Oral ketamine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainBrain78

Reaction score
Why isn’t oral ketamine commercially available?

I use it, although quite sparingly mostly because it seems experimental at this point. I’m using it primarily for opioid resistant cancer pain, CRPS, neuropathic pain resistant to standard anti-epileptics, etc. I use a compounding pharmacy that makes it into sublingual troche or lozenge. Usually using 25 mg up to 100 mg BID. What are your experiences with oral ketamine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. It's considered a narcotic
2.it's generic
3. Because of 1and 2, there is a very small market.

What makes the situation less tenable for big pharma:
4. Iv bioavailability is 100%
5. Intranasal bioavailability is 45-50%. Oral is 30%.

So you won't see any big pharma market this

FWIW, there is the nasal esketamine (Spravato) available...

...and private equity purchased a massive share of that market and wants you getting IV ketamine in their clinics. This decade is projected to produce 3B in profit.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have used it a few times. Usually my patients have a hard time paying for it. My one patient with neuropathic pain from a shoulder disarticulation/amputation got his life back with this and rotation to suboxone. My other few patients didn't really notice much. I think it is relatively safe. Usually people have tried the IV in the hospital and are let down by the results of the oral. I am a bit interested in the nasal version but haven't tried it yet.

In my opinion, Ketamine isn't a good drug to use outpatient anyway.

If you want to use it as an off-label adjunct for palliative patients, compounding pharmacy is the way to go. As stated previously, there is no money in making an oral version.