Advanced Practice Nurses in ICUs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If NYRN is truly an ICU nurse...

The only place he/she/it could exist is New York, land of the unions, power nurses, and poor medical care.

Why go pre-med when you can be a NYC ICU nurse making well into the 6 figures for 3 shifts, 1 patient per shift, almost zero work, and complete run of the hospital committees, bylaws, and managerial positions?
:laugh:

Coastie already pointed this out, but I am so :eek::confused:, I must ask:

NYRN - that phrase was a mistake, right? a bit overzealous?

I will leave the whole discussion of 'extubation based on ABGs' alone for now (at least "...and clinical judgement" was in there), but are you, NYRN, actually suggesting that RNs are, could, or should extubate patients it the ICU? (and I don't mean deflating the cuff and yanking out the tube...I mean making the independent decision that the patient can be extubated, performing or directing the extubation independently, and/or independently monitoring the patient post-extubation with a plan to re-intubate if necessary...and, as a second question, are you also saying you would/could re-intubate if needed?)

Please answer/explain NYRN.

HH

EDIT: and, if you are going to re-intubate, how would you get the drugs? Are you suggesting an RN orders medications, also? ...or would you just use brutane?

HH

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just an MS4, but I did just finish a month in the ICU, and I thought I'd throw this out there. It seemed to me that nurses were more involved and made more decisions than on the floor, but that those decisions were still within relatively circumscribed areas. For example, nurses would adjust pressors to maintain a physician-determined MAP goal, as my attending explained, because MAP is an objective, easily monitored end-point. Any change in a patient's inotropes, however, required an MD order since cardiac output is subject to more variables and (generally) more difficult to determine. Nurses would also make decisions about extubation, in the sense of letting the physician know when the sedation had worn off enough to extubate. They would not, however, make the decision that today would be a good day to extubate Mr Jones.

If NYRN is truly an ICU nurse...

The only place he/she/it could exist is New York, land of the unions, power nurses, and poor medical care.

Why go pre-med when you can be a NYC ICU nurse making well into the 6 figures for 3 shifts, 1 patient per shift, almost zero work, and complete run of the hospital committees, bylaws, and managerial positions?
:laugh:

Where do you get your information from?? 6 figures, 1 patient per shift and zero work?? I don't think so. I love when people come from out of state who think they know what working hard is, they crumble to pieces here. The patients that go to the ICU in other hospitals go to the floor here.

Poor medical care? I guess thats why people come from across the country and the world to go to Lenox Hill, Mt. Sinai, NY Pres, Columbia, NYU and Sloan Kettering. NYU and Sloan use a lot of NP's, you don't hear of patients having problems there. I'm sure your hospital in god knows where is better than all of those hospitals put together. :laugh:

As far as the original topic where nurses are doing things such as drips, I never said that all decisions are made by nurses or that every time these things happen they are done by the nurses. I said that these things are situational, and even within the same hospital, it depends on the unit. Many surgical ICU's (including those of different specialties such as CT, burn, ect) do not have MD's on the unit all of the time. Sometimes they are not around for hours. If a patient is bottoming out, the nurses act until the MD gets there. If that includes starting drips and giving meds, that is what happens. If the MD's don't want the nurses doing anything at all, than they need to park their butts on the unit and not leave, ever.

Yes, nurses extubate the patients postop based on ABG's and clinical condition. I have yet to hear of a problem with a patient because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nurses would also make decisions about extubation, in the sense of letting the physician know when the sedation had worn off enough to extubate. They would not, however, make the decision that today would be a good day to extubate Mr Jones.

This is my point. It depends on the situation. If the patient is in the CT or SICU the nurses will extubate the patient during the night for example. If the patient is in MICU and septic, they are not going to decide its time to extubate that patient today.

You start gtts?
You extubate on your own? :laugh: What happens when the patient fails, needs to be reintubated, and no one is around?
"More" when the situation warrants it? Where are the residents/fellows, sleeping? Have you ever actually worked in an ICU? The residents/fellows are always on the floor.

Protocols are the death of medicine as it allows nurses like you to assume that medicine is protocols and clicks on a screen.

BTW, ACNP are trying to take over the ICUs. Who are you kidding?

I'm glad I don't work in your ICU. Your job, as an ICU nurse in my ICU, is to work as a team, following out my plan for the patient, and reporting back to me your concerns and observations regarding the patients course. You are to follow my orders, parameters. You are not to think outside of these boxes as you don't have the experience or knowledge, but input is appreciated and will be considered.

It is not to:
1) start gtts
2) extubate on your own based on ABGs :laugh:
3) "do more" as warranted
4) take over the ICU

Your job is to be a nurse, not attempt to practice parts of medicine.

Got it?

The residents and fellows are NOT always on the unit. Maybe in your hospital, but in most they are not. What about a hospital with NO residents/fellows? Do you think the attendings are sitting on the unit 24/7?? They aren't.

The extubating based on ABG's is a policy set by medical directors. In some units, when the attendings round in the morning, the patient better be extubated and out of bed. That is the way they want it. Although you make good points, its just not reality that ACNP's or PA's are trying to take over ICU's or that nurses blindly follow protocols, or that they do not make any decisions at all without physician direction.

BTW, I haven't had any attending ever complain about me, and in fact they like working with me and they trust me. Since you threw in an insult regarding me being pre-med, I will say that they have been the ones encouraging me to go back to med school. If chairmen and long time attendings believe in me and feel that I will make a good physician, that means a lot to me and helps me go foward with this. It really doesn't matter what a nurse hating resident thinks about me or my abilities. Finishing medical school does not make you or anyone one else perfect. These past few weeks I have seen plenty of mistakes, major mistakes, made by residents and not just interns. Experience does count for something, no matter what experience that is. You do not know anything about me or how I work.

Last edited:
This is my point. It depends on the situation. If the patient is in the CT or SICU the nurses will extubate the patient during the night for example. If the patient is in MICU and septic, they are not going to decide its time to extubate that patient today.

The RT's at your facility do not liberate/wean and extubate patients?

Where do you get your information from?? 6 figures, 1 patient per shift and zero work?? I don't think so. I love when people come from out of state who think they know what working hard is, they crumble to pieces here. The patients that go to the ICU in other hospitals go to the floor here.

Poor medical care? I guess thats why people come from across the country and the world to go to Lenox Hill, Mt. Sinai, NY Pres, Columbia, NYU and Sloan Kettering. NYU and Sloan use a lot of NP's, you don't hear of patients having problems there. I'm sure your hospital in god knows where is better than all of those hospitals put together. :laugh:

As far as the original topic where nurses are doing things such as drips, I never said that all decisions are made by nurses or that every time these things happen they are done by the nurses. I said that these things are situational, and even within the same hospital, it depends on the unit. Many surgical ICU's (including those of different specialties such as CT, burn, ect) do not have MD's on the unit all of the time. Sometimes they are not around for hours. If a patient is bottoming out, the nurses act until the MD gets there. If that includes starting drips and giving meds, that is what happens. If the MD's don't want the nurses doing anything at all, than they need to park their butts on the unit and not leave, ever.

Yes, nurses extubate the patients postop based on ABG's and clinical condition. I have yet to hear of a problem with a patient because of this.

You're a liar. Or delusional. Or both.

You're doing a good job throwing around some big name institutions there, but I LITERALLY SPOKE to two intensivists I know among the hospitals you list and they laughed you off the page.

You're a joke.

What exactly is all the arguing about?

There are many ICU (mostly post-op) who can be pathway. Cardiac surgical post-ops are one. There's nothing special to that.

You're obviously not working in a large tertiary care unit.

Sure, there might be a pathway and IF the patient is totally stable, they can "follow the pathway" and be managed by a nurse, but the real skill is managing the patient who DIVERGES from pathway - what then?

This is the difference between a nurse and a physician appropriately trained.

At my institution we have a fledgling group of CT surgeons trying to build the practice back up. So they take risky cases. And those patients aren't suitable for "pathway" as you say. Nor were the patients where I trained.

Really smart guy? Yet another illustration of why I don't want you managing my patients - because surprise surprise SICU (and CT patients) get septic too, but I suppose you didn't think of that becasue all your patients are "pathway" and sepsis couldn't possibly happen in the SICU. Nope, no abdominal cases ever end up septic post-op!

Stick to nursing, pal. Save some patients.

You're obviously not working in a large tertiary care unit.

Sure, there might be a pathway and IF the patient is totally stable, they can "follow the pathway" and be managed by a nurse, but the real skill is managing the patient who DIVERGES from pathway - what then?

This is the difference between a nurse and a physician appropriately trained.

At my institution we have a fledgling group of CT surgeons trying to build the practice back up. So they take risky cases. And those patients aren't suitable for "pathway" as you say. Nor were the patients where I trained.

Aside from the personal dig at me (BTW I've trained at the institutions where tertiary hospitals send their patients to), you're limited by blinders.

I've done cardiac anesthesia in large academic and small private practice community hospitals. Don't be foolish and think that all ICUs have physicians in house 24/7. Pathway patients rarely get in trouble. Nurses are remarkably adept at identifying patients who diverge from the pathway. If they need to be reintubated, it's either the in house anesthesiologist/CRNA or EM physician (or RT in some places). If there's hemodynamic issues, it's the cardiac anesthesiologist who comes in to do an echo, and/or the surgeon. Many major operations are done outside of the Ivory Tower academic centers.

An aside for extubation: it's rarely intellectually challenging decision. Extubation criteria exist for a reason. Vast majority of patients who meet criteria do fine. I've found that following the protocols for vent weaning and extubation actually slows down the process.

You're doing a good job throwing around some big name institutions there, but I LITERALLY SPOKE to two intensivists I know among the hospitals you list and they laughed you off the page.

You're a joke.

Really? I know people that work in all of those places, both MD's and RN's. I hear stories about a few bad apples here and there that the other intensivists and CT surgeons can't stand and don't even want them working there. I'm sure those 2 are included in that group.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from the personal dig at me (BTW I've trained at the institutions where tertiary hospitals send their patients to), you're limited by blinders.

I've done cardiac anesthesia in large academic and small private practice community hospitals. Don't be foolish and think that all ICUs have physicians in house 24/7. Pathway patients rarely get in trouble. Nurses are remarkably adept at identifying patients who diverge from the pathway. If they need to be reintubated, it's either the in house anesthesiologist/CRNA or EM physician (or RT in some places). If there's hemodynamic issues, it's the cardiac anesthesiologist who comes in to do an echo, and/or the surgeon. Many major operations are done outside of the Ivory Tower academic centers.

An aside for extubation: it's rarely intellectually challenging decision. Extubation criteria exist for a reason. Vast majority of patients who meet criteria do fine. I've found that following the protocols for vent weaning and extubation actually slows down the process.

Thank you for enlighting these interns or whatever they really are that have no idea what goes on in a high acuity ICU. Although the nurses do a lot of things that these people feel are "beyond" our abilities, we also know when something is best left to the physician. That is why this system works and patient outcomes have been good.

Agree with most of what you said. Also, didn't mean a personal dig at you - just wondered aloud if you're training at a relatively low-acuity ICU setting. (key term: relative).

Although extubation is mostly formulaic, keep in mind the experts recommend shooting for a 10-15% reintubation rate in a SICU setting - if it's lower, you're probably seeing more pneumonia as a counter-cost.

And if you're truly re-intubating ~10%, some of 'em are gonna fail expediently enough that you need the physician nearby.

But totally agree - this can be either an anesthesia or EM-person on-call.

Thank you for enlighting these interns or whatever they really are that have no idea what goes on in a high acuity ICU. Although the nurses do a lot of things that these people feel are "beyond" our abilities, we also know when something is best left to the physician. That is why this system works and patient outcomes have been good.

This seems appropriate - if you can tell when it is beyond your ability and appropriately bump it up, then we're (finally) on the same page. It's just that your previous posts detailing how you start the gtt, extubate patient based on YOUR assessment, the attendings are never around yada yada yada didn't sound like you had an appropriate reaction to unstable conditions.... it sounded more like a nurse cowboy playing doctor (shrug).

This seems appropriate - if you can tell when it is beyond your ability and appropriately bump it up, then we're (finally) on the same page. It's just that your previous posts detailing how you start the gtt, extubate patient based on YOUR assessment, the attendings are never around yada yada yada didn't sound like you had an appropriate reaction to unstable conditions.... it sounded more like a nurse cowboy playing doctor (shrug).

The situations when nurses are starting drips is when there are NO physicians around and in an emergency, you need to do something or the patient will die. There have been days when the physician teams are nowhere to be found and are not responding or the pages are not going through. Its either act and save the patients life or let them die because you are waiting for the MD. That is pretty much the only time when we will start drips on our own. We don't just decide oh this patient needs a cardizem drip lets hang it up. In some hospitals the rotating residents are not on the floor for up to 12 hours. The nurses don't want it that way either, they want the MD's there, but if they aren't, they have to do what they can.

As far as extubation goes, it's not that difficult. If the patient meets criteria based on ABG and clinical stability the tube gets pulled. If it doesn't meet criteria, than we leave it alone until the MD evaluates the patient and he/she decides if the patient can in fact be extubated or if it should wait.

The nurses know what each particular attending wants and doesn't want for their patient, and what they are comfortable with us doing. We are never going against the attending, its more like we are acting on his/her behalf when they are not around in order to keep the patient stable. That's what it is, and its been working without a problem so far.

The situations when nurses are starting drips is when there are NO physicians around and in an emergency, you need to do something or the patient will die. There have been days when the physician teams are nowhere to be found and are not responding or the pages are not going through. Its either act and save the patients life or let them die because you are waiting for the MD. That is pretty much the only time when we will start drips on our own. We don't just decide oh this patient needs a cardizem drip lets hang it up. In some hospitals the rotating residents are not on the floor for up to 12 hours. The nurses don't want it that way either, they want the MD's there, but if they aren't, they have to do what they can.

As far as extubation goes, it's not that difficult. If the patient meets criteria based on ABG and clinical stability the tube gets pulled. If it doesn't meet criteria, than we leave it alone until the MD evaluates the patient and he/she decides if the patient can in fact be extubated or if it should wait.

The nurses know what each particular attending wants and doesn't want for their patient, and what they are comfortable with us doing. We are never going against the attending, its more like we are acting on his/her behalf when they are not around in order to keep the patient stable. That's what it is, and its been working without a problem so far.

I totally get you. Talking about doing what you're doing when a hospital system is so dysfunctional that residents aren't on the the unit for hours at a time and attendings are remote, is very different that what I perceived you to be talking about.

In my unit, there are multiple residents at any one time. They are NOT permitted to leave en masse for any reason. If they go for lunch, at least one stays on the floor. If they're all at academic conference, then I don't leave the unit (attending). In THIS environment, it would be wholly unacceptable for a nurse or mid-level, in my opinion, to make unilateral decisions on gtts, extubations/intubations, etc. In YOUR environment, at least as you perceive and describe it, it obviously is not only acceptable but it sounds like you've saved some lives. Well done. And I mean that sincerely.

Your comment about extubation... I get what you're trying to say, but I just disagree, and least in my unit where people are sick sick sick. I'll try being more constructive and less bombastic and explain why.

First, for the vast majority of extubations, you're right, the intellectual reasoning to extubate isn't that hard, and the technical side even less (hell, I can't remember the last time I actually did the physical motions of extubation). However, while most patients can be extubated based on a "pathway", or some combination of clinical gestalt and data (if you're relying on blood gases) it's the patients that fall in the grey area that matter.

And WORSE, some that don't even fall in the grey area at first blush will definitely be so! You're not judged solely by how many people you successfully extubate. You're judged by how you handle the ones who crash thereafter.

Plus, what about the patient that doesn't meet your criteria? Some will need to be given the chance... do you have in your toolbox the ability to decide what other factors are relevant? Maybe you do, I don't know. Most mid-levels and nurses don't. Maybe you're different.

Plus, even if you do have the toolbox, and you make a sound decison... SOME WILL FAIL ANYWAY! So you need to be able to rapidly rescue them if they fail. The alternative -- to leave them on the vent longer until they meet "criteria" -- just predisposes them to pneumonia (and frankly, some folks will NEVER reach "criteria"... pull the tube and run is (sometimes) the only strategy left :laugh: You know what I mean.

Plus, what criteria are you actually using? The f/Vt is really the only parameter ever been shown to correlate with extubation success, and even that was when something like 20-30 parameters were basically thrown into the mix via logistic regression. You throw 20 random parameters in, significant testing says at least one of 'em will be helpful! Plus, the f/Vt cut off is 105... you gonna tell your nurses that anything under 105 on minimal settings should be extubated? In truth, most folks are in the 20 - 40 range. But it takes clinical judgement, beyond interpreting a pathway, to pull the tube on the folks with higher rapid shallow breathing indices (f/Vt).

Also, relying on an ABG is fraught with danger, both theoretical and practical. It takes some knowledge to know that the PO2 on a blood gas of 60 isn't necessarily concerning. Can you walk me through the nuances of oxygen delivery and how O2 content is different that Sat% O2, and is different than PaO2? Can you rank their relative importance? Can you discuss the role of Hgb as it pertains to O2 content (and delivery)?

Can you tell me the difference between extubating a POD 1 CT Surgery patient vs. a single lung transplant vs. a double lung transplant? Did the single lung have restrictive or obstructive disease?

Look, maybe you, NYRN, know the answers and can discuss. And, if you can, you're welcome in my unit anytime, and I'd be lucky to have you.

But without exception, no mid-level I've ever worked with or nurse has consistently displayed all these knowledge components. And I take umbrage with the fact that many in hospital administration circles (to say nothing of the aggressive mid-level National Organizations) think otherwise. This thread wasn't a thread about whether or not you, as an individual nurse, can feasably extubate and start drips in a crashing patient when the residents are nowhere to be found and your attending is absent. This was a thread about the place of a mid-level in the unit, and it degenerated into a mud-slinging competition (which I had an incendiary role in) about what a nurse could/couldn't do.

But legally, a lot of what you said you could and have done is only so because you're attendings are lazy, fraudulent, or both. Your comment that you were "acting on his/her [attending's] behalf when they are not around in order to keep the patient stable. That's what it is, and its been working without a problem so far" is both telling and flawed.

Flawed in that it really isn't relevant, because in such a system, you have no control arm. You don't know what would be happening if you had a real 24/7 intensivist around! And telling, because to have you functioning as the de facto attending, whether or not you're acting as they would or not, means that your attendings are either leaving a lot of deserved compensation on the table or they're billing fraudulently. CMS is very clear that to bill for critical care time, you must be physically on the unit. You don't have to be at the bedside, but you have to be ON THE UNIT i.e. if he/she is in their office, the office has to be part of the unit. The situation you describe is not consistent with this.

Last edited:
I totally get you. Talking about doing what you're doing when a hospital system is so dysfunctional that residents aren't on the the unit for hours at a time and attendings are remote, is very different that what I perceived you to be talking about.

That is exactly what I meant. We WANT there to be a resident or attending on the unit at all times so that we have them there if there is a problem with the patient. The truth is, in some places there are no residents, only fellows and attendings, and they are not in house at night. These are the places where midlevels are usually hired to cover overnights.

my unit, there are multiple residents at any one time. They are NOT permitted to leave en masse for any reason. If they go for lunch, at least one stays on the floor. If they're all at academic conference, then I don't leave the unit (attending). In THIS environment, it would be wholly unacceptable for a nurse or mid-level, in my opinion, to make unilateral decisions on gtts, extubations/intubations, etc. In YOUR environment, at least as you perceive and describe it, it obviously is not only acceptable but it sounds like you've saved some lives. Well done. And I mean that sincerely.

Exactly. In many places the nurses go on rounds with the MD's and discuss with the attending their observations and the plan of care that the MD wants for the patient. The nurse may offer any suggestions and discuss the plan so that nursing and the MD's are on the same page. The attending may agree with the nurse's suggestions or disagree and offer an alternative. The attending will always have the final say (as it should be, I think that goes without saying), and I don't know any nurse in his/her right mind that would go against them

, what about the patient that doesn't meet your criteria? Some will need to be given the chance... do you have in your toolbox the ability to decide what other factors are relevant? Maybe you do, I don't know. Most mid-levels and nurses don't. Maybe you're different.

Plus, even if you do have the toolbox, and you make a sound decison... SOME WILL FAIL ANYWAY! So you need to be able to rapidly rescue them if they fail. The alternative -- to leave them on the vent longer until they meet "criteria" -- just predisposes them to pneumonia (and frankly, some folks will NEVER reach "criteria"... pull the tube and run is (sometimes) the only strategy left :laugh: You know what I mean.

I see what you are saying. If the patient falls into the category of never meeting criteria, those tubes are pulled by MD's, not by nurses. Sometimes they get reintubated, sometimes they don't. If that patient decompensated we would do what you do in any situation, bag until someone who can reintubate comes.

was a thread about the place of a mid-level in the unit, and it degenerated into a mud-slinging competition (which I had an incendiary role in) about what a nurse could/couldn't do.

Same here. I did not intend for it to turn into this either, I just get annoyed when people on here who are usually premeds or 1st year med students, get on the anti-nurse bandwagon and truly believe that nurses simply follow protocols or blindly follow orders. They really need to see how nurses function in different roles, otherwise intern year is going to be hell for them.

Do I believe that midlevels should ever replace residents or an attending in an ICU? Of course not. I don't know anyone who would, including NP's. The NP's wanting independent practice are family NP's in primary care, not hospital based NP's. (I don't agree with that either BTW). I know a nurse who worked in a city hospital where they used PA's overnight in that ICU, and these PA's were so scared to make a move without the fellow or the attending's approval, that they might as well have not been there. At other hospitals such as Sloan, NP's are a valued part of the team. Its all depends on the place. In the absence of any MD's in an ICU, I would say that an experienced midlevel would be better than nothing, or even an intern who has no experience in the ICU.

bulgethetwine;9957852 legally said:
behalf when they are not around in order to keep the patient stable. That's what it is, and its been working without a problem so far" is both telling and flawed.

Flawed in that it really isn't relevant, because in such a system, you have no control arm. You don't know what would be happening if you had a real 24/7 intensivist around! And telling, because to have you functioning as the de facto attending, whether or not you're acting as they would or not, means that your attendings are either leaving a lot of deserved compensation on the table or they're billing fraudulently. CMS is very clear that to bill for critical care time, you must be physically on the unit. You don't have to be at the bedside, but you have to be ON THE UNIT i.e. if he/she is in their office, the office has to be part of the unit. The situation you describe is not consistent with this.

Maybe the way I explained it was wrong. What I meant was, because we know what the attendings want and don't want for their patients in certain situations, we are going to do what they would do if they were here to say it. For instance, Dr. A does not like his patient's to recieve fluid boluses over 500 mL and Dr. B wants at least 1 liter before he is called. We are going to do what each attending would want to be done until he/she can be reached or until a resident/intensivist/fellow shows up and takes over. That is what I meant by acting on his/her behalf, which really isn't acting as a defacto attending, and I didn't mean it that way, I just explained it wrong.

BTW, I am not refferring to any one ICU in particular, I am collectively talking about different ICU's around the city and how they function. They differ among each unit and each hospital.

maybe this is a dumb question, but why is there a nurse on the physician forum? if you want to post here and do it all in the icu, why don't you go to medical school???

Reactions: 1 user
maybe this is a dumb question, but why is there a nurse on the physician forum? if you want to post here and do it all in the icu, why don't you go to medical school???

Some of us enjoy the physician perspective and learn from the exposure to a different profession. It's rather difficult to have good physician interaction on nursing forums. I have no desire to be a physician, but I can still appreciate the other side, learn and perhaps improve myself in the process.

It just happens to be a public forum:laugh:

a nurse who is a pre-med, nothing wrong with he/she posting here. last time I checked there was even a section for RNs and other clinicians on this site. besides the thread is about nursing.

those are horrible criteria that are not taking into account any evidenced based extubation criteria that have been around for 10yrs. Someone needs to
re-educate them.

I'd also like to add to this. I work in a CVICU (tertiary teaching hospital) and this is (pretty much verbatim) the weaning and extubation criteria that the RTs and bedside RNs follow for post-operative cardiac surgery patients:

--normothermic (temp >36.5)
--hemodynamically stable: CI > 2.2, SPB > 90, stable rhythm, minimal inotropes
--intact gag and cough (this is assessed in collaboration with the RT)
--absence of lung pathology on CXR
-- Peep = 5, sp02 > 92%, fiO2 less than or equal to 50%
-- (trial the patient on this setting) PSV for 15 minutes with adequate ABGs (pH 7.25-7.48, PaCO2 < 55, sp02 > 92% Pa02 > 72
--ABGs repeated 30 minutes post extubation

When the patient meets this criteria, we go ahead and extubate. There isn't an expectation that the Anesthesiologist needs to be consulted, or present at the bedside, before a "Clinical Pathway" patient is extubated.

If the patient does not meet the criteria, the anesthesiologist is called and it's up to them to decide how to proceed from there.

BTW: Our post-operative OHS patients are managed by Anesthesia attendings. There are no midlevel providers working in any of the critical care units at my hospital.

those are horrible criteria that are not taking into account any evidenced based extubation criteria that have been around for 10yrs. Someone needs to
re-educate them.

I'm curious.... who do you specifically mean by "them"? (The ones that need to be re-educated).

If you're referring to the RNs/RTs etc. that have to follow those criteria- yeah, that may be true, but keep in mind that they aren't the ones that establish those standing orders. The physicians (appropriately so) make those decisions.

Your disagreement with their criteria demonstrates the progress that is being made, and continues to need to be made regarding the continuous scrutinization of "best practices" and evaluating the level of strength of evidence and if/how it applies to different populations.

A thread dedicated to discussing published data and how it compares to what you see in your practice would definitely be interesting.

Extubated most people sucessfully using half that criteria as well as sound assessment, sound ABG, and NIF requr's. Given it also depends on the big picture that is going on with the pt. If a person is dumping out the whazoo from their chest tubes, it will make those criteria moot. Always have to look at the big picture along with the little ones that go with the patient.

EBP will never replace that reality.

Nuff said on this. Usually the CCI's or whoever is covering the pt work well w/ me and learn to value my input and judgment--especially since I am there second-to-second, minute-to-minute, hour-to-hour without exception, monitoring, assessing, and interacting with these pts.

It's about a strong team effort, period. People that don't get that should pick another field altogether. In healthcare and med, no man is an island, period.

Last edited:
It is indeed the (very) rare NP that has any business at all managing SICK patients in a critical care setting without close supervision. Sorry.

I'd like to see civility back in medicine. We all have our concerns about those with less education but I think that most (in my experience) strive to do the best for the patients. They are usually mindfully aware that they lack the education and training that we have.

I'd like to see civility back in medicine. We all have our concerns about those with less education but I think that most (in my experience) strive to do the best for the patients. They are usually mindfully aware that they lack the education and training that we have.

Strong work - bumping a thread that's been dead for 5 years. Nice trollin'

Unless you're referring to the actual technical aspect of spiking the bag of levophed, etc., then you have just revealed yourself to be a complete fraud who actually has no real experience working in an ICU (I'm even wondering if you actually work in a hospital or if you're some spouse of a disgruntled nurse or something), or you've just incriminated your hospital in major violations of federal law. And if you're working at such a hospital, than that's probably why you have no idea of what Coastie and I are talking about.

A nurse is unequivocally not credentialed to "start" a vasoactive medication infusion. Or any other by-prescription-only med. Full stop. Period. Not even up for a debate. I have a DEA number. What do you have nurso besides an application to CRNA school sitting on your desk and visions of riches dancing in your head at night?

Whatever. This debate is tiresome. The good news is that even if they aren't saying it for your consumption (because people like you only argue and argue, and never actually take any of this to heart, but are only too happy to have the 'real' doctors work on their family members) the vast majority of my colleagues think that the "rise of the NP" in American medicine is only occurring because of a weak-ass, broke government that can't afford to pay for real doctors. And you get what you pay for.

Look around at other Western countries, jack. No other country is selling out their patients to half-ass trained nurses trying to manage complex pathology.

What nurses like you just don't understand is that while you're making your snide little comments behind our back, while you're convincing yourself that you can do our job because you think everything can be managed by protocols and pattern recognition, medical school and residency has an immense value that no amount of "experience", PA school, CRNA school or any other para-medical training can replicate.

But you don't want to hear that. You're too busy trying to gain more autonomy to earn more money, all the while saying you're in it "to take of the patient" when

Last edited: