Any advice for creating a resume for the first time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ale0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no job, internship, or volunteering experience as a 21-year-old. I'm just a full-time college student at the moment. My goal though is to become a Dental Hygienist.

I was given advice from my uncle who goes to dental school to apply for a Dental Assistant Trainee position at a nearby public dental office he used to work at. He started his dental career through this position at that office years ago.

I already applied for an RDA license and recently got approved for it. Now I'm going to apply at that dental office.

I have to attach a resume to the application. I've never created a resume but I've been doing some research online and decided to make a combination/hybrid resume. I got my name and contact info but have no idea what to write for the summary, skills, and professional history. For education history, should write that I'm currently a college student that's been enrolled since fall 2018?

My mind is blank right now. I don't know what skills or unique characteristics I have. I'm an introvert and don't have good social skills (I have some insecurities) to be able to know what kind of person I am in a professional setting. I don't want to lie to make me look like an extroverted, sociable person when I'm really the opposite. I'm a kind and caring person with a shy personality. I've always been told I'm too nice, and a "good girl". I really want to change myself to become a better person, get rid of my shyness, and work on my social skills.

What kind of advice can you give me?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no job, internship, or volunteering experience as a 21-year-old. I'm just a full-time college student at the moment. My goal though is to become a Dental Hygienist.

I was given advice from my uncle who goes to dental school to apply for a Dental Assistant Trainee position at a nearby public dental office he used to work at. He started his dental career through this position at that office years ago.

I already applied for an RDA license and recently got approved for it. Now I'm going to apply at that dental office.

I have to attach a resume to the application. I've never created a resume but I've been doing some research online and decided to make a combination/hybrid resume. I got my name and contact info but have no idea what to write for the summary, skills, and professional history. For education history, should write that I'm currently a college student that's been enrolled since fall 2018?

My mind is blank right now. I don't know what skills or unique characteristics I have. I'm an introvert and don't have good social skills (I have some insecurities) to be able to know what kind of person I am in a professional setting. I don't want to lie to make me look like an extroverted, sociable person when I'm really the opposite. I'm a kind and caring person with a shy personality. I've always been told I'm too nice, and a "good girl". I really want to change myself to become a better person, get rid of my shyness, and work on my social skills.

What kind of advice can you give me?
be honest and write what you just wrote (skip the "don't have good social skills" part)
say that you want to work hard and learn to work in a professional dental setting...

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t worry they’re not expecting too much from you as a college student.

Because of the huge shortage of dental staff in general they are accepting the vast majority of candidates