ACLS Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTheo91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
renderTimingPixel.png

Hello everyone. I did a search but didn't find too much info from recent. A lot of contradictory info online.

Im a rising medicine intern. Scheduled to do ACLS certification starting in 2 days. Was wondering how hard you all prepped for ACLS. I have been reviewing the algorithms, doing online megacodes, and did the pre-course assessment and so far have been scoring well. Oddly enough my ACLS center never sent me the AHA book but rather their own powerpoint hand out which I reviewed. Should I bother to keep studying? Will I be able to fill any knowledge gaps during the actual course? Trying to find a balance between cramming for this and taking advantage of my time off while I have it.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reviewing the algorithms, doing online megacodes, and did the pre-course assessment and so far have been scoring well.

This is all you need to do. Please, PLEASE do no more. Pay attention during class, and enjoy the rest of your time before intern year starts!

Reactions: 8 users
renderTimingPixel.png

Hello everyone. I did a search but didn't find too much info from recent. A lot of contradictory info online.

Im a rising medicine intern. Scheduled to do ACLS certification starting in 2 days. Was wondering how hard you all prepped for ACLS. I have been reviewing the algorithms, doing online megacodes, and did the pre-course assessment and so far have been scoring well. Oddly enough my ACLS center never sent me the AHA book but rather their own powerpoint hand out which I reviewed. Should I bother to keep studying? Will I be able to fill any knowledge gaps during the actual course? Trying to find a balance between cramming for this and taking advantage of my time off while I have it.

Thanks in advance

Wtf r u talking about, no one studies for acls..you show up and learn everything from the class, take the test, then move on with your life...

Reactions: 1 user
You have every right to want to feel prepared for it, especially if you have limited experience with code situations. Heck, they will be your responsibility sooner rather than later. That said, you have probably done enough - and remember, you will likely have the algorithms in your shock/trauma rooms if not in your pocket. If anything, I would review the H's and T's and think about what reversible causes fit in each scenario. Best of luck!!

Brand new nurses pass ACLS. It's not like it was 20 years ago when they actually tried to fail you. Honestly, don't stress ACLS, you'll do fine.

If you're doing it this early you will most likely be doing it in a mixed class with ICU RNs, attendings who need to maintain their certification, and other housestaff. You'll find if you prepared this much that it should be super easy. Protip: always volunteer for the first case (likely cardiac arrest) - run the algo, and get out of there :) what I did the last times I recertified haha. The first case is always the easiest and the instructor usually has no expectations :p

Review the EKGs and you'll do great! Esp if you've been practicing the megacode scenarios. The instructors have a checklist of things you need to do during the assessment part - don't forget your H&Ts, drawing basic labs and targeted temp management/hypothermia. It's not that hard and the instructor will explain everything to you!

1. Have a pulse.
2. Know how to take a pulse.
3. Do pre-assessment if you'd like.
4. Learn the H's and T's.
5. Bring the little pocket thing to class.
6. Pay attention during the class
7. ????
8. Profit.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't even necessarily need to learn the H and Ts. If you rattle off the sequence with confidence and simply say you will assess for them at the proper point (plus or minus throwing in an example or two) the examiner will likely pass you without further grilling.

You don't even necessarily need to learn the H and Ts. If you rattle off the sequence with confidence and simply say you will assess for them at the proper point (plus or minus throwing in an example or two) the examiner will likely pass you without further grilling.

If you say the sequence without confidence and make a couple mistakes but eventually get everything mainly correct..you will still pass

I know he's probably already taken the test, just wanted to add that ACLS is basically a nursing certification, and it's certainly not a Pass/Fail examination as apposed to 20 years ago. Everyone passes.

Do NOT study for it. Don't waste your time. Have a few drinks.