AdComs, is it pretty un-acceptable for a male interviewee to not be in a formal suit? And have you had experiences where a guy did not wear a suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He has been warned so many times. Im guessing he just came off a suspension.
My first experience with off-topic prolific members was streampaw.
Good times.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Banhammer smacking is a collective decision by the SDN moderators, not one individual. I surmise that Walt simply couldn't help himself and ignored directives to knock off the "god-tier" comments.
I like to imagine him grabbing his arm to pull it away from the keyboard, desperately whispering "no, don't do it, Walt." But to no avail.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Why are beards seen as undesirable/unprofessional? If they are clearly well-groomed and maintained, why would that reflect any worse on the applicant than if they just shaved it off?
If they're nice and thick, well-groomed and well-maintained then sure, it's not undesirable / unprofessional. But a lot of the times, beards are one of those things that people think they look better in then they actually do

Reactions: 1 user
If they're nice and thick, well-groomed and well-maintained then sure, it's not undesirable / unprofessional. But a lot of the times, beards are one of those things that people think they look better in then they actually do
What would you qualify as nice and thick?

How about something like this pic with a little more grooming on the neck:
1565999772954.png

View attachment 276568
Yeah if you look like that you're fine.

The point is though that 9/10 people who think they have a beard that looks like that, don't.

Reactions: 5 users

View attachment 276568

That beard does not look good for a professional situation. Nothing is trimmed, hairs pointing everywhere, too patchy near the top, etc... Crappy styles on good-looking people gives the impression it looks better than it is.

That beard does not look good for a professional situation. Nothing is trimmed, hairs pointing everywhere, too patchy near the top, etc... Crappy styles on good-looking people gives the impression it looks better than it is.

Maybe and 99 others looks as good as Liam hemsworth

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe and 99 others looks as good as Liam hemsworth

I don't think they have to worry about their outfit/grooming then. Their issue is going to be the multiple personality disorder. The stress levels of an interview, coupled with 100 personalities vying for control will be interesting.

Why are beards seen as undesirable/unprofessional? If they are clearly well-groomed and maintained, why would that reflect any worse on the applicant than if they just shaved it off?
At my interview on Monday, we had 7 men. 4 of us had beards. 2 were VERY well maintained *myself included :) *. Also, 8 of our 12 male MS2 through MS4 students had beards.

Not to say that this is reflective of the overall applicant pool, but I think that it is getting more-or-less OK.

I was more referring to the level of coverage of that beard. Not the level of maintenance.

I literally went out of my way to say "more grooming on the neck"!!!!!!!
And so you flip out when someone agrees with you....? The picture you posted is good morphology. Should be a little more trimmed and the neck should be groomed. You already pointed out the bad parts - you seem to know what is wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And so you flip out when someone agrees with you....? The picture you posted is good morphology. Should be a little more trimmed and the neck should be groomed. You already pointed out the bad parts - you seem to know what is wrong with it.
Come on now. Everyone knows that one exclamation point means enthusiasm. Two means anger. Three means fake enthusiasm. Any amount after that is ironic exclamation.

Also, 8 of our 12 male MS2 through MS4 students had beards.
This again gets into the "you can dress how you want when you're accepted." I wore a very gross mustache for a month of med school because of a list bet. I got more adventurous with ties and vests and colors for formal days in med school. And thats fine because I also was not an applicant.

Yeah if you look like that you're fine.

The point is though that 9/10 people who think they have a beard that looks like that, don't.
Much Like a belly button piercing.....

• Haha