairable I believe.

Moreover, I have made connections with dentists who own practices, are doing quite well, and will hire me as soon as I graduate so I am not worried about the loans and what happens once I graduate. Regarding time, I have 6-7 years to invest in myself. I do not want to look back and regret not following my heart.
I don't know what you mean in "mentor" but I usually check on SDN once a day so if you have any questions, I can certainly respond to you. Just Private Message me and I'll give you advice, as it seems like you want to go forward with it all. Please keep in mind I am not the end-all-be-all, and just because it worked for me, it might not work for you. You still gotta follow the best route for yourself, regardless of whatever anybody says here on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
How does moving to Texas sound?

... at the very least, provided the program is still offered in 2030, and you haven't been successful in getting into dental school yet, this might be an option to consider.

However, I would think there's a lot you can do to improve your GPA between now and then without having to resort to this highly specific program.

Be extremely conscious of the $ and time investment going forward, you are not in a position to just take the first opportunity moving forward. If you are going to thrust yourself into a highly risky situation you can not afford to not have an extremely well flushed out plan going forward. The academic environment is not the same as it was 20 or even 10 years ago. By the time you may be able to even start D school you could be in your late 20's and then facing taking on possibly 700k additional debt with the way tuition keeps going up. This is a death sentence for anyone entering school and should be avoided at all costs, on the other hand you can take your degree and move into another field of work, get paid days off, get to enjoy your life, and have money to invest - even an average salary invested into index funds will be able to fund a healthy retirement. Take your time to troll these boards and dentaltown if you want a sense of what you are getting yourself into. Many seasoned professionals will likely tell you to pursue something else.