Adding Ketamine to ESI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norepi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this mildly dated study while pre-reading Benzon's Practical Management of Pain before fellowship.

Effect of Addition of Epidural Ketamine to Steroid in Lumbar Radiculitis: One-Year Follow-Up
Randomized Trial
Yasser M. Amr, MD.

BACKGROUND: Treating sciatica with epidural steroid injection has been a common practice worldwide. N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors are an important component of pain pathways.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of epidurally administered NMDA receptor antagonists (ketamine) for the treatment of chronic low back pain secondary to radiculopathy and its effect on patients’ quality of life.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, double blind controlled trial.

SETTING: Hospital outpatient setting.

METHODS: Two hundred participants aged 25 to 50 years old with a diagnosis of lumbar radiculopathic pain secondary to disc herniation were randomized into 2 equal groups. Group I received 80 mg of triamcinolone (2 mL) and 0.25% bupivacaine (3 mL) plus 30 mg (3 mL) of preservative free ketamine. Group II received 80 mg of triamcinolone (2 mL) and 0.25% bupivacaine (3 mL) plus 3 mL of 0.9% saline. Pain scores were obtained before injection, immediately after injection, one week, one month, 3 months, 6 months , 9 months and one year post injection. The Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire was used at baseline and at one month, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months after injection for assessment of quality of life. Patients were asked to report any side effects, particularly those related to ketamine, including nausea, vomiting, visual or auditory hallucinations, and delirium.

RESULTS: Immediately after injection there was no statistically significant difference between Group I and II regarding pain scale scores. After one week of injection, pain relief was significantly better in Group I compared to Group II and then at all evaluation times. The Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire score decreased significantly (P < 0.05) from 72 (range 62- 83) and 70 (range 57- 82) to 8 (range 2 – 12) and 17 (range 9 – 27) at one month; 6 (range 4 – 12) and 18 (range 14 – 22) at 3 months; 12 (range 9 – 16) and 28 (range 22 – 34) at 6 months; 17 (range 9 – 24) and 31 (range 21 – 35) at 9 months; and 17 (range 8 – 22) and 33 (range 20 – 37) at 12 months in the groups, respectively. Six patients in the ketamine group showed short-lasting delusions lasting for 45 ± 12 minutes after injection.

LIMITATIONS: The limitations include a lack of placebo control.

CONCLUSION: Epidurally administrated ketamine seems to be a safe and useful adjunct to epidural corticosteroid therapy in chronic lumbar radicular pain.

------

I'm admittedly just a lowly anesthesia resident at this point. But does epidural ketamine have any role in the modern pain landscape? Maybe adding a cash-pay modifier for the "ESI plus" for those who are intellectually curious enough to chance some mood modulation from ketamine uptake in addition to possibly improved analgesia?

I'm not advocating for treating comorbid depression with neuraxial ketamine, but why do we not see some folks out in the community buying a few vials of this stuff and offering it?

Members don't see this ad.

but why do we not see some folks out in the community buying a few vials of this stuff and offering it?
Takes more than 1 study to become standard of care. Doing things that aren't SoC increases liability if something goes wrong. Risk especially increases if using scheduled substance, especially one that's abused. Plus it's not cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I came across this mildly dated study while pre-reading Benzon's Practical Management of Pain before fellowship.

Effect of Addition of Epidural Ketamine to Steroid in Lumbar Radiculitis: One-Year Follow-Up
Randomized Trial
Yasser M. Amr, MD.

BACKGROUND: Treating sciatica with epidural steroid injection has been a common practice worldwide. N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors are an important component of pain pathways.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of epidurally administered NMDA receptor antagonists (ketamine) for the treatment of chronic low back pain secondary to radiculopathy and its effect on patients’ quality of life.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, double blind controlled trial.

SETTING: Hospital outpatient setting.

METHODS: Two hundred participants aged 25 to 50 years old with a diagnosis of lumbar radiculopathic pain secondary to disc herniation were randomized into 2 equal groups. Group I received 80 mg of triamcinolone (2 mL) and 0.25% bupivacaine (3 mL) plus 30 mg (3 mL) of preservative free ketamine. Group II received 80 mg of triamcinolone (2 mL) and 0.25% bupivacaine (3 mL) plus 3 mL of 0.9% saline. Pain scores were obtained before injection, immediately after injection, one week, one month, 3 months, 6 months , 9 months and one year post injection. The Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire was used at baseline and at one month, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months after injection for assessment of quality of life. Patients were asked to report any side effects, particularly those related to ketamine, including nausea, vomiting, visual or auditory hallucinations, and delirium.

RESULTS: Immediately after injection there was no statistically significant difference between Group I and II regarding pain scale scores. After one week of injection, pain relief was significantly better in Group I compared to Group II and then at all evaluation times. The Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire score decreased significantly (P < 0.05) from 72 (range 62- 83) and 70 (range 57- 82) to 8 (range 2 – 12) and 17 (range 9 – 27) at one month; 6 (range 4 – 12) and 18 (range 14 – 22) at 3 months; 12 (range 9 – 16) and 28 (range 22 – 34) at 6 months; 17 (range 9 – 24) and 31 (range 21 – 35) at 9 months; and 17 (range 8 – 22) and 33 (range 20 – 37) at 12 months in the groups, respectively. Six patients in the ketamine group showed short-lasting delusions lasting for 45 ± 12 minutes after injection.

LIMITATIONS: The limitations include a lack of placebo control.

CONCLUSION: Epidurally administrated ketamine seems to be a safe and useful adjunct to epidural corticosteroid therapy in chronic lumbar radicular pain.

------

I'm admittedly just a lowly anesthesia resident at this point. But does epidural ketamine have any role in the modern pain landscape? Maybe adding a cash-pay modifier for the "ESI plus" for those who are intellectually curious enough to chance some mood modulation from ketamine uptake in addition to possibly improved analgesia?

I'm not advocating for treating comorbid depression with neuraxial ketamine, but why do we not see some folks out in the community buying a few vials of this stuff and offering it?
Eventually someone will go psychotic on you from the steroids + ketamine and then you might wind up in court. Ketamine can really mess with some people.

Reactions: 1 user
A while back I saw a med error where ketamine was injected for a lumbar epidural instead of bupivicaine(vials looked somewhat similar). Patient was deeeeeeeep in the K-hole for hours. Looked pretty miserable.

Reactions: 1 users
I have awesome results with ketamine stellates. Mix 30mg ketamine with 8cc bupi 0.25%.

I know of a guy that does (and advocates for) a multidrug cocktail for ESIs that includes ketamine. He got up during an AAPM&R session in 2019 and spoke of the wonders he provides. His aura seemed similar to the unlimited dose opioid advocate.

He’s dropping 5 drugs with the injection. This is way off the beaten path that is the standard of care. It’s indefensible. He got defensive when a well-known academic kindly suggested he publish his findings.

Reactions: 2 users
I know of a guy that does (and advocates for) a multidrug cocktail for ESIs that includes ketamine. He got up during an AAPM&R session in 2019 and spoke of the wonders he provides. His aura seemed similar to the unlimited dose opioid advocate.

He’s dropping 5 drugs with the injection. This is way off the beaten path that is the standard of care. It’s indefensible. He got defensive when a well-known academic kindly suggested he publish his findings.
who’s at aapmr saying this? One of the speakers?

Epidural administration of drugs is rarely just neuraxial effects with an agent that is so easily absorbed such as ketamine. It will quickly become systemic.

You can of course do it, but reduce your liability and give them 10 - 20 mg bumps via an IV.
If I remember right, there are people that compound oral ketamine pills for patients in an academic system in California. You could probably just write for that peri-procedurally.

Wait till you read the stuff about hyaluronidase or MSCs in epidurals...

not in that present concentration.

300 mg ketamine is a whopping big dose of the drug.

--------------

as a lowly anesthesia resident, this would be a great study to try to get off the ground,

but get rid of the bupiv

use a much more nuanced dose of ketamine that wont cause psychosis - like 30 mg).

double blind the study

add a placebo control.

do a power analysis before so that you know how many patients are necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can see this gumming up workflow since nobody would reasonably send these patients out before at least a 30-60 minute observation period. a 20-30 mg dose (or .5 mg/kg) may strike the balance of minimizing dysphoria. But if a few patients opt for it as a cash pay modifier and its not every shot, who knows. Counsel the patient about possible side effects, else everything else that could be cited in a courtroom is understood as part of any systemic dose of ketamine.

Mixing 4 or 5 drugs just dilutes each one correct? Obviously, 30mg ketamine is 30mg of ketamine though.

Village idiot.
tenor.gif

IIRC, this guy was doing clonidine/fentanyl/ketamine/Steroid/bupivicane.
reminds me of those patients who go in for procedures because they like the sedation

2 and 50? gimme 4 and 300!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I hope he wasn't actually billing insurance for the ESI...

From the LCD:
  1. ESIs performed with biologicals or other substances not designated by the United States (U.S.) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for this use are considered investigational and are considered not medically reasonable and necessary.

I beleive there was a paper or two for ketamine used in thoracic epidurals for postopera use analgesia, it did seem to have an effect if I remember correctly. NMDA receptors are all throughout the CNS so I would not discount the effect as simply systemic, just like I would not say 10 mg epidural dexamethasone is the same as 10 mg IV.

I hope he wasn't actually billing insurance for the ESI...

From the LCD:
  1. ESIs performed with biologicals or other substances not designated by the United States (U.S.) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for this use are considered investigational and are considered not medically reasonable and necessary.
When did steroids get FDA clearance for this use?

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any regional anesthesia practice of putting ketamine in the epidural catheter?