Advantages of buying loupes through your school's representatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynameisno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So representatives from three loupe companies did virtual presentations for my class (due to Covid). It seems like most people are ordering from them. What is the advantage of ordering from companies affiliated with your dental school vs those that are not? Doesn't almost every major loupe company have discounts for students?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of any major ones really. The only thing would be that your rep may come by more frequently for maintenance issues if other people have the same loupe company, but this is really not a big deal as you likely will end up mailing yours for service anyways.

I do believe almost every major company does have student discounts. Start with a 3.5, get a good light. You don't really know what you want at this point in your career, so go cheaper end imo. Buy a better pair closer to D4 year.

Ask around for your instructors and upperclassmen and see what pairs they have. If they will let you try them on. Also if you have rx for eyeglasses you will need to let them know about that when they are fitting you.

Reactions: 1 users
- Getting fitted. They've fitted probably hundreds of students/dentists and would likely do a better job than you trying to fit yourself for something you've never bought before
- Point of contact for support, if any issues arise. Can help move the company's customer service along/get a better resolution if needed
- They usually visit the school a few times a year, so you can get the opportunity try on different loupes then (they probably wipe them down heavily now)
- There's no fee to use them, they're built into all of the company's prices already. So you should go ahead and utilize them!