Studying during 4th year and intern year prep advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imogen

Class of 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping for some residency prep advice - given I'll be joining your ranks in just a few months. I know the title of this makes me sound like a psycho. I swear I'm not? But I did just come off of my sub-i though and experienced a couple days of sheer horror at the amount of medicine I needed to know, still did not know, etc. Suffice it to say, the experience left me a little scared and I feel quite motivated at the moment to use 4th year to relax, yes, but also to try to keep on top of things I've learned - at least a little.

I do best when I am as prepared as I can be for things, and though I know NOTHING will prep me for intern year, I thought it might be a good idea to try to keep "studying" a little bit. One idea I had was to renew my Step2CK Uworld subscription which expires in 2 days. I felt Uworld was a really solid resource for clinical basics and the specialty I'm going into is very generalized. I also felt like doing a few questions a night was something I could realistically accomplish. The downside is that renewing is expensive...

Another idea I had was to simply watch MedEd videos. I'd always meant to finish them all. But never did. And a final option was to maybe read Step Up to Medicine or something like that. I never actually read it during my 3rd year though and I don't love that book. Personally, I felt like Uworld explanations were far more useful.

As residents who have been through this, do you guys think any of these ideas would be worth pursuing? Particularly the Uworld plan? If not, do you have any other advice? I'm an average student. I just don't want the vacation of 4th year to turn me into a dangerously stupid intern.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was hoping for some residency prep advice - given I'll be joining your ranks in just a few months. I know the title of this makes me sound like a psycho. I swear I'm not? But I did just come off of my sub-i though and experienced a couple days of sheer horror at the amount of medicine I needed to know, still did not know, etc. Suffice it to say, the experience left me a little scared and I feel quite motivated at the moment to use 4th year to relax, yes, but also to try to keep on top of things I've learned - at least a little.

I do best when I am as prepared as I can be for things, and though I know NOTHING will prep me for intern year, I thought it might be a good idea to try to keep "studying" a little bit. One idea I had was to renew my Step2CK Uworld subscription which expires in 2 days. I felt Uworld was a really solid resource for clinical basics and the specialty I'm going into is very generalized. I also felt like doing a few questions a night was something I could realistically accomplish. The downside is that renewing is expensive...

Another idea I had was to simply watch MedEd videos. I'd always meant to finish them all. But never did. And a final option was to maybe read Step Up to Medicine or something like that. I never actually read it during my 3rd year though and I don't love that book. Personally, I felt like Uworld explanations were far more useful.

As residents who have been through this, do you guys think any of these ideas would be worth pursuing? Particularly the Uworld plan? If not, do you have any other advice? I'm an average student. I just don't want the vacation of 4th year to turn me into a dangerously stupid intern.

Enjoy 4th year imo.

Intern year success isn't really about knowledge; it's showing up and doing the very crappy work without complaining to anyone. Be honest and reliable -- that'll take you much further than anything else. FWIW, I probably wouldn't have taken this advice when I was in your shoes -- I read Dubin's and skimmed a few other resources to be prepared -- didn't help much.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

Just wanted to say those OnlineMedEd videos are awesome. And most of it is free. There's intern focused content too.

There is no great way to prepare for intern year. Show up, work hard, be honest and you will be fine. There will be back up from senior residents and attendings for medical decision making, particularly in the first few months.

It is a terrifying but rewarding experience.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm just a medical student myself, but when I look at what makes a great resident vs a good one vs a bad one the differentiating factors sure as hell aren't their relative ability to do uworld questions. I just really question the utility of the resources you listed to help you be a good resident (with the possible exception of the OME intern content/guidebook). Look ahead of you and try to emulate residents you look up to, don't try to become better at being a third year medical student answering oftentimes inane pimp questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say not to blow off your entire 4th year. At least read something a little every day on UpToDate. Know management of common illness (eg, DKA, COPD exacerbation, PE/DVT, Afib.........etc.). And if they let you go home early because you are a matched 4th year, go home and enjoy the rest of your day but don't be that guy who hasn't read a single page of article for 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with patriot6 and ProfMD. Do some light reading to stay sharp and retain some things, however nothing can prepare you for intern year like intern year. Reading UpToDate and other resources is great and all, but it will fall out of your short-term memory bank as you are not living it and practicing it every day. Show up and work your ass off. Surround yourself with those that are deemed to be good. You will learn a lot from them. Read as you go along. Ask questions. Odds are, your program will pair you with the better residents the first few months of your training. They make great learning resources. Keep this up, and halfway through intern year you will look back with a sense of pride at how far you have come (and hopefully understand you still have a long way to go)

Reactions: 1 user