AdComs, is it pretty un-acceptable for a male interviewee to not be in a formal suit? And have you had experiences where a guy did not wear a suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

ayjaystud

Am wondering if not wearing the regular suit and tie for a guy could raise eyebrows despite being presentable. Maybe something lighter like this?

1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Lol out of the question.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wear a suit. Don't stand out for the wrong reasons.

In my opinion, the only time it's understandable to not wear a suit is when your baggage is lost by the airline (this happens every year).

Reactions: 5 users
I think you're allowed to substitute your birthday suit instead

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Why risk it? A med school interview is something that can determine the course of the rest of your life. Don’t take silly chances

Only in question if it gets lost on the plane or it gets stolen by a taxi driver on the way there. And even then I’m STILL going to the closest department store to look for a replacement

• Haha
In general, it is a risk for a man to deviate from the norm when applying for a position. I advise sticking to the norm until you have status in your organization. Once you have status, you can become a fashion "do" (or "don't" depending on your taste level) with impunity.

Reactions: 2 users
I would generally not recommend it. There may exist special cases where you could pull this off; if you had that much fashion sense and knew the rules well enough to know you could break them in this way, you wouldn’t be asking this question.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Am wondering if not wearing the regular suit and tie for a guy could raise eyebrows despite being presentable. Maybe something lighter like this?

View attachment 275799

Why would you prefer this style over a conventional suit? What makes it an attractive choice? I'm really very curious about what is driving this question.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm curious, do med schools really care that much? I mean first impressions are important, but to all my veterinary school interviews I wore suit pants, a button up longsleeve, and dress shoes/toms, and I got accepted to multiple schools...

A medical school interview is a very important step in reaching your goal of becoming a physician. If you dont take the interview seriously, why should the interviewer,(Me), take you seriously?

• Love
It’s just professionalism. Especially in a career when what you wear when dealing with patients is important

I don’t think a dog will care if their doctor is wearing scrubs or not

Reactions: 3 users
I'm curious, do med schools really care that much? I mean first impressions are important, but to all my veterinary school interviews I wore suit pants, a button up longsleeve, and dress shoes/toms, and I got accepted to multiple schools...

When less than half of the applicants being interviewed will get offers of admission from that school, being unconventional in a setting where conventions and knowing how to dress for the occasion are important, could tip the balance.

I’d wear a suit. If you can pull off being “loud”, then I think it’s ok to do so, but still in the conventions of a suit.

I wore a grey suit, cause it was what I had (and I really didn’t know better). One doc told me, “you know they only admit people with dark suits.” I quipped I’d remember it next year.

I still got into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d wear a suit. If you can pull off being “loud”, then I think it’s ok to do so, but still in the conventions of a suit.

I wore a grey suit, cause it was what I had (and I really didn’t know better). One doc told me, “you know they only admit people with dark suits.” I quipped I’d remember it next year.

I still got into med school.

The doc was pulling your leg. For many years, everyone who showed up for interview was wearing a black suit and we didn't have any choice.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

View attachment 275799
Show up like that and we'll reject you. Read the very last line in my sig lines.

The only time we've seen people not shown up dressed professionally is when the airlines lost thier luggage. We cut those people some slack.

Now some homework for you: look up the definition of "professionalism."

Reactions: 2 users
Most people who get to the interview stage are perfectly acceptable candidates for acceptance, but adcoms have to winnow the field somehow. They'll use whatever reason they need. Just wear the suit.

Reactions: 4 users
Only in question if it gets lost on the plane or it gets stolen by a taxi driver on the way there. And even then I’m STILL going to the closest department store to look for a replacement

You really tip-toe the line during probation. Props. :bow:

I can recall only one person in the last 15 years who was not wearing a suit jacket at the interview. That person was in a wheelchair. Slack was cut given the circumstances.

Having seen a recent episode of Queer Eye, I now know that jackets can be cut down and tailored to work for a person who is seated in a wheelchair but I would not expect that of an applicant to med school in those circumstances.

In situations like interviews, the goal is to not stick out in any meaningful way. Unlike others in this thread I doubt that wearing the outfit included in the OP would actually result in something negative, but it introduces a risk (small though it may be) that is completely unnecessary.

It’s just professionalism. Especially in a career when what you wear when dealing with patients is important

I don’t think a dog will care if their doctor is wearing scrubs or not

I mean there is a level of professionalism required in any medical profession (veterinary included). I guess veterinarians are just much more relaxed, knowing that clothes are almost always covered in a white coat, or you're in clothes meant to get dirty. The typical outfit for a field veterinarian is jeans, button up shirt, and coveralls. The general outfit for a clinical veterinarian is similar to what physicians wear.

I guess I'm just glad that didn't make a difference. I guess if you're picking students post interview you might as well pick them out of a hat. You'll always have some students that are brilliant and no-brainers, some that you wonder how they got in, but the vast majority could be replaced by any other student from the interview pool just as well. At least that's what most faculty and adcoms say in Canada for professional schools.

yes, the culture differences between vet school and med school are very different if this was not already obvious to you.

Medicine is a very formal profession. Lives are at stake. You dress in a way that inspires confidence in you from your colleagues and patients. It is not a time to make a fashion statement.

And I would be worried about the critical thinking abilities of any person who, when invited to interview and told to wear a suit would decide “Naaa, I’ll ignore their instructions and wear this other thing instead!”

I mean there is a level of professionalism required in any medical profession (veterinary included). I guess veterinarians are just much more relaxed, knowing that clothes are almost always covered in a white coat, or you're in clothes meant to get dirty. The typical outfit for a field veterinarian is jeans, button up shirt, and coveralls. The general outfit for a clinical veterinarian is similar to what physicians wear.

I guess I'm just glad that didn't make a difference. I guess if you're picking students post interview you might as well pick them out of a hat. You'll always have some students that are brilliant and no-brainers, some that you wonder how they got in, but the vast majority could be replaced by any other student from the interview pool just as well. At least that's what most faculty and adcoms say in Canada for professional schools.

Dude of course the tradionional outfit for a vet is coveralls and jeans. You’re treating animals, they’re dirty. Surgeons wear scrubs for the same reason. However I would be highly concerned about anyone who wears scrubs to their interview day too.

And as for the replicability of applicants, I think that overlooks the important aspect of building a coherent class, which many schools take very seriously.

While many interviewees would probably make fine doctors, there is an aspect of finding people who’s temperament and disposition fit well with the culture of the school.

Show up like that and we'll reject you.

I guess that if you’re an influential fashion designer with a 4.0 from Harvard, a 525 MCAT, and an international nonprofit bringing clothes to underserved youth, you can’t get away with an unconventional appearance. Not even at your school, Goro. Or if you’re a world-class artist with stellar stats and a national nonprofit that’s been featured in the New York Times and 60 Minutes...you still can’t show up in a bright-red suit, or one covered in abstract art.

• Haha
I guess that if you’re an influential fashion designer with a 4.0 from Harvard, a 525 MCAT, and an international nonprofit bringing clothes to underserved youth, you can’t get away with an unconventional appearance. Not even at your school, Goro. Or if you’re a world-class artist with stellar stats and a national nonprofit that’s been featured in the New York Times and 60 Minutes...you still can’t show up in a bright-red suit, or one covered in abstract art.

HE IS BACK

• Haha
You would be correct. Read @gonnif above. He puts it in language millenials can understand.

• Haha
Have you ever seen a god tier applicant with a bright red suit, a 4.0 from MIT, and a couple first-author Nature papers?

• Haha
If you're gonna wear what's in the photo you posted might as well ditch the vest.

I do get that wearing a suit to hot places can be agony. I'm skinny and at a Florida interview in October the walk from the car to the school was killer.

But you need to be able to read basic social cues here.

I do get that wearing a suit to hot places can be agony. I'm skinny and at a Florida interview in October the walk from the car to the school was killer.

But you need to be able to read basic social cues here.
For those hot days in the South, I recommend "The Seersucker Candyman" (though I suspect several other guys will be dressed exactly like you). :)

1565899192729.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I am always amazed, astounded really that the best and brightest premeds, often do not comprehend that are trying to gain admission to the culture of medicine which expects professionalism and conformity. Most male clinical faculty are in conservative suits in navy, black or charcol, black shoes, modest haircuts, snd generally clean shaven.

Yet, I see people trying to become physicians, to plan the rest of their lives, worrying about their hair, their beards, their suits. Why risk the rest of your life. Go get a haircut, shave the beard, and buy a suit
Why are beards seen as undesirable/unprofessional? If they are clearly well-groomed and maintained, why would that reflect any worse on the applicant than if they just shaved it off?

Wait who was responsible for revoking Walt’s membership? Can we sign a petition or something?

Wait who was responsible for revoking Walt’s membership? Can we sign a petition or something?

He has been warned so many times. Im guessing he just came off a suspension.