Additional Courses other than Prerequisites

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Initial Question
As everyone knows, the following is the basic prerequisites for medical schools.

• Biology with Laboratory (one year)
  • Inorganic Chemistry with Laboratory (one year)
  • Organic Chemistry with Laboratory (one year)
  • Physics with lab (one year)
  • English (one year)
  • Calculus or Statistics (One year)
But, I have noticed that some schools require additional courses other than prereqs such as some behavioral sciences courses or upper division sciences courses.

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Forms/add_bio_reqs.pdf

My question is:

Do I have to take these additional courses prior to application or prior to matriculation ?

Update 1:

I have noticed there are also "recommended" courses but not "required."

Do medical schools still consider you even though you don't have any of the recommended courses but you have the required courses ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Prior to matriculation.

As everyone knows, the following is the basic prerequisites for medical schools.

• Biology with Laboratory (one year)
  • Inorganic Chemistry with Laboratory (one year)
  • Organic Chemistry with Laboratory (one year)
  • Physics with lab (one year)
  • English (one year)
  • Calculus or Statistics (One year)
But, I have noticed that some schools require additional courses other than prereqs such as some behavioralsciences courses or upper division sciences courses.

My question is:

Do I have to take these additional courses prior to application or prior to matriculation ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, when you get your acceptance letter it will have a little bit of fine print saying "pursuant to your completing the classes you listed in your application." Meaning, they can rescind your admissions if you don't finish the classes you put down.

They'll check to see what courses you have taken, and on your application you're supposed to put what classes you are planning on taking prior to matriculating.

Yes, when you get your acceptance letter it will have a little bit of fine print saying "pursuant to your completing the classes you listed in your application." Meaning, they can rescind your admissions if you don't finish the classes you put down.

Thanks !

But, I have noticed that some schools require additional courses other than prereqs such as some behavioral sciences courses or upper division sciences courses.

I have read the list and found it pretty interesting. Just to put a note: When they say the course is recommended, they pretty much mean it's required. They don't take kindly to people who don't follow recommendations.

So if you're applying to a number of schools, it's safe to assume that you should probably take a bunch of bio courses, biochemistry, molecular biology, anatomy, and genetics.

I have read the list and found it pretty interesting. Just to put a note: When they say the course is recommended, they pretty much mean it's required. They don't take kindly to people who don't follow recommendations.

So if you're applying to a number of schools, it's safe to assume that you should probably take a bunch of bio courses, biochemistry, molecular biology, anatomy, and genetics.

That's not totally true, especially how some dental/med schools "recommend" taking classes like "zoology" which isn't even offered at most universities. Most of the recommended lists normally have about 10-20 classes in them, so it would be near impossible to take all of them. Though, there are a number of "recommended" classes that are required at some schools, so you might as well take those - this includes biochemistry, psych (for dental), anatomy, microbiology, etc.

That's not totally true, especially how some dental/med schools "recommend" taking classes like "zoology" which isn't even offered at most universities. Most of the recommended lists normally have about 10-20 classes in them, so it would be near impossible to take all of them. Though, there are a number of "recommended" classes that are required at some schools, so you might as well take those - this includes biochemistry, psych (for dental), anatomy, microbiology, etc.
1. They have five.
2. They roll off a list of suggested recommends: that is, take at least one from this list.

1. They have five.
2. They roll off a list of suggested recommends: that is, take at least one from this list.

What if you don't take any of the recommended courses but you already have all the required courses ? Do the medical schools still consider you ?

What if you don't take any of the recommended courses but you already have all the required courses ? Do the medical schools still consider you ?

You mean only the yr of bio/chem/ochem/physics?

Or School X requires cell, recommends physio, and you only do cell?

You mean only the yr of bio/chem/ochem/physics?

Or School X requires cell, recommends physio, and you only do cell?

I take all the basic ones (bio/chem/o-chem/Physics/English) and cell for X school but not taking physio even X schools recommend. :oops:

I take all the basic ones (bio/chem/o-chem/Physics/English) and cell for X school but not taking physio even X schools recommend. :oops:
If you do well and the rest of your app is outstanding, they'll look at you.

For whatever reason, school X likes to see physio, but they have to see cell to really consider you. They have to weed out people somehow, I guess.